SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #7,471 of 45,723

Not picking your post specifically but the general posts about burning in SE vs balanced.

May I ask, when 1Z owners are burning in 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm SE separately, exactly what are they burning in? It it just the cables or are they referring to the circuity within the 1Z? If it's the cables, I understand in which case it's just a general cable burn-in topic.

However if it's the circuitry within the 1Z, exactly what portion of the circuitry are they thinking they're burning in? I would expect the S-Master HX digital amp portion for the balanced and SE the same - just wires that split to the the different 4.4mm balanced socket and 3.5mm SE socket. Therefore if one has already spent that 200+ hrs burning in that in balanced portion, the only part that is not burnt in would be short wiring to the SE socket. Would that little short segment benefit greatly from burning in?

No it is not just different wiring between balanced and single ended. The separate burn in is specifically for the separate FT Capacitors and Inductor's used for single ended and balanced output formation, in both 1Z and 1A. The S-master chip is less affected by burn in than the capacitors (although it would still benefit from some burn in).

In below picture:

RED is the Single ended circuitry
GREEN is the Balanced circuitry
PINK is the S-Master circuitry (shared by single ended and balanced)
YELLOW is the Power supply circuitry (shared by single ended and balanced)
And the rest of pcb is populated by digital circuitry, cpu, storage, wifi etc.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #7,472 of 45,723
  May I ask, when 1Z owners are burning in 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm SE separately, exactly what are they burning in? It it just the cables or are they referring to the circuity within the 1Z? If it's the cables, I understand in which case it's just a general cable burn-in topic.

The circuit

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #7,475 of 45,723
I have a question that bothers me.

By using a smaller 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter.

2.5mm has a smaller contact surface than 4.4mm plug.

Will the Walkman be sending less power to the 2.5mm balanced?
Will the power sent by the Walkman bottleneck cause of the smaller contact surface of balanced plug?

Will using a direct 4.4mm cable better?

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #7,476 of 45,723

Will the power sent by the Walkman bottleneck cause of the smaller contact surface of balanced plug?

Using a direct 4.4 mm cable better due to two (2) contact points as well as being a larger contact points.  I don't understand why AK decided to go with the 2.5 mm balanced jack either when they could have easily used a little more robust 3.5 mm TRRS jack.  I'm sure it is about avoiding confusion and such. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #7,477 of 45,723

Yes, agreed; it is likely A&K went with the 2.5mm design to avoid confusion but I'm sure to also differentiate themselves in the market. I think they've done well to make it so well adopted as a standard but like the Pentaconn standard, now means that new cables are required and personally I think there are enough standards now.

With respect to the 2.5mm vs 4.4mm surface area, the surface area of the plug is larger, yes, but the female socket these plugs go into only makes contact via a small completely flat corrogated point so the actual area being conducted through is unlikely to be very different between socket sizes. Besides, with a 2-pin or MMCX IEM cable the surface area at the plug end is magnitudes larger than at the pins. If you've messed around with multimeters to work out the resistance and calculate impedances of loads, you tend to find the resistances are minimal for the socket contacts unless something is seriously wrong.

With cabling, we'll ignore topology and assume that the conductors have a decent structure (ie. less molecular dislocations in the crystal lattice structure). The detrimental factor is the quality of the soldering inside the cable itself. For one thing having exotic conductors for the wires & termination is all fine but it is very much undermined if the conducting material being used to solder these metals is of a poor quality or worse still, has issues like a cold-solder joint.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #7,480 of 45,723
hello ,yes i leave mine playing even when i am not listening to it, the volume or musical preference does not matter...
I only use Celine Dions music to burn my players.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #7,484 of 45,723
Dear Friends,

Just received my WM1A. how do i burn in? Do i just leave it playing?
What is the correct process please?

Many thanks
I play music while burning it in, normal, I never leave it 24/7

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #7,485 of 45,723

Those who as ordered the MUC-M12SB1 from Jaben, have you received your ordered yet, or has it been posted, I ordered on the 9th, but hasn't seen the details change yet.

Heard nothing yet. I already sent a follow-up email to Jaben last Friday.

I got a email from them, and a fedx tracking number, they will send it out tmr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back