SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #7,937 of 45,723
Very very true ! And man, I am glad to see the 4.4mm Pentaconn being more available now. Btw Anakchan, is there a way to physically distinguish the lower-end Pentaconn vs the higher-end that uses Copper base metal one ? Thank you

I've not tried. My Sony NW setup with Brise cables are all new (literally talking about 3-4 days old and my WM1Z is only on it's 38 hr of burn in (same with my Brise cable)

Didn't Sony show a preference by stating what internal wiring they use in the 1Z? There are many wire manufactures out there. 

There's a diff in a collaboration with a cable maker in the manufacturing of the DAP vs using a 3rd party maker adapter in demo displays. Further note that I believe "officially" the cables are termed something along the lines of "Sony Cables Engineered in collaboration with Kimber Kables" rather than just "Kimber Kables in Sony player".

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #7,938 of 45,723
Didn't see this addressed, but Canjam NYC is coming up soon, eh? You can try the 1Z and entire Sony Signature lineup there :)

Def try it before you sell the 380. I demo'd the 380 and the 1z side by side last week and overall I preferred and bought the 380. Both sound incredible but I slightly preferred the sound of the 380 and def prefer the portable ergonomics and design of the 380 - for my needs anyway.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #7,939 of 45,723
Def try it before you sell the 380. I demo'd the 380 and the 1z side by side last week and overall I preferred and bought the 380. Both sound incredible but I slightly preferred the sound of the 380 and def prefer the portable ergonomics and design of the 380 - for my needs anyway.

That 1Z wasn't burnt in, then :p Kidding aside, this is a 1A/1Z thread, so it's obvious what people prefer here, but I agree that it's important to make the best choice for yourself. I also tried both before committing to the 1Z, and I'd take the 1Z over the 380+amp any day. 'Course my wallet would have preferred that I not have tried anything...

Edit: One thing I'd add, try the 1Z via the balanced output. It's a noticeable improvement over the SE output

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #7,940 of 45,723
I really really like them both.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #7,942 of 45,723
Jan 21, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #7,943 of 45,723

Ok, care to clarify something ? How did you compare them both ?

Balanced to balanced ?upgraded cables to upgraded cables ? Or were it the case of typically balanced & upgraded cables AK VS WM1Z stock cables ?

Honestly, the Wm1z really needs an upgrade cables and balanced 4.4mm to sound it best. I have been there and done that

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #7,944 of 45,723
Ok, care to clarify something ? How did you compare them both ?

Balanced to balanced ?upgraded cables to upgraded cables ? Or were it the case of typically balanced & upgraded cables AK VS WM1Z stock cables ?

Honestly, the Wm1z really needs an upgrade cables and balanced 4.4mm to sound it best. I have been there and done that

SE on both. Using my own gear - K10's with PW Audio No 5 cable and Katana with PW Audio 1960's 2 wire cable.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #7,945 of 45,723
SE on both. Using my own gear - K10's with PW Audio No 5 cable and Katana with PW Audio 1960's 2 wire cable.

Ok, then I will be fair and say this. AK380 built has excellent SE, however the WM1Z was built around the balanced out 4.4mm. The proof is that AK380 uses Ribbon cables to internally connecting to it main board (only the external AK amp got it directly on board, in another word, the best AK balanced out needs Amp). Then WM1Z can only do native DSD in balanced 4.4mm and the best of WM1Z is balanced 4.4mm.

SE from Walkman even Zx2 was not that great, but using it with Separated grounds or even 3.5 mm TRRS would be the main design of Walkman SE, so by using standard 3.5mm SE, you are comparing the worse of Walkman into the best of AK380 SE, AK380 can only be better with balanced out from the external-amp.

