SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #7,456 of 45,723
I have the Questyle QP1r, WM1Z and tried them with my HE1000 while making early comparisons... speculation and debate aside, however you cut it, the QP1r can drive the HE1000 though it really is pushing the unit on high gain and there's little headroom there. As for the WM1Z, it doesn't come close to that power output level and can't drive the HE1000 properly.
Approximating the volume levels, the WM1Z on max volume, high gain is about equal to the QP1r max volume on its medium gain. Both units on high gain, I'd say the WM1Z is capable of about 80% the power of the QP1r... but nevertheless I'd suggest these questions are academic because realistically, while it's nice to have, I doubt the majority of people purchasing these units will be looking to primarily pair it with something that hard to drive or impractical. It would seem more useful for bragging rites than anything.

As for the the QP1r sound... this is subjective but my personal opinion is that it is most definitely NOT mid-fi territory. I did make brief comparisons on the WM1Z impressions page but it's not as simple as saying that one is superior to the other... the synergy and what is being paired with will be a far more defining than each unit on their own. For the most part the WM1Z/A units are far warmer in their presentations and the QP1r is more airy and for the most part faster sounding with a slightly tighter less impactful low frequency response. Detail retrieval is exceptionally good on the QP1r but both units have excellent soundstage (width and layering) capabilities. The QP1r is slightly more analytical, a little dryer and I much prefer it paired with denser, heavier sounding headphones and IEMs eg. Audeze LCD-X, JH Audio Layla, Angie and Earsonic Velvets all of which have quite emphasized bass regions even with their 'tuning' dials right down.
The WM1Z, on the other hand, has a heavier dense sound which pairs well with clearer faster IEMs. Because of the thickness of the presentation in the mids, I quite like the pairing with more V-shaped IEMs/headphones such as the Fostex TH900, Kennerton Odin, Rhapsodio Galaxy & Solar.
The QP1r does have a very poor jog wheel though. The other main reason I keep mine around is that it is a far better and more practical transport being exceptionally clean (cleaner than the WM1Z) used as a line-out and also having optical out. It is a far more pocket friendly DAP, the downside being that battery life is far lower than the WM1 offerings. For now the QP1r is permanently tethered to a Fostex HP-V1 for a transportable hybrid tube rig. They pair nicely and stack well. The WM1z makes for quite an over bassy pairing there.

There is no end game DAP out there, just different choices depending on preferences and limitations.

Thank you for this info    very helpful indeed!!

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #7,457 of 45,723
I have the Questyle QP1r, WM1Z and tried them with my HE1000 while making early comparisons... speculation and debate aside, however you cut it, the QP1r can drive the HE1000 though it really is pushing the unit on high gain and there's little headroom there. As for the WM1Z, it doesn't come close to that power output level and can't drive the HE1000 properly.
Approximating the volume levels, the WM1Z on max volume, high gain is about equal to the QP1r max volume on its medium gain. Both units on high gain, I'd say the WM1Z is capable of about 80% the power of the QP1r... but nevertheless I'd suggest these questions are academic because realistically, while it's nice to have, I doubt the majority of people purchasing these units will be looking to primarily pair it with something that hard to drive or impractical. It would seem more useful for bragging rites than anything.

As for the the QP1r sound... this is subjective but my personal opinion is that it is most definitely NOT mid-fi territory. I did make brief comparisons on the WM1Z impressions page but it's not as simple as saying that one is superior to the other... the synergy and what is being paired with will be a far more defining than each unit on their own. For the most part the WM1Z/A units are far warmer in their presentations and the QP1r is more airy and for the most part faster sounding with a slightly tighter less impactful low frequency response. Detail retrieval is exceptionally good on the QP1r but both units have excellent soundstage (width and layering) capabilities. The QP1r is slightly more analytical, a little dryer and I much prefer it paired with denser, heavier sounding headphones and IEMs eg. Audeze LCD-X, JH Audio Layla, Angie and Earsonic Velvets all of which have quite emphasized bass regions even with their 'tuning' dials right down.
The WM1Z, on the other hand, has a heavier dense sound which pairs well with clearer faster IEMs. Because of the thickness of the presentation in the mids, I quite like the pairing with more V-shaped IEMs/headphones such as the Fostex TH900, Kennerton Odin, Rhapsodio Galaxy & Solar.
The QP1r does have a very poor jog wheel though. The other main reason I keep mine around is that it is a far better and more practical transport being exceptionally clean (cleaner than the WM1Z) used as a line-out and also having optical out. It is a far more pocket friendly DAP, the downside being that battery life is far lower than the WM1 offerings. For now the QP1r is permanently tethered to a Fostex HP-V1 for a transportable hybrid tube rig. They pair nicely and stack well. The WM1z makes for quite an over bassy pairing there.

