SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #7,952 of 45,723
Oftenly i see people like to come out with conclusion after just testing Sony 3.5mm but they never tested the 4.4mm.

Then they will give comment like X is better than WM1.

1) The problem is WM1 needs burn in.
2) 4.4mm is the best it could offer.

I would rather Sony do aways with the 3.5mm and just leaves 4.4mm and support it with different kind of adapters.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #7,953 of 45,723
A question for WM1A owners..

Does the 3.5 mm jack wiggle while connected?

I received my WM1A day before yesterday, the unit is perfect except this little thing that I noticed. Is it normal?

mine does this too

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #7,954 of 45,723
Oftenly i see people like to come out with conclusion after just testing Sony 3.5mm but they never tested the 4.4mm.

Then they will give comment like X is better than WM1.

1) The problem is WM1 needs burn in.
2) 4.4mm is the best it could offer.

I would rather Sony do aways with the 3.5mm and just leaves 4.4mm and support it with different kind of adapters.

They should package it with adapters if it is essential and the SE is really that bad compared to balanced.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #7,956 of 45,723
Agreed with Nogi to definitely spend more time comparing (sonics and non sonics perspective). From my experience a tough call...almost every single time I've tried the 1Z from late Sept till now I feel the AK380Cu (can't speak much about the std AK380) has a more reference-y sound and the 1Z seems to have a smaller soundstage and a little warmer. At least IMHO there are more pros than cons for the AK380Cu than for the 1Z :-

• more referency than the 1Z
  • airier and wider soundstage
  • 2.5mm is more common than 4.4mm
  • less disparity between the 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm SE. To me on the 1Z the fact that it shines on 4.4mm and "just getting by" on 3.5mm SE is not a positive point for the 1Z (this isn't just power difference between balanced and SE, but DSD support between balanced and SE too).
  • AK380Cu alone is lighter and more compact (although more "edgey" in the hand but not really an issue in the hand)
  • faster UI
  • std microUSB connector

Despite this, I still bought the 1Z last week and the question remains if I'll keep both or if I'll get rid of one. But the reasons for buying the 1Z

• battery life (this deserves a 2 pointer ++)
  • 4.4mm is easier to solder than 2.5mm for DIY cables (not an issue if you don't , but I'm trying to make my own Utopia cables)
  • I'm probably bored of referency sound and like something "meatier" and prepared to sacrifice a little soundstage for it
  • more oomph in balanced compared to the AK380Cu standalone...naturally AK380Cu with amp will outdo the 1Z, however the AK380Cu+amp is then heavier than the 1Z

So bottom line, I ended up getting the 1Z pretty much mostly (but not solely) for non-sonic reasons but for more practical reasons (esp the battery life and the ease of soldering of 4.4mm). If I end up keeping both DAPs, I think it'll almost be inevitable that that the 1Z will spend more time with the Utopia, and the AK380Cu more time with out-and-about IEMs.
Sell the CU and get a DX200 for a more reference sound at much lower price.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #7,958 of 45,723
2 other things other than artwork issues i don't like about new Sony range.
Resets time music played all the time after connecting to pc or charging etc.
Doesn't remember bookmark list.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #7,959 of 45,723
I had used both Tag&Rename and Mp3Tag apps but personally still prefer Mp3Tag.
As for album arts not displaying is due to the images itself.
I had found that about 30% of my collection (so far) are unable to show up on Sony WM1a player, but have no problem with displaying in MediaGo, JR center, Sony ZX2 and Onkyo DP-X1.

And i think Sony shld at least improve on this with the future firmware upgrade... 
Funny thing is, I do enjoy looking at the album arts when I am listening to the music..
think they are a piece of arts, so album arts are definitly importance to me..IMO

rgds

Yeah, me too, little things like that make me happy.
Have you ever found out what sets these 30 % apart from the rest of the pics?

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #7,960 of 45,723
Is the WM1Z / WM1A finally real highend in ALL terms of the device or did they again install a display that is worse than an 80$ smarthpones display? Can you read it in the sun or is it a big black / golden brick like the Sony ZX1 and ZX2?

Is the interface still laggy while scrolling through your tracks? On the first videos I saw the interface lagged too much for such a high end device.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #7,961 of 45,723

Agreed with Nogi to definitely spend more time comparing (sonics and non sonics perspective). From my experience a tough call...almost every single time I've tried the 1Z from late Sept till now I feel the AK380Cu (can't speak much about the std AK380) has a more reference-y sound and the 1Z seems to have a smaller soundstage and a little warmer. At least IMHO there are more pros than cons for the AK380Cu than for the 1Z :-

1. more referency than the 1Z
  2. airier and wider soundstage
  3. 2.5mm is more common than 4.4mm
  4. less disparity between the 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm SE. To me on the 1Z the fact that it shines on 4.4mm and "just getting by" on 3.5mm SE is not a positive point for the 1Z (this isn't just power difference between balanced and SE, but DSD support between balanced and SE too).
  5. AK380Cu alone is lighter and more compact (although more "edgey" in the hand but not really an issue in the hand)
  6. faster UI
  7. std microUSB connector

