SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #7,831 of 45,723

I drained mine almost flat copying my files from my iMac to it (3 hrs copy and the other 3 hrs idle but I was sleeping overnight). But I guess that's not a regular thing to do such mass copying so not a big deal.

Shouldn't it also be charging while the files were being copied over via the cable?

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #7,832 of 45,723
  Shouldn't it also be charging while the files were being copied over via the cable?

That was what I was expecting but I guess it didn't last night. Was surprised to see 1 bar left when I woke up this morning (was fully charged last night).

One of the reason why I've been asking so many questions these past few hrs as I'm unfamiliar with the day-to-day operation of this despite having heard it many times at the shop, Sony lab, borrowed Jude's, etc. If there's something wrong with mine then I'd like to get it addressed quickly.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #7,837 of 45,723
Just to confirm the WM port and the include cable (WM to USB) can only do charging and files transfer.  It does not output digit signal to a DAC like Hugo, right? And it doesn't have any other function?

For you wm1 to work with hugo or mojo you need the one that has the chip in it see picture
Only this one work with hugo and mojo

This on will not work with hugo and mojo and only work with pha2, pha3

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #7,838 of 45,723
Hey, i haven't been following the thread in a while, but I wanted to ask ,where do you acquire quad DSD (DSD512, right?) files from? Which online marketplace has those?

Quad DSD is DSD256
Octuple DSD is DSD512

I only buy Japanese songs, I got mine from OTOTOY.

Not many companies do Quad DSD.
Too space consuming. Not many would want to use 1GB for 1 song.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #7,839 of 45,723
1) It looks like when charging, the 1Z is always on - i.e. it can't be switched off, and have it charging in off-mode
2) about 2 hrs later it jumped to FULL. I was expecting to see the bars to turn solid one by one to indicate progress of charge but it just seemed to have gone from all flashing bars to FULL after 2 hrs.
Are the two above normal? If so, then esp for #2, how does one see the progress of the charge?

I've never watched my WM1Z's battery indicator to guage progress except the very first time I plugged my unit in... I have the 'Battery Care' option enabled so that it doesn't charge past 90% and I've noticed that the 'missing' 10% isn't registered by the indicator rendering it a tad inaccurate.
1) There isn't a way to turn the unit off when charging
2) On an Intelligent Charge 2A mains charger my unit charges from empty to full in a shade over 2hrs. I've had two WM1Zs and they both charge this quickly.
To guage progress, I don't rely on the progress bar, I look at the red LED indicator (between the power and volume up buttons) which turns off when charging is complete.

I've looked everywhere under settings and there's nowhere which gives an accurate percentage of battery levels, which would have been nice.
For 'Standby Time' I went away over Christmas through to the first week of this month and forgot to turn my unit off (not playing) after a couple of hours play the day before. When I returned some three and a half weeks later, my unit had the 'low battery' indicator displayed. That's pretty good going but would like an auto-power off feature when not in use for long periods in order to conserve battery.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #7,840 of 45,723

Quad DSD is DSD256
Octuple DSD is DSD512

I only buy Japanese songs, I got mine from OTOTOY.

Not many companies do Quad DSD.
Too space consuming. Not many would want to use 1GB for 1 song.

I see, I see. Actually I've got a Ototoy account too, but haven't checked it out in a while, since way before I got my 1Z. I'll go back and check it out later, didn't really look at their DSD section last time 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #7,841 of 45,723
I see, I see. Actually I've got a Ototoy account too, but haven't checked it out in a while, since way before I got my 1Z. I'll go back and check it out later, didn't really look at their DSD section last time :p

Suara's songs are nice.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #7,842 of 45,723
For you wm1 to work with hugo or mojo you need the one that has the chip in it see picture
Only this one work with hugo and mojo

This on will not work with hugo and mojo and only work with pha2, pha3

Thanks for the info. Where do you find the above items? Also, once the signals is extracted out of the unit why is it matter where they go? Pha2, pha3, Hugo, Mojo or any DAC that accept digital signals? And do you know if the full signal is extracted or only limited to certain level of DSD?

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #7,843 of 45,723
Doeas anybody know why the Walkmans do not display some embedded artwork, its really such a waste of time:angry_face:

Indeed. No matter what I try, MediaGo or no MediaGo, it just won't work in areliable fashion. Every software player I have shows the artwork, it even displays in MediaGo, but as soon as the files are transferred to the Walkman -- poof, gone! So annoying.

Edit: Format is .jpg and files are definitely not too large, btw.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #7,844 of 45,723
Indeed. No matter what I try, MediaGo or no MediaGo, it just won't work in areliable fashion. Every software player I have shows the artwork, it even displays in MediaGo, but as soon as the files are transferred to the Walkman -- poof, gone! So annoying.

Edit: Format is .jpg and files are definitely not too large, btw.

Just a shot in the dark but find an 'offending track':
1. Use MP3Tag and load the track
2. Extract the album art from the track (also make sure there's only 1 image loaded to the track, not more)
3. Remove the album art from the track and 'save'
4. Rename the previously extracted art to something like 'cover.jpg' or 'folder.jpg' in its extracted folder
5. 'Add' the newly name album art to the blank track and 'save'

Load the music again and see what that does.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #7,845 of 45,723
Thanks for the info. Where do you find the above items? Also, once the signals is extracted out of the unit why is it matter where they go? Pha2, pha3, Hugo, Mojo or any DAC that accept digital signals? And do you know if the full signal is extracted or only limited to certain level of DSD?

I have this combination ,

cannot speak for the other DAC/amps but my PHA2A takes the digital out from the WM1A whatever it is Dsd / pcm etc and I get the same output via the balanced 4.4mm on the PHA2A and on the 3.5mm output the Dsd is down converted to 24/192 pcm just like the WM1A's SE if that makes sense to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back