SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #7,441 of 45,723
Theoretically, power, voltage, and current are relatively connected in the equation. However, technically speaking, the current is not dependent on "load" as much as voltage. For applications where the loads are varied greatly, say electric car motor, or especially headphones or speaker amplification, current is more desirable. Operational amp Chips can swing voltage fast and efficient, but current is slower to respond even if you can supply it by designing your work around it. Direct Solid States are more desirable or discrete amplification.

Quest Style advertising Current amplification as a mean to indicate that it is "less" depending on "loads". But I can tell you that from what I know, Sony Walkman is even more efficient and ways Less depending on "loads". This is the reason why I am saying WM series, the 260 mW per channel is better than you would think it is....the keyword here is "Load"

So, in a senses, Quest Style is still ways lower in power than WM, period. Now that is taking "efficiency" of both QS and Sony as being the same, which QS is not.

Also, why I think TA is an excellent piece of technology for it values....generally, the more efficient, the more sensitive, the more noises an amplification and it processor can be observed in such system where "power" is needed. The TA has excellent power output on High gain and Balanced out, still achieving excellent performances, and no Noises. This marks yet another milestone from Sony statement. Sony is back, and will be stronger. Trust me when I say this, S-master and great design of class D amplification will almost "eliminate" the Load dependency on different Headphones that is picky on whether "voltage or Current" amplification design.

In another word, TA-ZH1ES should be able to take care and drive many headphones to it utmost quality, theoretically speaking....just I don't have all different kinds to confirm to you
biggrin.gif

Remember from high school physics:
V (voltage) = I (current) * R (resistance)
I = V / R

Same difference, just re-arranged, all variables are proportionally related. 

Also 

P (power) = V * I

Quest Style advertising current amplification is just that - advertising, when it's measured at the very tail end of the chain it doesn't matter how they got there, the numeric results speaks for themselves, less output power is less output power period, and by extension it is due to either less voltage, less current, or both.  Considering that both DAPs were measured at putting out 2 Vrms, the QP1 is actually objectively putting out less current than the 1A/1Z, so the whole thing about current amplification being more efficient or needed to be consider is, to put it bluntly, BS.

Again as I said before in a previous post, people need to understand and learn to separate the objective fact with their subjective preference.  There is nothing wrong and shameful in subjectively preferring a product that measures objectively worse, because sound preferences by its very definition is completely subjective.  However twisting objective facts around with voodoo wording to make the product you like appear "objectively better" is not helpful and damaging to the hobby. 

I mean what's so difficult in saying "the 1A may output more power but I prefer the sound of the QP1"?  It's equivalent to saying "A Nissan GTR maybe faster than a BMW M3 but I just prefer the BMW". Nobody can objectively challenge that kind of opinion, but now in making up BS facts about QP1 being more powerful and calling others Sony fanboy, that person only makes themselves appear like a fool, troll and hater. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #7,443 of 45,723
Remember from high school physics:
V (voltage) = I (current) * R (resistance)
I = V / R

Same difference, just re-arranged, all variables are proportionally related. 

Also 

P (power) = V * I

Quest Style advertising current amplification is just that - advertising, when it's measured at the very tail end of the chain it doesn't matter how they got there, the numeric results speaks for themselves, less output power is less output power period, and by extension it is due to either less voltage, less current, or both.  Considering that both DAPs were measured at putting out 2 Vrms, the QP1 is actually objectively putting out less current than the 1A/1Z, so the whole thing about current amplification being more efficient or needed to be consider is, to put it bluntly, BS.

Again as I said before in a previous post, people need to understand and learn to separate the objective fact with their subjective preference.  There is nothing wrong and shameful in subjectively preferring a product that measures objectively worse, because sound preferences by its very definition is completely subjective.  However twisting objective facts around with voodoo wording to make the product you like appear "objectively better" is not helpful and damaging to the hobby. 

I mean what's so difficult in saying "the 1A may output more power but I prefer the sound of the QP1"?  It's equivalent to saying "A Nissan GTR maybe faster than a BMW M3 but I just prefer the BMW". Nobody can objectively challenge that kind of opinion, but now in making up BS facts about QP1 being more powerful and calling others Sony fanboy, that person only makes themselves appear like a fool, troll and hater. 

