SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #7,411 of 45,723
I heard horror stories from Chinese forums about Dx200 user interface and firmware bugs.
I rather go for either a Sony WM1A or Opus #2 to be honest.

It just was released recently just a few weeks ago unlike Sony daps, don't you consider it will be fixed by firmware update?  

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7,412 of 45,723
Sorry to stir things here up a bit for Sony fanboys. Unfortunately, Wm1a doesn't sound better than qp1r or having more powerful output driving cans even using balance output. For the asking price is not a good deal here. Someone might want to look at what DX200 gives instead.

Not sure who are Sony fanboys here.
I bet people here are just normal audiophiles that likes the sound of WM1A/Z.

There are people who have a few DAPs here. There are people who switch from other DAPs to WM1A/Z here. There are new owners.

To be honest, SONY have been sleeping on audio till recent years. I don't think that's enough to created any fanboys.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #7,413 of 45,723
  Sorry to stir things here up a bit for Sony fanboys. Unfortunately, Wm1a doesn't sound better than qp1r or having more powerful output driving cans even using balance output. For the asking price is not a good deal here. Someone might want to look at what DX200 gives instead.

The WM1A is objectively more powerful according to the specs which is also verified, QP1R only claims 40mW @ 32ohms on high gain, the 1A trounces it there by loads.

Whether you think it sounds good is entirely subjective and not an objective fact.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #7,414 of 45,723

There are people who have a few DAPs here. There are people who switch from other DAPs to WM1A/Z here

To be honest, SONY have been sleeping on audio till recent years. I don't think that's enough to created any fanboys.

You must've not been to previous ZX2 thread..Do you say Sony ddin't make any audiophile daps before this? 

The WM1A is objectively more powerful according to the specs which is also verified, QP1R only claims 40mW @ 32ohms on high gain, the 1A trounces it there by loads.

Whether you think it sounds good is entirely subjective and not an objective fact.

QP1R uses Current-mode amping which is not common in any dap products. You might see the number on paper is even lower than that of AK70 but it drives everything efficiently. Give it a try instead of reading specifications will do it a justice.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #7,415 of 45,723

There are people who have a few DAPs here. There are people who switch from other DAPs to WM1A/Z here

You must've not been to previous ZX2 thread..Do you say Sony ddin't make any audiophile daps before this? 

The WM1A is objectively more powerful according to the specs which is also verified, QP1R only claims 40mW @ 32ohms on high gain, the 1A trounces it there by loads.

QP1R uses Current-mode amping which is not common in any dap products. You might see the number on paper is even lower than that of AK70 but it drives everything efficiently. Give it a try instead of reading specifications will do it a justice.

blazinblazin is correct on this, it has only been recent years, audiophile dap only started with the ZX 1, ZX 2 and now the WM 1, forget the low end hi res player and xperia phones that supports Hi res.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #7,416 of 45,723
I'm definitely not a Sony fan-boy, in fact I haven't liked a Sony audio product in many, many years. However, I do very much enjoy the 1Z. And I have heard the QP1R, the AK380, the LPG and many others, and currently the 1Z is my favorite (and it only has about 30 hours on it, so still settling in). Will have a 1A tomorrow to start playing with and will see how the 1A stacks up against it's bigger (or at least much more expensive) brother. Is it worth it for you? Will you like the SQ? Up to you, but I would say it is definitely worth giving these new Sony DAP's a listen. Cheers 

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,418 of 45,723
  OS of wm1a/z touch very slow

Not really slow, you are just used to a fast android/ios OS.
biggrin.gif
 I think it's ok, most important is the SQ, and not the OS speed, thats mine opinion.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,419 of 45,723
Yeah, there's a bit of a lag in the OS when you select something, but it's maybe half a second. It doesn't bother me and kind of reminds me of cabinets and such with slow-closing hinges. It may not happen as fast, but it's smooth and flows well. And if that's the worst ding on a new products OS then I'm good. Everything else in my experience is flawless. Cheers 

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #7,420 of 45,723
  I'm definitely not a Sony fan-boy, in fact I haven't liked a Sony audio product in many, many years. However, I do very much enjoy the 1Z. And I have heard the QP1R, the AK380, the LPG and many others, and currently the 1Z is my favorite (and it only has about 30 hours on it, so still settling in). Will have a 1A tomorrow to start playing with and will see how the 1A stacks up against it's bigger (or at least much more expensive) brother. Is it worth it for you? Will you like the SQ? Up to you, but I would say it is definitely worth giving these new Sony DAP's a listen. Cheers 

can u share how 1a compares to 1z

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #7,421 of 45,723
Current amp mode ? Lol...i dont think sony is going to tell you what their amplification technology is beside Class D. But i can tell you this much that using juicy Capacitors, if they dont have powerful current, i dont know whatelse does...dont even tell me it uses Op Amp...because it never does. Your current amplification technology could be brought to other DAP that uses opamps but not a strong argument against Sony Walkman and it configurations period. Beside Power is Power, and class D is well known for it efficiency. Also, who else is better at Direct Digital into class D like Sony ? None

Remember, Walkman WM also uses multiple Coils in their circuitry beside Capacitors....and if coils is not one of those powerful amplification components...what else is ?

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #7,422 of 45,723
someone should do a dx200/wm1a commparison

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #7,423 of 45,723

That's not how the numbers work, you are just twisting stuff to support your claim.

40mW into a 32ohm load is 40mW into a 32ohm load, 250mW into a 16ohm load is 250mW into a 16ohm load.  It's as simple as that.  Efficiency is only about how much power at the battery was need to get to that 40mW or 250mW eg does it need 80mW of power from the source and loses that to get 40mW of pure power into the load which would make it 50% efficient etc.  Nothing else is relevant to the discussion when the power is measured at the very output. Objectively the 1A is more powerful, period. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #7,424 of 45,723

As you know I have the LPG, WM1Z, DX200 and Mojo. The WM1Z and DX200 both sound excellent but present very different approaches to sound. The Sony is much smoother and more analog sounding while remaining all the details, and with incredible depth and layering. The DX200 is more airy and analytical sounding, whole still musical, but really different. Pairing will play a huge part, and taste as well.

I heard horror stories from Chinese forums about Dx200 user interface and firmware bugs.
I rather go for either a Sony WM1A or Opus #2 to be honest.

The Chinese forums are full of fake crap. The DX200 works almost perfectly, the bugs are very minor and ibasso has already out out two updates.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #7,425 of 45,723

Yes they do, During that period, most are probably having other brand players, those who have the money will probably go for AK players, LPG, QP1R.

Do you think your comparison is fair?
Do other people use same gears as you?
Have the WM1A unit you used to test been burnt in fully? Have both players burn in as much as each other?
Have you tried SE and Balanced of each player?
Have you max out each unit's potential before giving comparison and conclusion?

Do you have the same sound preference as the people here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back