SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #30,436 of 45,723
Nov 18, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #30,437 of 45,723
I'm a member of the WM1A club now. Will have mine Wednesday. The thing that prompted me to get this was the fact that phones are moving away from headphone jacks and even when using an adapter the sound just isn't as lively or loud. And there was an immediate difference between the WM1A at the Kuala Lumpur Sony store I demoed and my phone. Even the XBA-N3BP sang off the 1A and not my phone. I would go for the 1Z but that was just way too much money. It's worth it for those who want the ultimate but you can get Focal Clear + 1A for the price of 1Z. That's how I look at it

Yes, the N3 has the ability to wake up with 4.4mm from the 1A. The nicely detailed and relatively neutral output of the 1A goes a way to slightly subdue the N3 lower midrange emphasis. IMO The 1A definitely doesn’t add any lower midrange to the N3.....even though the 1A could be considered slightly warm. IMO

The XBA-N3 scaling ability allows the N3 with the 1A to open up, which is what the N3 needs. IMO

Be sure to note the 1A will be very subdued and flat sounding with 0 hours out of the box. I seemed to notice the biggest change from 0 to 50 hours. Then a big improvement at 100 hours. Sony says it’s not totally ready till 200 hours. They continue to improve after that. Someone on this thread has 7000 hours on theirs.

Pretty sure the N3 is the thickest sounding IEM I own? It has more bass in the lower mids than the XBA-Z5 and IER-Z1R. :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #30,438 of 45,723
I'm a member of the WM1A club now. Will have mine Wednesday. The thing that prompted me to get this was the fact that phones are moving away from headphone jacks and even when using an adapter the sound just isn't as lively or loud. And there was an immediate difference between the WM1A at the Kuala Lumpur Sony store I demoed and my phone. Even the XBA-N3BP sang off the 1A and not my phone. I would go for the 1Z but that was just way too much money. It's worth it for those who want the ultimate but you can get Focal Clear + 1A for the price of 1Z. That's how I look at it

Get stellia and 1z ) or ier-z1r and u can be set for life lol

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #30,439 of 45,723
Quick question, I have been reading the posts in this thread (I'm up to March 2019) and I have yet to run into a mention of a centralized page (like a wiki page) that lists all the changes each version of the firmware makes on our players, does a page like that exist?

That would be very helpful in helping people decide which version of the firmware to install base on the changes contained in them.

Unlike many other manufacturers that maintains a chronological list of changes for their firmware updates, Sony only list the information for the latest firmware version and a lists of the changes made by all previous firmware update combined.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #30,440 of 45,723
Get stellia and 1z ) or ier-z1r and u can be set for life lol

Part of the reason I wanted to go with 1A as well is the weight. Also Sony will be coming out with the streaming versions of these within the next 12 months or so I assume, I will be taking a plunge on the successor eventually. I still spend most of my time listening to music through my hi-fi systems vs portable audio. This one is mainly for using at the library or when sitting on the balcony or in bed or on walks. But at work (home office) it's all speakers all the time and in the living room as well and the theater room.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #30,441 of 45,723
I use 83 on low gain on wm1z when usin z1r .. after that it is too loud for me. I use 55 with my k10s on low gain. Are you using high gain ?
I use 83 on low gain on wm1z when usin z1r .. after that it is too loud for me. I use 55 with my k10s on low gain. Are you using high gain ?
Thanks for your reply. I use high gain from Balanced out. Usually remain within 55 to 65.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #30,442 of 45,723
There are some connectors that are properly made to convert 4.4 to 3.5. Brise Audio had convertors that do the job very well. I use their connectors to use my 3.5TRRS cable which was made for Oppo PM-1 with the WM NW 1Z
http://briseaudio.jp/en/portable/product/ConversionCable/str7conv.html
Interesting, just had a discussion on the ZX300 thread about 3.5 mm TRRS which works on the ZX2, WM1x, ZX300. Don't know about the ZX500, I used the 3.5 mm TRRS on the ZX2, and liked it over the normal TRS. Most people are not aware of the 3.5 mm TRRS separate grounds capability, and not that many people have a 3.5 mm TRRS cable.

