SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #30,467 of 45,723
Hi guys & gals,

Can anyone please recommend a short WMport to USB cable? I’d like to use the WM1Z as a DAC with my phone for streaming, but the stock charging cable is too long. I’ve seen a cheap one on eBay but just wondering if there’s a particular one that is recommended and fairly durable.

Thanks in advance!

I bought this genuine Sony WMC-NWH10 wmport to USB female from Amazon.

Here's the link.
Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FF086HE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_98kAksQicXOuQ

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #30,469 of 45,723
I have Shure SE846 and wonder if WM1A would be a perfect match for it? Besides that, which balanced cable do you guys recommend for this IEM?
The 1A should be a good choice because it is more neutral than the f.e. 1Z. You can even match the sound with using different firmwares.
Concerning a good cable... it depends on your budget.
Edit: the new low budget line from effect audio is a very good starting point.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #30,470 of 45,723
Hi guys & gals,

Can anyone please recommend a short WMport to USB cable? I’d like to use the WM1Z as a DAC with my phone for streaming, but the stock charging cable is too long. I’ve seen a cheap one on eBay but just wondering if there’s a particular one that is recommended and fairly durable.

Thanks in advance!
I bought this genuine Sony WMC-NWH10 wmport to USB female from Amazon.

Here's the link.
Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FF086HE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_98kAksQicXOuQ
Its a good idea. I also thought this. But again we need another adapter for connecting Mobile or PC. Cause its USB A Female. So far all small adapter I got are also USB A Female.
Lastly I ordered another normal cable ending USB A Male and cut it according to my need in a local electronic shop.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #30,471 of 45,723
But again we need another adapter for connecting Mobile or PC. Cause its USB A Female. So far all small adapter I got are also USB A Female.
Actually this Sony conversion cable is WMport <> USB A female, you just need a USB A male <> USB type C/B cable (common normal phone charging cable) to your phone via USB DAC of WM1A/1Z

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #30,472 of 45,723
The 1A should be a good choice because it is more neutral than the f.e. 1Z. You can even match the sound with using different firmwares.
Concerning a good cable... it depends on your budget.
Edit: the new low budget line from effect audio is a very good starting point.

I would say my budget is $499, and not sure if that would be sufficient for a good cable?

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #30,473 of 45,723
Long story short. I boughty wm1a in November 2016 through accesory jack.

How much will sony Gemany charge me for a battery replacement service?

To summarize my A has about 7000 playback hours and i charge it every 2 days, so the battery must habe arround 2800 charge cycles

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #30,474 of 45,723
Long story short. I boughty wm1a in November 2016 through accesory jack.

How much will sony Gemany charge me for a battery replacement service?

To summarize my A has about 7000 playback hours and i charge it every 2 days, so the battery must habe arround 2800 charge cycles

Sony spec the battery at 500 full cycles. You have not done 2800 full cycles but probably around 350-400. I’ve also had my 1Z for near 3 years and charge one a week so have done about 150 cycles so expect it to last another 6-7 years or more

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #30,475 of 45,723
I would say my budget is $499, and not sure if that would be sufficient for a good cable?
500$ is more than enough for a good cable.
It’s just a matter of taste than. The usual culprits are Effect Audio Eros II+ and Thor II (for 60$ more Thor II+). These are the standard models but you can also take a 8 braided version from Ares.
Besides Effect Audio there are some good cables from Lavricables and Plussound. Maybe PWAudio (I just know the expensive ones here).
I would recommend you to visit the homepage from twister6. He has many reviews from different manufacturers.

I would recommend the Ares II 8 braided or a copper cable from Plussound for the 1A. Silver can be a bit too analytical with the player (1Z is a better match in my opinion - of course there are exceptions).

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #30,476 of 45,723
433143BF-8837-4ADB-A232-8B6F09B097FE.jpeg 7113C9F0-7C4A-4F6C-9F09-BF67D307CEED.jpeg

My new WM1A arrived yesterday! Been using my LPG for almost 3 years-getting a little bored and wanted to try something different... after going through a couple of hundreds of pages of this thread pulled trigger on the 1A. What a beautifully machined player! So far enjoying the sound of it through the single ended with the EE LXs. Ordered some budget China 4.4 cables and still waiting...

One surprise is all my WAV files will not show Chinese correctly- did a little research and found the Sony’s won’t handle non-English characters correctly if the files are WAV. Converted an album into FLAC the words showed up correctly. Not that I can differentiate WAV from FLAC in sounds but this is quite annoying (seriously Sony??)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #30,478 of 45,723
Out of curiosity, is this connector only a charging/data cable adaptor or does it also let the WM1 connect to an amp via USB like the WMC-NWH10?

I would assume so but honestly can’t say as I have never connected to an amp

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #30,479 of 45,723

My new WM1A arrived yesterday! Been using my LPG for almost 3 years-getting a little bored and wanted to try something different... after going through a couple of hundreds of pages of this thread pulled trigger on the 1A. What a beautifully machined player! So far enjoying the sound of it through the single ended with the EE LXs. Ordered some budget China 4.4 cables and still waiting...

One surprise is all my WAV files will not show Chinese correctly- did a little research and found the Sony’s won’t handle non-English characters correctly if the files are WAV. Converted an album into FLAC the words showed up correctly. Not that I can differentiate WAV from FLAC in sounds but this is quite annoying (seriously Sony??)
If you like single end, balanced will blow you away.

Get a good balanced cable, and unfortunately quality is synonymous with price. When you have good synergy between iem, cable and player, it's music heaven!

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #30,480 of 45,723
If you like single end, balanced will blow you away.

Get a good balanced cable, and unfortunately quality is synonymous with price. When you have good synergy between iem, cable and player, it's music heaven!

That must be true! I’m actually a cable believer... a couple of years ago when I first got my pure silver and a copper Liz cables from Norne audio I was shocked with the difference I heard! I don’t think i’ll ever spend 1000s in a cable though- too rich for my blood. Been enjoying some of the budget Chinese cables recently. With around $50-60 a piece these sounds quite nice, probably close to the ~$200 nornes. And these are 8 cores, beefy yet super soft. The cheap Chinese cable thread has a lot of good recommendations and I may look into some of the more expensive ones over there (still less than $200).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back