SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #12,451 of 45,723
Speaking of portability - a few days ago I was at the Sony Ginza store and came across this:

20170604_032531764_iOS.jpg

A specially designed pouch for the WM1 series that has multiple attachment configurations. I believe this is an exclusive item to Sony's Japan store. At 15,800yen ex tax it's not exactly a cheap pouch, but it's made in Japan and after handling the the demo I immediately pulled the trigger.

20170608_173217715_iOS.jpg

When closed it's a pretty normal looking fabric pouch that doesn't attract attention to itself.

20170608_173231002_iOS.jpg

Opened up it's a tri-fold arrangement with the holder for the Walkman set in the center. It's a bit hard to see due to the contrast but on the right flap is a small compartment for micro-SD cards, and on the left is big mesh pocket that is designed to hold things like earphones or the BT remote. While the holder for the Walkman was obviously designed for the Walkman when it is naked but it also has just enough give to it that I can push the Walkman into even when it is still in the Dignis case. There's also enough room when the case closes that I can slip my fingers down the opening and operate the hardware control buttons, but I think that's really because I have thin fingers lol.

20170608_173250621_iOS.jpg

The multiple attachment configuration is what I really like about this case. There's the sling which comes with the case so you can wear it across your chest like a messenger bag, the multiple magic tape flaps also allows you to attach the case to a belt vertically or horizontally. Or you can even attach the case to the sling belt of another bag. Almost endless possibilities.

20170604_053937493_iOS.jpg

When I got the case one of the way to use it was to thread the sling into the belt holes of my jeans, I walked around Tokyo the entire day with this configuration. Never got in the way when I'm walking, sitting, taking the trains etc, very satisfied.

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #12,453 of 45,723
You will want something like this

Nope not the same. It's not like I don't have waist bags.
Imagine taking the Walkman out out of the waist bag and then dropping it on the ground - no issue with that with this pouch, you open the flap and have access to controls while the Walkman is securely held in place. Also because the Walkman is not loose when you walk it doesn't jiggle and bounce around.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #12,454 of 45,723
I have all my folders in shape arranged by composer then the albums, the only problem with me is that I have the included bundles such as booklets and the folder jpgs

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #12,455 of 45,723
Nope not the same. It's not like I don't have waist bags.
Imagine taking the Walkman out out of the waist bag and then dropping it on the ground - no issue with that with this pouch, you open the flap and have access to controls while the Walkman is securely held in place. Also because the Walkman is not loose when you walk it doesn't jiggle and bounce around.
I think he was kidding, hinting at the fact that both this pouch and the waist bag are top fashion accessories which are sure to attract the attention of any model lurking around.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #12,456 of 45,723
I have all my folders in shape arranged by composer then the albums, the only problem with me is that I have the included bundles such as booklets and the folder jpgs

Me too. I just have a bat file that I run on the player that deletes them all after a transfer

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #12,457 of 45,723
Having just heard AK's new flagship, the SP1000, i must say that I have mixed feelings towards it.

But, that said, I do however think that AK has really, outdone themselves with this, and out of the box it has impressed me way more than the 1Z/A did out of box back then....

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #12,458 of 45,723
Having just heard AK's new flagship, the SP1000, i must say that I have mixed feelings towards it.

But, that said, I do however think that AK has really, outdone themselves with this, and out of the box it has impressed me way more than the 1Z/A did out of box back then....
So why mixed feelings?

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #12,459 of 45,723

Nothing news, especially when AK doesn't do with Electrolytic caps and class D amplification. Most of the other players always impress me more than Zx2, Wm1Z out of the box, but things change after burn-in

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #12,460 of 45,723
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #12,462 of 45,723
Jun 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #12,463 of 45,723
Nothing news, especially when AK doesn't do with Electrolytic caps and class D amplification. Most of the other players always impress me more than Zx2, Wm1Z out of the box, but things change after burn-in

Agreed, that with the caps the sony stuff need some burn in time.

However, the SP1000, in my opinion, is a tier above the 1Z even above after its been burnt in, in terms of its technicality and effortlessness. The SS version simply blew me away. That said, a friend of mine who has had his 1Z tinkered with, feels that his 1Z is just shy of the Sp1000's mid transparency, but, his 1Z has a much better spatial resolution and staging. I did not personally manage to hear his unit for a comparison, but given what I heard today, I can see why he might felt that way.

But, at that price point, it had better be good anyway lol. I hope to demo the my friend's tweaked So ya, I felt that the 1Z's main selling point was its raw power output, which made me switch to maining the 1Z ever since I bought a dita Dream, but, with the SP1000 as good as it currently is, I might have to reconsider my choice, again.....

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #12,465 of 45,723
I bought an Anker 2-Port 24W USB Wall Charger PowerPort 2 with PowerIQ from Amazon to use when I travel, or just to recharge the Sony when my computer or a USB charger wasn't available. This thing is FAST. It took about half the time to recharge the Sony as compared to the special USB charging port on an OWC dock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back