SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 21, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #1,576 of 14,773
That is the only word that registered in my brain from that sentence, Portapros are what I live for, kind of :D  Portapros rock with the ZX1, I am willingly to bet my life savings on ZX2 + Portapro being an epic pairing hehe.

Then pairing with ksc 35's should also be good. That's what I have been using for years. Found them even better than the porta pros.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,577 of 14,773
Then pairing with ksc 35's should also be good. That's what I have been using for years. Found them even better than the porta pros.

They are the same driver as the Portapros. They just use the ear clip is all. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,578 of 14,773
^ KSC-35 indeed have identical drivers to the portapro, but they still sound different, even if you attach 35 driver assembly to portapro headband, the differences remain. Its actually because of the wiring, the 35 cable uses thinner gauge wire than portapro, meaning a higher impedance cable run (technically a bad thing), the result is lessened bass response and thus seemingly clearer mids. Personally, I love the portapro, even bought two of the limited anniversary editions for the nice color scheme.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,579 of 14,773
harmonix said:
You can keep the DSEE HX on as it just upscale non Hi Res songs, and it did improve the SQ.

Do you mean it upscales CD quality FLACs?

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,580 of 14,773
Found a little setting trick from japanese blog that can help lower the andriod load to the CPU.

Go to About device in Settings

Tap a few times on the Build number, it will told you how many time left you will become a developer :p

After you granted the Developer right, go back out to Setting screen and you will find a new Developer options setting, go into it.

Just scroll down to around the middle of all that setting options, you will find the following options:

Window animation scale
Transition animation scale
Animator duration scale

Just turn of these settings, and you can go back home, done.

And I had also disabled all that default google apps that I will not use on this device, save the cpu load a lot :wink:

Read this exact same advise as a way to improve a ruined Google Nexus 2012 tablet after the Lollipop upgrade. Didn't help mine but did help some.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #1,581 of 14,773
Hey guys, if anyone is looking for a new FX2, PM me.  I have one : new-in-box, never opened. . . . .  

d

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,582 of 14,773
^ KSC-35 indeed have identical drivers to the portapro, but they still sound different, even if you attach 35 driver assembly to portapro headband, the differences remain. Its actually because of the wiring, the 35 cable uses thinner gauge wire than portapro, meaning a higher impedance cable run (technically a bad thing), the result is lessened bass response and thus seemingly clearer mids. Personally, I love the portapro, even bought two of the limited anniversary editions for the nice color scheme.

True. They did not sound alike. More bass with the porta pros. There is a reason 35's are their most expensive version. Porta pro also clamped to your head harder than the 35's, which put even more emphasis on the bass. I go through a pair of 35's a year, then send them back to koss for warranty repair for $10. First thing that goes is the connection to left or right ear piece. The constant tugging on the cable eventually loses the connection. So now I buy two pairs, leave one wrapped until the other one goes out, because I can't be without them for the two months it takes to get the warranty pair mailed back. Look forward to trying them out with the zx2.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,583 of 14,773
Do you mean it upscales CD quality FLACs?

Official sony web page just noted:
"The [DSEE HX] function does not work for High-Resolution Audio files."
I think maybe yes? If Sonyvores is still around here I think he can answer this.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,584 of 14,773
Feb 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,585 of 14,773
My ZX2 arrived! 

First observations. This thing is build like a tank.
biggrin.gif
 It feels expensive as it should. Feels better in de hand too (and I have small hands) because of the rounded edges compared to my ZX1. It's alsmost the size of my Nexus 5. Buttons on the side are great, even better than on the ZX1 I think. As mentioned there are twice as many volume intervals (60 over 30 with ZX1) which is great. Always hated that with de ZX1 when I couldn't find the perfect volume for the song. 

Only lisened to the songs that came with the device for a few minutes with se846 (blue filter). I'm not great at this, but will try to describe wat I hear. I compare only to the ZX1 because that's the only other device I have. I can already say it's a big step up. Fuller (richer) sound with much more depth. More easy to listen to than the ZX1. For example, with higher volume on the ZX1 the voice of Lara Ruggels is too harsh in moments and unpleasant . No problem with the ZX2, does it with such ease and makes listening to every detail much easier. That's a big big plus for me already. I will try to give more impressions when I listened to more of my own music. 

Here some pics.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,587 of 14,773
I can't get the z2 to browse by folders. The folder for the sd card shows 0 songs even though I can access it through artist, albums etc. Any advices from new owners?

Actually ZX2 just shows the folders within music folder in SD and internal flash. So if you copy songs folder to your SD card, just create a music folder and drop things into it:wink:

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,588 of 14,773
  My ZX2 arrived! 

First observations. This thing is build like a tank.
biggrin.gif
 It feels expensive as it should. Feels better in de hand too (and I have small hands) because of the rounded edges compared to my ZX1. It's alsmost the size of my Nexus 5. Buttons on the side are great, even better than on the ZX1 I think. As mentioned there are twice as many volume intervals (60 over 30 with ZX1) which is great. Always hated that with de ZX1 when I couldn't find the perfect volume for the song. 

Only lisened to the songs that came with the device for a few minutes with se846 (blue filter). I'm not great at this, but will try to describe wat I hear. I compare only to the ZX1 because that's the only other device I have. I can already say it's a big step up. Fuller (richer) sound with much more depth. More easy to listen to than the ZX1. For example, with higher volume on the ZX1 the voice of Lara Ruggels is too harsh in moments and unpleasant . No problem with the ZX2, does it with such ease and makes listening to every detail much easier. That's a big big plus for me already. I will try to give more impressions when I listened to more of my own music. 

Here some pics.

How do you like the case?

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,589 of 14,773
@
  1. gus922 very nice photos ... congratulations .. how many cases does come with the player ?!!! ... i see a case in the box of the zx-2 on the left side with a latch on the bottom .... but the case in the other photos it don't seem to be the same case in the box 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,590 of 14,773

How do you like the case?

It's the most practical case available at the moment, I think? It looks good and the ZX2 fits like a glove. No problems using the side buttons. The flap has a build in magnet so it remains closed and it's easy to flap the flap
biggrin.gif
  backwards, as you can see in the picture where I'm holding it in my hand. It smells good too. 
wink.gif
  Finish is good for the price. Only thing I don't like as much is the top part. That's not leather on the outside but some sort of plastic. Not sure. All in all a nice case. I need it because I damaged my beautifull ZX1 a few times. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back