SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #12,421 of 45,723

Yep, that's the one I use and it is quite respectable at just playing records as well, but naturally not a top grade player

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #12,422 of 45,723
Yep, that's the one I use and it is quite respectable at just playing records as well, but naturally not a top grade player

I'm going to see if i can demo it. I already have a turntable which I really like (it's a well tempered Amadeus) so would be getting this just to rip my LP's. Thankfully the sony seems to be reasonably priced

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #12,424 of 45,723
Listening to WM1A and comparing to much larger DAP and DAC/AMP costing more than wm1a we are a fortunate generation to be able to experience such sound in such a size. Sure future can only get better (that is I hope it can) but could anyone imagine back in 2001 we would be able to get such a sound from such a device?
agree

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #12,425 of 45,723
Hi all,

As a new and proud owner of 1Z I have tried to go through all the pages on this thread, right from page 1 and am sure I have covered at least 85% (may have skipped some) over let few days. So please gentle when I ask questions, I have tried to find answers first through the earlier pages and am asking the ones I couldnt find answer to, or saw clear conclusion. Thanks for your help in advance
- do you use the player in standard or high gain? So far I have used my player with denon D5000, Z1R (via balanced), LCD XC, TH900 etc and I found myself pushing the volume close to 100 quite often even with easy to drive headphones. Initially I thought I may have capped version but seems not the case. I may be listening loud in general but if I were to switch to high gain mode (when necessary, for more power hungry headphones), is there any degradation in sound quality? if none then why Sony wouldn't default to high gain at all times? Is 'no loss in sound quality with high gain' specific to player implementation?
- what is the battery life with standard flac files? I am sure I need to test more but I think initially I burned out the battery with 24 bit flac in less than 12 hours. I have battery protection turned on from the very first charge cycle. Is there any batter burn in cycle?
I need to build a 4.4mm to 4pin XLR adaptor. I can get this done in HK via a technician whose has done this for me earlier and in satisfactory manner. Is there any standard recommeation? The HK vendor will use double helix cable, Eidetic 4.4mm plug and Neutrik female XLR for 650 HKD. Price is not an issue but more to get the right materials and construction

Apart from above
@Whitigir and all - I am looking to upgrade and need XLR terminated balanced cables for my LCDs and Pioneer SEM1. Any recommendations? I won't do it myself so vendor and material recommendations please. These will be used with 1Z, TA ZH1ES and audioGD NFB27

Given the warm nature of !z, I was quite surprised that it wasn't able to tame the treble harshness of my TH900. I am overly sensitive to treble. Can replacing cables help?

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #12,426 of 45,723
I found two albums I had copied over which didn't show any artwork after copying them to the Sony, despite looking fine on my computer, and figured out that it was because there were two image files embedded in each of the AIFF tracks. I was able to fix this by removing both albums, deleting all artwork on the computer's files for those albums, adding a single image to the tracks, and then recopying them to the Sony. I'm not sure if that's a common issue, but thought I'd post the information in case someone else has a similar problem.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #12,427 of 45,723
I found two albums I had copied over which didn't show any artwork after copying them to the Sony, despite looking fine on my computer, and figured out that it was because there were two image files embedded in each of the AIFF tracks. I was able to fix this by removing both albums, deleting all artwork on the computer's files for those albums, adding a single image to the tracks, and then recopying them to the Sony. I'm not sure if that's a common issue, but thought I'd post the information in case someone else has a similar problem.
yes Sony players only support front cover, there are. Many options in the embedding of images on files

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #12,428 of 45,723
Today, I learnt what true fear is, when I saw my dog holding a golden sony player in his mouth.

Luckily, it was protected by a silicon case and kept in a velvet pouch, and he is a small house dog....but i have no idea how many times he must have dropped it on the floor as he made his way out of the room with his stolen toy....

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #12,429 of 45,723
Today, I learnt what true fear is, when I saw my dog holding a golden sony player in his mouth.

Luckily, it was protected by a silicon case and kept in a velvet pouch, and he is a small house dog....but i have no idea how many times he must have dropped it on the floor as he made his way out of the room with his stolen toy....

Your dog have good taste :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #12,430 of 45,723

If he can lift the WM1Z, not such a small dog.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #12,431 of 45,723
If he can lift the WM1Z, not such a small dog.

It's a shih tzu...they are quite small..thankfully 20170410_211828.jpg
And it won't be the first time that he has wrecked audio stuff...he destroyed a westone W50.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #12,432 of 45,723
It's a shih tzu...they are quite small..thankfully
And it won't be the first time that he has wrecked audio stuff...he destroyed a westone W50.

I think I would personally be more concerned if any of its saliva seeped into an exposed crevice of your 1Z .

Hopefully not though...

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #12,434 of 45,723
I doubt so ....it had two layers of protection on it....
Altho, in response to this, I've now concluded that a velvet pouch no longer suffices a sufficient protection. I shall purchase a pelikan case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back