SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #7,922 of 45,723
Sorry if this has been posted before I haven't kept track of the thread but PDF of Service Manual for the 1Z/1A lebellium posted on a french forum : 
https://goo.gl/Zw8m8Q

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #7,923 of 45,723
Wm1Z with Z1R and stock cables ....Suck! Now I understand why there were such a mix impression coming from WM1Z. Those who were able to at least audition WM1Z with Kimber cables would have positive impressions, and those who did with stock cables would have negative impressions !

In my case, stock Z1R 4.4mm cables Suck! With Wm1Z. Bass was booming, soundstage is narrowed in the inner circles, and so some subtlest details got suppressed. Now with this cables, it opened up, better soundstage, better bass dynamics and controls, and better subtles details.

For a moment I was comparing between opus #2 and WM1Z using my Z1R. However, the differences were the cables I made for Opus #2, and while WM1Z was stuck with stock 4.4mm cables. In these moments, I always found Opus #2 to have better soundstage and better balanced with better finesses. Now, I will be putting up a fair fight between these 2 devices, but now I am loving WM1Z more: can not beat this soundstage, the smoothness, the analog musicality all together. Opus #2 only advantage here is being more Balanced than WM1Z which is more into analog feeling but surprisingly not lacking any details.

It is sad to say but owning WM1Z, you are owning a "beast" of a portable device. However, it comes leashed from the manufacturer, and if you want to "unleash the beast". Do buy better Upgraded cables, and use Balanced out 4.4mm

Think about it though, WM1Z was built on every premium parts and components available ATM, why would you want to stick with the cheap stock cables ? Unleash it ! Because the premium quality of WM1Z built, it scales very crazy with upgraded cables

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,924 of 45,723
Just thought id stick my 2 cents worth in on the album art thing, all I do is open the picture of the album be it from Google or album art.org etc with paint and resize it to 500x500 and save as JPEG , I've tagged over 2000 albums with that method and mp3tag and everything works perfect.

been using tag and rename for eons

it'll find the screenart for you in your browser and you can drag and drop
it'll automagically resize perfectly
does a million things and well

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #7,925 of 45,723
Jan 21, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #7,926 of 45,723
I had used both Tag&Rename and Mp3Tag apps but personally still prefer Mp3Tag.
As for album arts not displaying is due to the images itself.
I had found that about 30% of my collection (so far) are unable to show up on Sony WM1a player, but have no problem with displaying in MediaGo, JR center, Sony ZX2 and Onkyo DP-X1.

And i think Sony shld at least improve on this with the future firmware upgrade... 
Funny thing is, I do enjoy looking at the album arts when I am listening to the music..
think they are a piece of arts, so album arts are definitly importance to me..IMO

rgds

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #7,927 of 45,723
Man, if I was Sony, I would display WM1Z demo with high quality adaptors on the side. Even if they were not to include it in the box for the product. Demo unit a need to let people fully expose it potentials

A/ 2.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm
B/ 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm

By this, people can audition the system with their good cables, just because stock cables suck so bad :frowning2: . It is as bad as that it would break or make the deal decision kind of impact

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #7,928 of 45,723
Man, if I was Sony, I would display WM1Z demo with high quality adaptors on the side. Even if they were not to include it in the box for the product. Demo unit a need to let people fully expose it potentials

A/ 2.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm
B/ 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm

By this, people can audition the system with their good cables, just because stock cables suck so bad
frown.gif
. It is as bad as that it would break or make the deal decision kind of impact

Sony can't unless it's their own cables. Otherwise they'll be demonstrating preferences to certain 3rd party adapter makers. However their displays in resellers are already doing that :-

(from e-earphone's twitter)

Note 3.5mm TRRS doesn't seem as popular as the 2.5mm TRRS so probably won't find as many 3.5mm TRRS -> 4.4mm balanced out there. As mentioned, probably harder for Sony to do so at their own stores however you could ask your local independent reseller to do as what e-earphone's done above.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #7,929 of 45,723
Sony can't unless it's their own cables. Otherwise they'll be demonstrating preferences to certain 3rd party adapter makers. However their displays in resellers are already doing that :-

Note 3.5mm TRRS doesn't seem as popular as the 2.5mm TRRS so probably won't find as many 3.5mm TRRS -> 4.4mm balanced out there. As mentioned, probably harder for Sony to do so at their own stores however you could ask your local independent reseller to do as what e-earphone's done above.

Very very true ! And man, I am glad to see the 4.4mm Pentaconn being more available now. Btw Anakchan, is there a way to physically distinguish the lower-end Pentaconn vs the higher-end that uses Copper base metal one ? Thank you

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #7,930 of 45,723

Didn't Sony show a preference by stating what internal wiring they use in the 1Z? There are many wire manufactures out there. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #7,931 of 45,723
Very very true ! And man, I am glad to see the 4.4mm Pentaconn being more available now. Btw Anakchan, is there a way to physically distinguish the lower-end Pentaconn vs the higher-end that uses Copper base metal one ? Thank you

I have gotten some 4.4 TRRRS and some of the more expensive are still using steel for the center pin/conductor! So even if those are primarily copper, you have steel in the signal path. I got some directly from China that are none magnetic and very well made. You just never know. Furutech makes some of the best stuff but they don't have any 4.4 yet and even most of their plugs aren't copper. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #7,932 of 45,723
I have gotten some 4.4 TRRRS and some of the more expensive are still using steel for the center pin/conductor! So even if those are primarily copper, you have steel in the signal path. I got some directly from China that are none magnetic and very well made. You just never know. Furutech makes some of the best stuff but they don't have any 4.4 yet and even most of their plugs aren't copper. 

No, Pentaconn disclosed that their higher-end version use Pure OFC base metal and gold-plated. I think Anakchan linked it here before. Though, I agree about common plugs that is being used by common manufacturers, and cheaper pricing plugs

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #7,934 of 45,723
No, Pentaconn disclosed that their higher-end version use Pure OFC base metal and gold-plated. I think Anakchan linked it here before. Though, I agree about common plugs that is being used by common manufacturers, and cheaper pricing plugs

I didn't mean there weren't any being made out of copper but try to find some that is the issue. All in time, like most things audiophile. :^) 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back