SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,561 of 14,773
What is the clear audio + ? Is it some form of EQ ? I know it is a Sony thing, and when it is on, all EQ is off. Anyone have any knowledges ?

From my experience this should be the last option to turn on :)

With good recorded songs, just flat plain settings is enough. You can keep the DSEE HX on as it just upscale non Hi Res songs, and it did improve the SQ. If thats still not fit your taste you can start to play the EQ, walkman's EQ really works well that will not degrade the SQ like some other brands. If you still looking for some special sounding experience, go for the Clear Audio Plus and enjoy the discotheque :rolleyes:

As usual, I do prefer default setting. No EQ, No Clear+, No DSEE HX; etc. I audit all my device with IE800, Noble K10, Roxanne, EarSonic Velvet, and JH13 Pro. The only complain on this device is heavy! Quiet heavy actually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,562 of 14,773
As usual, I do prefer default setting. No EQ, No Clear+, No DSEE HX; etc. I audit all my device with IE800, Noble K10, Roxanne, EarSonic Velvet, and JH13 Pro. The only complain on this device is heavy! Quiet heavy actually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the JH13 sound on the ZX2?

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,563 of 14,773
Should have mine on Tuesday. Getting the 13pros warmed up the h re600 and portapros.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,565 of 14,773
Been checking too . Calling venders ,high-end retail stores some say their getting it .but that's all they'll say.

Which high-end retail stores told you that they'd be getting it (assuming you're from the US)? I'd much rather test drive it before I consider buying it. Don't like to return stuff, too much of a hassle.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,566 of 14,773
Just received z2 today. Out of the box, pre-burn-in, it sounds very good. I have the P1, the AK100ii, the dx-90, the x-5 and the DX-100. I am using the se846, the ie800 and the Grado gr-10. So far with only limited comparisons the z2 exceeds them all in sq. I use no EQ on any of them. I will need a lot of extended listening time this weekend for different dap/iem combos to see what goes best where. So far count me very impressed!

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,567 of 14,773
Should have mine on Tuesday. Getting the 13pros warmed up the h re600 and portapros.

Well I'm looking forward to your impressions with the 13pros :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,568 of 14,773
Just received z2 today. Out of the box, pre-burn-in, it sounds very good. I have the P1, the AK100ii, the dx-90, the x-5 and the DX-100. I am using the se846, the ie800 and the Grado gr-10. So far with only limited comparisons the z2 exceeds them all in sq. I use no EQ on any of them. I will need a lot of extended listening time this weekend for different dap/iem combos to see what goes best where. So far count me very impressed!

Even better than the P1 that's high praise right there.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,569 of 14,773

That is the only word that registered in my brain from that sentence, Portapros are what I live for, kind of 
biggrin.gif
 Portapros rock with the ZX1, I am willingly to bet my life savings on ZX2 + Portapro being an epic pairing hehe.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,570 of 14,773
More observations: z2 far outclasse fiio x5 and ibasso dx-90. Closer to to P1 although P1 stills sounds warmer and more "analog" to me. The AK100ii has always had a little more detail than my P1 and the Z2 matches and exceeds it. The Z2 UI is the best of all of them although the P1 and AK100ii are definitely better than the x5 and the dx-90. As far as updating sd cards the P1 is the fastest by a long shot. That is very useful for otg use. It's hard to compare the dx-100 as I only use in desk top application because of size. It still sounds pretty good and as it was my first non-Apple player and oldest one I still use it on occasion. Will have more comments as I get more time this weekend.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,571 of 14,773
You should wait and let in burn in for 100hrs then compare away. I know having that new toy in the house and not 'playing' with it can be very difficult.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,572 of 14,773
You should wait and let in burn in for 100hrs then compare away. I know having that new toy in the house and not 'playing' with it can be very difficult.

You are very right! But this thing sounds very good out of the box! Listening to some16/44 files but mostly 24/96 and it really shines on some of my better recordings.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,573 of 14,773
I got my ZX2 a few days ago and have been using it with the UERM to see how much has changed with it. I haven't compared it in depth to the AK240 and to the original ZX1 but I really like the battery life, and I haven't even gone one full charge with it. It actually died after I fully charged it because when I plugged it in for the night my charger came loose and I didn't notice so I was able to test it as well for charging time.

So far the battery has been the highlight for me. 4 hours of standby gave me a 4-5% reduction in battery life, which is amazing compared to its younger brother and since my AK is set to kill itself after a certain time I was never able to test the battery of the AK in that way. So far listening for 45 mins gave a 3% reduction and that was after first charge so I have high hopes for this player. I am trying to get back my PHA-3 from a friend so I can try it with the ZX2.

Musicality-wise I have loaded it to the limit with various 16/44, MQS, and DSD files and used the Kaiser 10 and UERM. I notice that there is less midbass-bump compared to the ZX1, and it kind of makes the UERM boring, which is a good thing for those who like flat recordings. I also tried it with Spotify (Because Android) and I have noted a few things but the integration is fine so far. I just noted the typical compression issues, but other than that it works well. The K10 sounds beautiful with it as always (I'm biased, sue me).

I do have to note the ZX2 is much heftier than the ZX1, quite heavy but very solid in my hands. When I saw the original product placement pictures I imagined it thinner and lighter but the weight is probably due to the battery, which I do prefer.

It will be my companion for an upcoming 11 hour flight so I hope to make more observations by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back