The current and voltage is different and can be compared to Water. Voltage is Volumetric, and Current is Pressure...or just Current. A high current can kill you while at relatively low voltage, and but high voltage with relatively low current won't ....let's not talk about those thousand volts here. However, without enough volumetric, Current wouldn't result in anything either. So they are both very co-dependent, though in the end it could be said that Current react faster to changes than voltage does. Say pouring water from bottles to bottles (current) or just simply let it drains bottles to bottles with less pouring forces (voltage). It is whether speed of the changes in paces or the volumetric to get the end result

So in a senses, current is always more important when Load variables is the main role of the device, and in this case, audio equipments. Still, power is power, just different ways of marketing (agreed). There is no way that a 60mW can equal to 260mw, period.

I agree with the rest of the post :)

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #7,444 of 45,723
Current amp mode ? Lol...i dont think sony is going to tell you what their amplification technology is beside Class D. But i can tell you this much that using juicy Capacitors, if they dont have powerful current, i dont know whatelse does...dont even tell me it uses Op Amp...because it never does. Your current amplification technology could be brought to other DAP that uses opamps but not a strong argument against Sony Walkman and it configurations period. Beside Power is Power, and class D is well known for it efficiency. Also, who else is better at Direct Digital into class D like Sony ? None

Remember, Walkman WM also uses multiple Coils in their circuitry beside Capacitors....and if coils is not one of those powerful amplification components...what else is ?

I have someone who owns both 1z and qp1r and qp1r comes out more powerful even with 1z on balance. Sorry but your speculation despite not even owning qp1r doesnt make any senses. And im looking at someone who only owns Sony products here even with headphones, you might qualify for true Sony fanboy here.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #7,447 of 45,723
Speaking of EQ ? WM1Z is ways better than Opus #2 already. The only player so far that is worthy of EQ IMHO

hi whitigir if i remember you have a ZX2 can you briefly tell me the difference in sound between the ZX2 and 1A ...i dont like bright sounding DAPS any hint of that with the 1A ..Thanks in advance

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #7,448 of 45,723
I'm not really sure if anybody has driven an he1000 from a sony wm1a or wm1z.....I have my doubts it can power it well, but will try when the wm1a gets here. I know the qp1r can......though I don't enjoy the sound. Same with the Mojo. I know my ALO CDM can and it has 
145mW into 50 ohms.....so dismissing a qp1r without having heard it is........not appropriate...makes one a fan boy really. Also you talk of class D efficiency but I really don't think class D 250mw, compared to class A 250mW will be so different. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7,449 of 45,723
hi whitigir if i remember you have a ZX2 can you briefly tell me the difference in sound between the ZX2 and 1A ...i dont like bright sounding DAPS any hint of that with the 1A ..Thanks in advance

I only have 1Z and Zx2, but I can tell you that 1Z is warmer and more smooth than Zx2 while having better details retrieval. Also, Zx2 is not a bright DAP either

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #7,450 of 45,723
I'm not really sure if anybody has driven an he1000 from a sony wm1a or wm1z.....I have my doubts it can power it well, but will try when the wm1a gets here. I know the qp1r can......though I don't enjoy the sound. Same with the Mojo. I know my ALO CDM can and it has [COLOR=444444]145mW into 50 ohms.....so dismissing a qp1r without having heard it is........not appropriate...makes one a fan boy really. Also you talk of class D efficiency but I really don't think class D 250mw, compared to class A 250mW will be so different. [/COLOR]

I have the Questyle QP1r, WM1Z and tried them with my HE1000 while making early comparisons... speculation and debate aside, however you cut it, the QP1r can drive the HE1000 though it really is pushing the unit on high gain and there's little headroom there. As for the WM1Z, it doesn't come close to that power output level and can't drive the HE1000 properly.
Approximating the volume levels, the WM1Z on max volume, high gain is about equal to the QP1r max volume on its medium gain. Both units on high gain, I'd say the WM1Z is capable of about 80% the power of the QP1r... but nevertheless I'd suggest these questions are academic because realistically, while it's nice to have, I doubt the majority of people purchasing these units will be looking to primarily pair it with something that hard to drive or impractical. It would seem more useful for bragging rites than anything.