If you already have a 3.5 mm TRRS, then you can use it. And yes, using an adapter to convert 3.5 mm TRRS to 4.4 mm balanced is an option. But unless you prefer the SQ of the 3.5 mm TRRS, there is no point to going down this path, instead of the 4.4 mm path.

However, for those people who like the 3.5 mm TRS SQ over the 4.4 mm balanced, then those people may like the sound of the 3.5 mm TRRS even more, and should try an adapter plug to convert their 4.4 mm cables to 3.5 mm TRRS.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #30,443 of 45,723
Yes, the N3 has the ability to wake up with 4.4mm from the 1A. The nicely detailed and relatively neutral output of the 1A goes a way to slightly subdue the N3 lower midrange emphasis. IMO The 1A definitely doesn’t add any lower midrange to the N3.....even though the 1A could be considered slightly warm. IMO

The XBA-N3 scaling ability allows the N3 with the 1A to open up, which is what the N3 needs. IMO

Be sure to note the 1A will be very subdued and flat sounding with 0 hours out of the box. I seemed to notice the biggest change from 0 to 50 hours. Then a big improvement at 100 hours. Sony says it’s not totally ready till 200 hours. They continue to improve after that. Someone on this thread has 7000 hours on theirs.

Pretty sure the N3 is the thickest sounding IEM I own? It has more bass in the lower mids than the XBA-Z5 and IER-Z1R. :)

it does sound thicker than both of them, but is so comfortable and just easy to wear. LOL after 6 years of Triple Fi.10, Sennheiser IE8 looping your earphone around the ear, it's nice to just pop it in for a change. And the comfort omg, what a welcome change. XBA-N5 and IER-Z1R both beat it for detail and clarity but I do enjoy the fun aspect of the N3. I want to get the IER-Z1R but want to see how much I use my earphones actually before making that kind of commitment/investment. If it's very frequent, only then.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #30,444 of 45,723
it does sound thicker than both of them, but is so comfortable and just easy to wear. LOL after 6 years of Triple Fi.10, Sennheiser IE8 looping your earphone around the ear, it's nice to just pop it in for a change. And the comfort omg, what a welcome change. XBA-N5 and IER-Z1R both beat it for detail and clarity but I do enjoy the fun aspect of the N3. I want to get the IER-Z1R but want to see how much I use my earphones actually before making that kind of commitment/investment. If it's very frequent, only then.

I agree the N3 is about the best fitting IEM.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #30,445 of 45,723
Quick question, I have been reading the posts in this thread (I'm up to March 2019) and I have yet to run into a mention of a centralized page (like a wiki page) that lists all the changes each version of the firmware makes on our players, does a page like that exist?

That would be very helpful in helping people decide which version of the firmware to install base on the changes contained in them.

Unlike many other manufacturers that maintains a chronological list of changes for their firmware updates, Sony only list the information for the latest firmware version and a lists of the changes made by all previous firmware update combined.

Thanks!

When the updates first came out there was a description of what changes they offered right on the Sony download page. Though there has never been an official description of any sound changes so far by Sony.

If there was a list of updates....you may find each person has an personal opinion about the sound differences.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #30,446 of 45,723
3.02 with a18t, I get more tighter strong healthy bass: not muddy like 3.01. More 3d, holographic and separation. This should turn your a12t to closer a18t level of performance. What I don't like is a bit bright or harsh on the high and treble boosted too much for my taste.

Hi guys, I just scored myself a pair of 64 Audio A12t from the recent pre-Black Fri sale, and for those who has a pair of these and can advise a good cable that goes well with WM1A (4.4mm)?

Also, could anyone tell me what is the connector type that goes into the A12t, please?

I have bought from LQi previously for a cable that goes between Oppo PM3 and WM1A, but the cable is thick as and I doubt it would be comfortable wrapping around my ears….