Despite this, I still bought the 1Z last week and the question remains if I'll keep both or if I'll get rid of one. But the reasons for buying the 1Z

1. battery life (this deserves a 2 pointer ++)
  2. 4.4mm is easier to solder than 2.5mm for DIY cables (not an issue if you don't , but I'm trying to make my own Utopia cables)
  3. I'm probably bored of referency sound and like something "meatier" and prepared to sacrifice a little soundstage for it
  4. more oomph in balanced compared to the AK380Cu standalone...naturally AK380Cu with amp will outdo the 1Z, however the AK380Cu+amp is then heavier than the 1Z

So bottom line, I ended up getting the 1Z pretty much mostly (but not solely) for non-sonic reasons but for more practical reasons (esp the battery life and the ease of soldering of 4.4mm). If I end up keeping both DAPs, I think it'll almost be inevitable that that the 1Z will spend more time with the Utopia, and the AK380Cu more time with out-and-about IEMs.

You may enjoy the 1Z a great deal better once the burn in process is completed.  i compared a new and broken in 1Z units last week and the improvement is very discernible.  the broken unit is more effortless sounding with noticeably much better depth into the soundstage and there are noticeably more details in the lower bass region as well.  i personally dont find the 1Z to be overly warmed, in fact just a touch warmer than neutral.  I also think that Sony put more effort in balanced than SE output.  DSD is converted into PCM on SE but remained in pure DSD in balanced.  4.4mm over 2.5mm all the way.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #7,962 of 45,723
  You may enjoy the 1Z a great deal better once the burn in process is completed.  i compared a new and broken in 1Z units last week and the improvement is very discernible.  the broken unit is more effortless sounding with noticeably much better depth into the soundstage and there are noticeably more details in the lower bass region as well.  i personally dont find the 1Z to be overly warmed, in fact just a touch warmer than neutral.  I also think that Sony put more effort in balanced than SE output.  DSD is converted into PCM on SE but remained in pure DSD in balanced.  4.4mm over 2.5mm all the way.

I didn't wanna mention too much about burn-in 'cos in the cases I tested the 1Z back in Sept/Oct & Dec, they were the Sony designer's, show demos, and Jude's and I'm sure they've been well burnt in. Further more, at least in my opinion (folks are more than welcome to oppose my thoughts), I don't think burn in should be so severe that it'll make/break one's decision in buying a product. Otherwise fresh demos on shelves would be a major disservice to the product. Personally I don't think I've come across any DAP that's change so dramatically different new vs burnt in that it'll sway a potential buyer's decision from not buying to buying.

Anyhow for -me- I now have both the 1Z and the AK380Cu.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #7,963 of 45,723

I didn't wanna mention too much about burn-in 'cos in the cases I tested the 1Z back in Sept/Oct & Dec, they were the Sony designer's, show demos, and Jude's and I'm sure they've been well burnt in. Further more, at least in my opinion (folks are more than welcome to oppose my thoughts), I don't think burn in should be so severe that it'll make/break one's decision in buying a product. Otherwise fresh demos on shelves would be a major disservice to the product. Personally I don't think I've come across any DAP that's change so dramatically different new vs burnt in that it'll sway a potential buyer's decision from not buying to buying.

Anyhow for -me- I now have both the 1Z and the AK380Cu.

I actually have two 1Zs and definitely not intentionally wanting to buy both, however, my earlier preorder unit (3 months delay) finally came in last week.  Thanks to USPS poor handling of my package, i had no choice but to check the operation and the condition of the unit....so I used that opportunity to compare the older and new units.  So this little test was done side by side.  Of course, i will have to place the newer unit on sale next week.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #7,964 of 45,723
  I actually have two 1Zs and definitely not intentionally wanting to buy both, however, my earlier preorder unit (3 months delay) finally came in last week.  Thanks to USPS poor handling of my package, i had no choice but to check the operation and the condition of the unit....so I used that opportunity to compare the older and new units.  So this little test was done side by side.  Of course, i will have to place the newer unit on sale next week.

Nice...lovely USPS :D. I can only thank for the efficiency and reliability of Japanese Post.

I have no doubt there are differences between new and burnt in, but as per formerly stated, I don't think burn-in should be so severe that it's a deal breaker for a potential sale. Anyhow, my earlier recommendation post in #7946 was based on demo "burnt in" units of 1Z rather than new.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #7,965 of 45,723
Nice...lovely USPS :D. I can only thank for the efficiency and reliability of Japanese Post.

I have no doubt there are differences between new and burnt in, but as per formerly stated, I don't think burn-in should be so severe that it's a deal breaker for a potential sale. Anyhow, my earlier recommendation post in #7946 was based on demo "burnt in" units of 1Z rather than new.

Make sure you are using Wm1z with upgraded cables and from 4.4mm balanced. It makes a huge different rather than stock z1r 4.4 cables or SE. I had been there, done that, and I was not happy, seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back