As for the the QP1r sound... this is subjective but my personal opinion is that it is most definitely NOT mid-fi territory. I did make brief comparisons on the WM1Z impressions page but it's not as simple as saying that one is superior to the other... the synergy and what is being paired with will be a far more defining than each unit on their own. For the most part the WM1Z/A units are far warmer in their presentations and the QP1r is more airy and for the most part faster sounding with a slightly tighter less impactful low frequency response. Detail retrieval is exceptionally good on the QP1r but both units have excellent soundstage (width and layering) capabilities. The QP1r is slightly more analytical, a little dryer and I much prefer it paired with denser, heavier sounding headphones and IEMs eg. Audeze LCD-X, JH Audio Layla, Angie and Earsonic Velvets all of which have quite emphasized bass regions even with their 'tuning' dials right down.
The WM1Z, on the other hand, has a heavier dense sound which pairs well with clearer faster IEMs. Because of the thickness of the presentation in the mids, I quite like the pairing with more V-shaped IEMs/headphones such as the Fostex TH900, Kennerton Odin, Rhapsodio Galaxy & Solar.
The QP1r does have a very poor jog wheel though. The other main reason I keep mine around is that it is a far better and more practical transport being exceptionally clean (cleaner than the WM1Z) used as a line-out and also having optical out. It is a far more pocket friendly DAP, the downside being that battery life is far lower than the WM1 offerings. For now the QP1r is permanently tethered to a Fostex HP-V1 for a transportable hybrid tube rig. They pair nicely and stack well. The WM1z makes for quite an over bassy pairing there.

There is no end game DAP out there, just different choices depending on preferences and limitations.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7,452 of 45,723
Single ended WM1Z ?

Sorry, yes, this is from the single ended output of WM1z.... so balanced will be a different story, I'm sure.
Currently waiting for my Pentaconn connectors to come through, I have my wires... but it's an awful lot of braiding.

I should probably add that my unit is an EU version which has since been uncapped and even when it was capped I was able to drive everything, out of single-ended, which I'd consider practical... in fact the only 'practical' headphone I was surprised to find it had trouble with was the Audeze Sine (which it turns out is harder to drive than an LCD-X) but clearly that's fine now.
Uncapped, it's able to drive a fair few of my planars except for ones I'd never consider using it with because they belong on desktops (HE1000 included in that list)... this is why I'd suggest the power debate is a little academic because frankly the WM1 series has plenty of headroom with pretty much anything someone wants to pair it with.
It's like having a 200mph car and living in an area with a speed limit of 70.

That said, my only power worry is that the WM1Z might not have the power to drive the Unique Melody me.1 or Audeze LCD i3 when they become available but... I'll find out as and when.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #7,453 of 45,723
has the Unique Melody me.1 been released, and does it require more than what sony daps can offer in power

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #7,454 of 45,723
has the Unique Melody me.1 been released, and does it require more than what sony daps can offer in power

The ME.1 made its debut at the Akihabara Audio Festival, Tokyo last month. A friend who was visiting there said his AK380cu+amp module were really being taxed driving it... hence why I'm not sure about whether the WM1Z will have enough power. That said his listening habits are very different to mine and I'm a pretty quiet listener compared to his ear bleeding levels. Personally I think he's deaf.

The WM1Z is amongst the most analogue sounding of my DAPs (bar one, the M1Pro which was designed to emulate vintage gear) and it pairs nicely with most planar headphones I've tried. I would very much like to have at least one planar IEM in the collection as the only ones I've heard so far have been disappointing (OBravo) or near completely open (Audeze iSine). The ME.1 appears to be more semi-open (perforated plate)... I don't know the full design but in principle it can still have dual magnetic stators either side of the diaphragm but with a little more isolation than the Audeze IEMs, which would be nice for outdoor use.

It will be making it's Western debut at Canjam NY in less than a month so I guess we'll find out more details about power and implementation then... it could be power requirements might change prior to official release. As for pricing, Unique Melody have stated it will be less than $1k on release.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #7,455 of 45,723
I only have 1Z and Zx2, but I can tell you that 1Z is warmer and more smooth than Zx2 while having better details retrieval. Also, Zx2 is not a bright DAP either

yes thats why i like the ZX2 i like warm daps...thanks for the reply 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back