If anyone can share some light that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #30,447 of 45,723
When the updates first came out there was a description of what changes they offered right on the Sony download page. Though there has never been an official description of any sound changes so far by Sony.

If there was a list of updates....you may find each person has an personal opinion about the sound differences.

Exactly what I was saying.

Sony lists on the update page what the latest firmware suppose to fix or change and right below that is the list of ALL features and changes afforded by ALL previous firmware versions combines.

I'm not looking for information on what each firmware does to the sound of the player and yes I do understand that perceived changes in sound quality is highly subjective.

What I am looking for is the feature and fixes of each firmware. For example, the player might not have feature A before firmware 2.1 and with that information we individually can decide for ourselves if feature A is important to have if we already like the way the player sounds and want to keep it unchanged by staying on whatever firmware it's on.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #30,448 of 45,723
Exactly what I was saying.

Sony lists on the update page what the latest firmware suppose to fix or change and right below that is the list of ALL features and changes afforded by ALL previous firmware versions combines.

I'm not looking for information on what each firmware does to the sound of the player and yes I do understand that perceived changes in sound quality is highly subjective.

What I am looking for is the feature and fixes of each firmware. For example, the player might not have feature A before firmware 2.1 and with that information we individually can decide for ourselves if feature A is important to have if we already like the way the player sounds and want to keep it unchanged by staying on whatever firmware it's on.

Just a thought.

Thanks

As far as I can recall the 3 features that have come in fw updates are mqa support, bt receiver and usb dac. All the rest has been tweaks to existing features

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #30,449 of 45,723
As far as I can recall the 3 features that have come in fw updates are mqa support, bt receiver and usb dac. All the rest has been tweaks to existing features

Thanks for the reply.

I think you're right these were the 'big ones' we got from past firmware updates.

On the support page Sony lists the following as things addressed by past firmware updates:

Previous Benefits and Improvements
  • Corrects an issue where a time error is displayed while playing some MP3 content
  • Improves the operability when sorting the Bookmark List
  • The USB-DAC function has been added
  • The Bluetooth Receiver function has been added
  • A Vinyl Processor option has been added to the Sound Quality settings
  • A Digital Peak Meter has been added to the layout options on the Playback screen
  • A function for manually adding cover art images to albums has been added
  • aptX, "aptX HD" Bluetooth codec added
  • APE and MQA music formats added
  • Shuffle and repeat settings made available from the playback screen
  • Auto power off function added to prolong battery life
  • Methods of displaying song information increased
  • Other functions improved
  • Improved the response when the touch panel is pressed or scrolled
  • Addressed issues where the sound was skipping or cutting out under certain conditions
  • Addresses a rare issue where characters may become corrupted when Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese contents are displayed
  • Addressed the issue where characters in the WALKMAN display appear corrupted when Thai appears in the song titles, etc.
  • Addressed other issues

So if I know what firmware gave us what then I can decide what firmware version I have to stick with base on the features/bug fixes that are important to have for my player.

Again, just a thought.

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #30,450 of 45,723
Hi guys, I just scored myself a pair of 64 Audio A12t from the recent pre-Black Fri sale, and for those who has a pair of these and can advise a good cable that goes well with WM1A (4.4mm)?

Also, could anyone tell me what is the connector type that goes into the A12t, please?

I have bought from LQi previously for a cable that goes between Oppo PM3 and WM1A, but the cable is thick as and I doubt it would be comfortable wrapping around my ears….

If anyone can share some light that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cables are a very personal choice as the effects are subtle. You will not get a consensus on a specific cable for a given IEM or headphone. However to your other question, all 64 Audio IEMs use "custom 2 pin" connectors and should spec to 0.78mm pins. These are quite common on Headfi classified so you can get good deal. @twister6 has extensive cable review on his website twister6.com where he does a lot of comparisons. While everyone's hearing is different, comparisons are always useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back