There is no end game DAP out there, just different choices depending on preferences and limitations.

Thats probably the most grown up post I've read here, thank you:thumbsup:

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,459 of 45,723
Have to say the gold 1Z looks beautiful, my more economical 1A arrives tomorrow - can't wait!

Unlike most here I've not really got much into file-based music in the past so I'll have to start virtually from scratch, ripping CDs and working out how to put the MP3 and FLAC files I have from Bandcamp downloads onto the new Sony player.

It's a huge task to rip a whole CD collection but the Sony looked like such a cool device that it's given me the impetus to move forward from just using physical media. I hope it's not too complicated to start putting some music on it.

Will be using my B&O H6 until a 6.3-3.5 adaptor arrives for my LCD3. If I like the LCD3 sound, can anyone recommend some earbuds for use with the NW-WM1A?

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #7,460 of 45,723
Have to say the gold 1Z looks beautiful, my more economical 1A arrives tomorrow - can't wait!

Unlike most here I've not really got much into file-based music in the past so I'll have to start virtually from scratch, ripping CDs and working out how to put the MP3 and FLAC files I have from Bandcamp downloads onto the new Sony player.

It's a huge task to rip a whole CD collection but the Sony looked like such a cool device that it's given me the impetus to move forward from just using physical media. I hope it's not too complicated to start putting some music on it.

Will be using my B&O H6 until a 6.3-3.5 adaptor arrives for my LCD3. If I like the LCD3 sound, can anyone recommend some earbuds for use with the NW-WM1A?

You can also outsource the ripping process! I did it with over 300 CD's a while back and used this service - http://www.musicshifter.com/

Cheers 

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #7,463 of 45,723
The one plus of doing the ripping / conversion yourself is you get to reacquaint yourself with the music, and maybe find out if your tastes have changed since first acquiring those CDs etc. No one said it has to be a race, take your time and enjoy the process eh?

Edit: I happen to be doing something similar right now, and other than those tracks I know I love, I tend to dump an entire album into the 1Z and take my time going through tracks I'm less familiar with, quite fun 
smily_headphones1.gif
 The folder views for the 1A/1Z really make this convenient too

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #7,464 of 45,723
I did my (re)ripping in 2012 after decided that mp3 sucks and decided to switch to FLAC
gs1000.gif
​ Ps i just copied Tags fro m mp3s to FLACs using mp3Tag/

I just checked how much for nearly 3000 CDs (i dont have that amouht of phydical CDs, mostly is downloads now what i have like 3000 FLAC ambums) and was a whopping 1500 USD ouch! a bit more than the the cost of a WM1A.

Other advantage of soing it yourself i you use dbPowerAMP CD ripper with accuRip you can set the CD drive speed to a morea ccurate rip

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #7,465 of 45,723
I puled the trigger in the end and had it since Friday night but not had chance to hear it much or had time to read this mammoth thread to find out everything.  

So far with quickly downloading approx 300 of my ripped songs from my 300 ripped tracks in flac on my laptop which transfers the fastest I've ever seen tracks download to any walkman so far which is nice. 

So first quick thoughts bearing in mind I have a ZX1 and  never jumped to the ZX2 for some reason and first thing notice is Wow, the bass kicks like I've never heard a Walkman running flat before!