Trust me, go try an AK380+amp and balanced out, then try WM1Z with upgraded cables from 4.4mm, and see for yourself. When I compare products, I usually compare each best performances to another best performances.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #7,946 of 45,723

Agreed with Nogi to definitely spend more time comparing (sonics and non sonics perspective). From my experience a tough call...almost every single time I've tried the 1Z from late Sept till now I feel the AK380Cu (can't speak much about the std AK380) has a more reference-y sound and the 1Z seems to have a smaller soundstage and a little warmer. At least IMHO there are more pros than cons for the AK380Cu than for the 1Z :-

1. more referency than the 1Z
  2. airier and wider soundstage
  3. 2.5mm is more common than 4.4mm
  4. less disparity between the 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm SE. To me on the 1Z the fact that it shines on 4.4mm and "just getting by" on 3.5mm SE is not a positive point for the 1Z (this isn't just power difference between balanced and SE, but DSD support between balanced and SE too).
  5. AK380Cu alone is lighter and more compact (although more "edgey" in the hand but not really an issue in the hand)
  6. faster UI
  7. std microUSB connector

Despite this, I still bought the 1Z last week and the question remains if I'll keep both or if I'll get rid of one. But the reasons for buying the 1Z

1. battery life (this deserves a 2 pointer ++)
  2. 4.4mm is easier to solder than 2.5mm for DIY cables (not an issue if you don't , but I'm trying to make my own Utopia cables)
  3. I'm probably bored of referency sound and like something "meatier" and prepared to sacrifice a little soundstage for it
  4. more oomph in balanced compared to the AK380Cu standalone...naturally AK380Cu with amp will outdo the 1Z, however the AK380Cu+amp is then heavier than the 1Z

So bottom line, I ended up getting the 1Z pretty much mostly (but not solely) for non-sonic reasons but for more practical reasons (esp the battery life and the ease of soldering of 4.4mm). If I end up keeping both DAPs, I think it'll almost be inevitable that that the 1Z will spend more time with the Utopia, and the AK380Cu more time with out-and-about IEMs.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #7,947 of 45,723
Ok, then I will be fair and say this. AK380 built has excellent SE, however the WM1Z was built around the balanced out 4.4mm. The proof is that AK380 uses Ribbon cables to internally connecting to it main board (only the external AK amp got it directly on board, in another word, the best AK balanced out needs Amp). Then WM1Z can only do native DSD in balanced 4.4mm and the best of WM1Z is balanced 4.4mm.

SE from Walkman even Zx2 was not that great, but using it with Separated grounds or even 3.5 mm TRRS would be the main design of Walkman SE, so by using standard 3.5mm SE, you are comparing the worse of Walkman into the best of AK380 SE, AK380 can only be better with balanced out from the external-amp.

Trust me, go try an AK380+amp and balanced out, then try WM1Z with upgraded cables from 4.4mm, and see for yourself. When I compare products, I usually compare each best performances to another best performances.

I unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to test either of them balanced. I did get the amp also for the 380 though - thrown in for free. My decision was influenced by factors beyond just sonics however, i like the UI on both, I like the physical design of both with a slight edge (pardon the pun) to the 380. Not a fan of the gold colour of the 1z but a case fixes that. The huge positive for the Sony's outside of sonics is the battery life, however the main turnoff for the 1z was the weight. Inevitably I will drop the dap and I feel with the weight of the 1z that could be catastrophic, so no deal.

Here in Australia there are no 1A's to demo so I was also cautious about buying the 1z without having heard the 1a to compare. When the 1A becomes available here I will probably pick that up for the great battery and balanced performance etc and potentially get a 1z down the line. If I like the usability of the 1a.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #7,948 of 45,723
There's a diff in a collaboration with a cable maker in the manufacturing of the DAP vs using a 3rd party maker adapter in demo displays. Further note that I believe "officially" the cables are termed something along the lines of "Sony Cables Engineered in collaboration with Kimber Kables" rather than just "Kimber Kables in Sony player".

Point taken. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #7,950 of 45,723
A question for WM1A owners..

Does the 3.5 mm jack wiggle while connected?

I received my WM1A day before yesterday, the unit is perfect except this little thing that I noticed. Is it normal?

Mine will move side to side, if that is what you mean. It moves more than a couple of my other players. I hadn't noticed until you asked this, thanks. lol 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back