SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #7,381 of 45,723
I can't work out what this cable is for. Anyone know?

Well it is an adapter for use with existing balance cables that has the 2.5 mm balance connector termination. The 2.5 mm balance connectors is a popular format for many daps like the AK players, DX1P and others. I have five daps and If I reterminate all my cables to 4.4 format, I will not be able to listen to my other daps hence the 4.4 to 2.5 adapter.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #7,383 of 45,723
Would undoubtedly be much cheaper and more practical to simply use a solid 4.4 - 2.5 adaptor plug, if one exists...

My experience with Kimber is that their cables - although well made - are not very flexible so that setup might be best used at home (or on a plane) where you won't need to move about too much..

Even if a solid 4.4 -2.5 adapter exists, it is highly discourage for use because it is so long and it can bust the 4.4 output very easily with any small accident. It is much more safe to use a pigtail.

Some Kimber cables are stiff but not the Axios line. Even with 16 cores, it is a very soft and pliable cable

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #7,384 of 45,723
  Here is to you Whitigir, here is my Kimber Axios AG 16 cores 4.4 to 2.5 adapter guarded by her majesty's 007, the Bond's personal carry the PPKS. Just so no one is coming to take the Axios away 
biggrin.gif

These are objects that will usually evoke strong emotional reaction. The 4.4 connector is genuine Pentaconn connector and the shell is replaced by the hand crafted precious Ebony wood giving the silver cable a stark contrast...Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony.....

Please also notice the end caps on both ends are hand made with 35 years old cured precious Ebony wood by Kimber master craftsman and both connectors are then set in place with precious resins. I don't have a macro lens to capture the beautiful sparkle on the silver cable but the dielectric is made of a new type of biocompound that does not change color.  The sound of this cable....hmm...what sound? there is no sound, just pure bliss from 4.4 out.  

Serial Number?  001.  This is Kimber's first Axios adapter custom made for yours truly. produce
The braiding, I was given a lesson on the special braiding.  Apparently, the braiding is carefully done by interlacing a negative and a positive conductor intertwine in an orthogonal angle to produce a certain organic sound

And also for you Jason Lord, eyes only.

Not to be out done by your super highend cable, I finally made a 3.5 mm TRRS female to 4.4 mm male adapter/cable of my own.  I made it using a 5-inch left over Headphone Lounge Silver Reference cable and a new $20 Effect Audio 4.4 mm male jack.  The female 3.5 mm TRRS was picked up off Ebay for around $15 but said to be of an "audiophile grade".  No doubt yours will sound better...however, I'm equally proud of my hard work and a great sounding adapter.  My Z1R is now reterminated with 3.5 male TRRS cable...so I can go from SE to Balanced easily.  BTW, I auditioned the copper version of the Axios before and it was a really good cable.  

Buying the 1Z left my wallet fairing deflated, so I cut my own screen protector film too.  Actually, I'm waiting for the glass version to be available on amazon...so this will be good for the interim.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #7,385 of 45,723
Jan 15, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #7,386 of 45,723
Not to be out done by your super highend cable, I finally made a 3.5 mm TRRS female to 4.4 mm male adapter/cable of my own.  I made it using a 5-inch left over Headphone Lounge Silver Reference cable and a new $20 Effect Audio 4.4 mm male jack.  The female 3.5 mm TRRS was picked up off Ebay for around $15 but said to be of an "audiophile grade".  No doubt yours will sound better...however, I'm equally proud of my hard work and a great sounding adapter.  My Z1R is now reterminated with 3.5 male TRRS cable...so I can go from SE to Balanced easily.  BTW, I auditioned the copper version of the Axios before and it was a really good cable.  

Buying the 1Z left my wallet fairing deflated, so I cut my own screen protector film too.  Actually, I'm waiting for the glass version to be available on amazon...so this will be good for the interim.

Purk, no one can out do you. Just look at your headphone inventory, the R10 bass heavy, last time I saw one in HK Jaben was going for 10K and that was like 8 years ago. Good taste for using silver reference. I didn't know you can go from SE to balance but I guess the TRRS is really not SE. I listened to the Z1R last week in Vegas CES show at the Kimber show room. The Z1R was wired by a full 16 cores Axios Silver cable and I was able to run it directly from my 1Z. Very good sound not bad at all. But I am considering picking up a pair of Utopia now and make a full cable for it. Well we will see after my audition.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #7,387 of 45,723
I answered that a few pages back but I don't feel I should publish that again. If you are serious please PM me.

No worries at all. I got my lazy butt up and found the post. Very nice piece of gear! Cheers

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #7,388 of 45,723
Purk, no one can out do you. Just look at your headphone inventory, the R10 bass heavy, last time I saw one in HK Jaben was going for 10K and that was like 8 years ago. Good taste for using silver reference. I didn't know you can go from SE to balance but I guess the TRRS is really not SE. I listened to the Z1R last week in Vegas CES show at the Kimber show room. The Z1R was wired by a full 16 cores Axios Silver cable and I was able to run it directly from my 1Z. Very good sound not bad at all. But I am considering picking up a pair of Utopia now and make a full cable for it. Well we will see after my audition.

3.5 TRRS is actually balanced because it has L+, L-, R+, R- just like any balanced connection out there including the 2.5 mm TRRS cable on your AK players.  However, the Sony circuit utilized for SE using TRRS plug is only pseudo balanced (separate left & right grounds)....so it is a SE with Sony SE output but can act in balanced on the Hifiman 901S player.  I'm actually waiting for the 4.4 mm female TRRS plug to be available.

I auditioned the Axios before and it sounds great on my HD800 but the workmanship is definitely the very best in the business.  

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #7,389 of 45,723
  Here is to you Whitigir, here is my Kimber Axios AG 16 cores 4.4 to 2.5 adapter guarded by her majesty's 007, the Bond's personal carry the PPKS. Just so no one is coming to take the Axios away 
biggrin.gif

These are objects that will usually evoke strong emotional reaction. The 4.4 connector is genuine Pentaconn connector and the shell is replaced by the hand crafted precious Ebony wood giving the silver cable a stark contrast...Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony.....

Please also notice the end caps on both ends are hand made with 35 years old cured precious Ebony wood by Kimber master craftsman and both connectors are then set in place with precious resins. I don't have a macro lens to capture the beautiful sparkle on the silver cable but the dielectric is made of a new type of biocompound that does not change color.  The sound of this cable....hmm...what sound? there is no sound, just pure bliss from 4.4 out.  

Serial Number?  001.  This is Kimber's first Axios adapter custom made for yours truly. produce
The braiding, I was given a lesson on the special braiding.  Apparently, the braiding is carefully done by interlacing a negative and a positive conductor intertwine in an orthogonal angle to produce a certain organic sound

And also for you Jason Lord, eyes only.

This is what I call a art of audiophile, if I were you, don't use it, serial number 001, you want to seal it and preserve it, probably cost a fortune in years to come.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #7,392 of 45,723
Sony WM1Z / 1A goes super well with JVC HA-FW02 woodies, really sounds awesome!
I do not have the Sony DAPs but these 2 Sony flagships are the bomb!

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #7,394 of 45,723
Are you using Balanced with your Jvc as well ?

Not balance out, it really sounds awesome.
I was there at Sony Center, the kind sales person Leon let me test the 2 Sony flagship DAPs and there are other customers as well. I let them test my JVC on the WM1Z demo, and all agreed it sounds really great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back