I had to check it didn't come with EQ turned on.  Lacking a sense of the mids not been forward enough and sounding recessed which was a little shocking but run it in for last two days playing when not using and now in bed with my JH16Pros with Bax cable and it does sound like the mids have appeared a bit more than Friday night and imaging is immense on this machine! 

So I take it without having time to read this mega thread at the moment not until next week sometime there is a certain amount of burn in for the WM1A? 

If it continues like this I think I will like it as my worry was or is the mids staying recessed which is something I am not used to with my Sony's throughout time.  

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #7,466 of 45,723

So I take it without having time to read this mega thread at the moment not until next week sometime there is a certain amount of burn in for the WM1A? 

Good job on the 1A, hope you will enjoy it as you get to know it better. As for the burn in, the recommended amount from Sony is 100 hours for the 1A, I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but some believe you should go a bit beyond that to let it fully settle. It's a start, in any case.

Edit: It should also be pointed out that there are 2 difference circuits for balanced and SE, so theoretically both will need to settle / burn in. If possible just start with the 4.4mm balanced output, even with the 1A it should be a clear step up in SQ, plus the additional driving power it provides.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #7,467 of 45,723
The battery on the 1Z is pretty flipping amazing. I've had it playing all day and after 20 hours or so it's only down to half charge. Impressive!

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #7,468 of 45,723
Time to start burning in this Single Ended with TRRS cables and Z1R. Nothing special, only Pure Solid silver cores cables into Z1R

Not picking your post specifically but the general posts about burning in SE vs balanced.

May I ask, when 1Z owners are burning in 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm SE separately, exactly what are they burning in? It it just the cables or are they referring to the circuity within the 1Z? If it's the cables, I understand in which case it's just a general cable burn-in topic.

However if it's the circuitry within the 1Z, exactly what portion of the circuitry are they thinking they're burning in? I would expect the S-Master HX digital amp portion for the balanced and SE the same - just wires that split to the the different 4.4mm balanced socket and 3.5mm SE socket. Therefore if one has already spent that 200+ hrs burning in that in balanced portion, the only part that is not burnt in would be short wiring to the SE socket. Would that little short segment benefit greatly from burning in?

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #7,469 of 45,723
Not picking your post specifically but the general posts about burning in SE vs balanced.

May I ask, when 1Z owners are burning in 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm SE separately, exactly what are they burning in? It it just the cables or are they referring to the circuity within the 1Z? If it's the cables, I understand in which case it's just a general cable burn-in topic.

However if it's the circuitry within the 1Z, exactly what portion of the circuitry are they thinking they're burning in? I would expect the S-Master HX digital amp portion for the balanced and SE the same - just wires that split to the the different 4.4mm balanced socket and 3.5mm SE socket. Therefore if one has already spent that 200+ hrs burning in that in balanced portion, the only part that is not burnt in would be short wiring to the SE socket. Would that little short segment benefit greatly from burning in?

I do not know specific of how the balanced circuitry is being configured away from SE. I only know that the engineers from Sony confirmed that both WM1A and Z has the same balanced out and the count of FT Capacitors VS the SE where the 1A is using some OS Capacitors in place of FT Capacitors. So there are some Capacitors to be burning in as well, and may not be as long as balanced out ?

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #7,470 of 45,723

Interesting point.

I may be wrong, not the resident techie by any stretch of imagination, but I think from pix and diagrams it seems that Sony had, unlike AK or Venturecraft, had completely independent circuitory for SE and balanced beyond the DAC part.

My layman's understanding -
AK (except AK70): dual DAC, each DAC leading into independent amp sections - SE using one of those two routes while Balanced using both
Valoq: single DAC, DAC leading into 2 independent amp sections - one for L and one for R. SE just merge the channels after signal leaving amp sections while Balanced using both amped output as it is
Sony: single DAC (I believe), leading into 2 independent amp modules - one stereo for SE, the other with 2 amp sections for L and R respectively for Balanced

Again I may be wrong (or very wrong) so I stand being corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back