SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #7,426 of 45,723
Dx200 I never heard it myself so no comments about the sound quality compared to Sony WM1Z and WM1A.
Questyle Q1r is definitely not the same league as the new Sony flagship DAPs to be honest, it's mid level only comparable to Fiio X7 etc. Q1r User interface sucks (forget to mention that, the stupid wheels really makes me pissed) Sony flagship DAPs is easily on par with AK380 level, no joke this shows how committed this time Sony management and engineers are!
No, I'm not a Sony fan boy and I don't even own any Sony WM1Z or WM1A. Just my honest opinions here.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #7,427 of 45,723
Anyone have an idea whether the WM1A/Z player will work sending DSD via the front-mounted USB 2.0 socket in Sony's AV receiver range e.g. STR-DN860? It could be really simply just using the charging cable the player comes with.

I've found the av receiver's manual and it lists a few Sony DAPs (at time of writing - 2015) that will work and it also states the USB input accepts DSD. So it may well work.

Is it best to contact Sony directly with this sort of question?

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,428 of 45,723
Anyone have an idea whether the WM1A/Z player will work sending DSD via the front-mounted USB 2.0 socket in Sony's AV receiver range e.g. STR-DN860? It could be really simply just using the charging cable the player comes with.

I've found the av receiver's manual and it lists a few Sony DAPs (at time of writing - 2015) that will work and it also states the USB input accepts DSD. So it may well work.

Is it best to contact Sony directly with this sort of question?

If you purchased through a dealer, they would be where I asked. With a device at this price you are entitled to good customer service.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #7,429 of 45,723
Theoretically, power, voltage, and current are relatively connected in the equation. However, technically speaking, the current is not dependent on "load" as much as voltage. For applications where the loads are varied greatly, say electric car motor, or especially headphones or speaker amplification, current is more desirable. Operational amp Chips can swing voltage fast and efficient, but current is slower to respond even if you can supply it by designing your work around it. Direct Solid States are more desirable or discrete amplification.

Quest Style advertising Current amplification as a mean to indicate that it is "less" depending on "loads". But I can tell you that from what I know, Sony Walkman is even more efficient and ways Less depending on "loads". This is the reason why I am saying WM series, the 260 mW per channel is better than you would think it is....the keyword here is "Load"

So, in a senses, Quest Style is still ways lower in power than WM, period. Now that is taking "efficiency" of both QS and Sony as being the same, which QS is not.

Also, why I think TA is an excellent piece of technology for it values....generally, the more efficient, the more sensitive, the more noises an amplification and it processor can be observed in such system where "power" is needed. The TA has excellent power output on High gain and Balanced out, still achieving excellent performances, and no Noises. This marks yet another milestone from Sony statement. Sony is back, and will be stronger. Trust me when I say this, S-master and great design of class D amplification will almost "eliminate" the Load dependency on different Headphones that is picky on whether "voltage or Current" amplification design.

In another word, TA-ZH1ES should be able to take care and drive many headphones to it utmost quality, theoretically speaking....just I don't have all different kinds to confirm to you :D

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #7,430 of 45,723
As you know I have the LPG, WM1Z, DX200 and Mojo. The WM1Z and DX200 both sound excellent but present very different approaches to sound. The Sony is much smoother and more analog sounding while remaining all the details, and with incredible depth and layering. The DX200 is more airy and analytical sounding, whole still musical, but really different. Pairing will play a huge part, and taste as well.

is dx200 of 1z-level  in sound quality ? it seems to have a 1a sound signature , bu if it is as good as 1z it seems perfect....

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #7,431 of 45,723
I was talking to my dealer where I purchase my 1Z from. I was asking the voltage setting for the High gain or power output of the high gain. I know the balance out put is 250 mw at 32 ohm, does anyone know how much more power out put is for the balance high gian? I find the high gain on balance out drives my Vega so much better even on the same loudness level.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #7,432 of 45,723
is dx200 of 1z-level  in sound quality ? it seems to have a 1a sound signature , bu if it is as good as 1z it seems perfect....

I won't be Biased here, but theoretically speaking "components quality" plays a huge role in audio devices. An example I can give you is that my HA-1, while being a discrete device with great design inside, it holds no candles to TA-ZH1ES. Even cables, and wires materials, geometry, it will effect your sound quality....otherwise we wouldn't have any options to upgrade cables. You already witness and observed this.

So, to answer your question ? Cost of DX200 is relatively low, yet, dual ESS9028 Pro DAC probably is the most expensive component inside this player. I can tell you that, theoretically speaking, from material quality, the 1Z is superior, and so should the performances. However, whether it is observable, or audiable ?....need real life comparison :D

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #7,433 of 45,723
I won't be Biased here, but theoretically speaking "components quality" plays a huge role in audio devices. An example I can give you is that my HA-1, while being a discrete device with great design inside, it holds no candles to TA-ZH1ES. Even cables, and wires materials, geometry, it will effect your sound quality....otherwise we wouldn't have any options to upgrade cables. You already witness and observed this.

So, to answer your question ? Cost of DX200 is relatively low, yet, dual ESS9028 Pro DAC probably is the most expensive component inside this player. I can tell you that, theoretically speaking, from material quality, the 1Z is superior, and so should the performances. However, whether it is observable, or audiable ?....need real life comparison :D

Ess9028? Ibasso cut cost?! Why they don't use Ess9018km?

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #7,434 of 45,723
i would not expect the wm1z to be comparable to dx200 as wm1z seems to be superior no doubt, but i am curious about wm1a vs dx200

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #7,435 of 45,723

Quote:
  In WM1A where is the tone control ? i can only find 10 band equalizer.

Yeah under the EQ click the Toolbox icon (Settings) and then tap Tone control, and to actívate back the EQ do the same in the Tone control display and Tap Equalizer

You will live longer without one guarantee
biggrin.gif
or just smile if smile can kill.
wink.gif

LOL yes haha

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #7,436 of 45,723
Ess9028? Ibasso cut cost?! Why they don't use Ess9018km?

Easy, the DAC is the main components, and so it is the main marketing points. For example, people would think ESS9018K2M x2 inside the Opus 2 is inferior to DX200 dual ESs9028pro. It is true that on paper, the 9018K2m is inferior. But can you use the DAC alone to play music :D ? This is the grey spaces.

I can tell you that many people would deem Opus 2 being an inferior player from this alone :), and they don't have to say it out loud either.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #7,437 of 45,723
i would not expect the wm1z to be comparable to dx200 as wm1z seems to be superior no doubt, but i am curious about wm1a vs dx200

Wm1A is a tremendous price/performances piece of device. It only skim out on a few cheaper Capacitors and inner wires, a few resistors...which may be worth $500 to be exaggerating, and then that Copper gold plated chassis for another $500 or so ? Even at 1k, the WM1Z most expensive price point IMO should be $2,700 and not $3,200. So speaking of this exaggeration on components and pricing, the rest of the components on the board inside WM1A is already worth of $1,200....let alone you can buy for $800 from Amazon U.K. As reported :D. However, for being a luxury piece of art, the WM1Z can deserve that extra $500 :D, because in the end, without Sony doing it, we wouldn't have WM1Z

Keep in mind, DX200 can function as a stand alone DAC, how fluidly ? Idk, but that would be useful feature, and WM1A can not, but can be a very high end transport that natively do Digital out upto 5.8 MHz or 11.2 ?

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,438 of 45,723
Wm1A is a tremendous price/performances piece of device. It only skim out on a few cheaper Capacitors and inner wires, a few resistors...which may be worth $500 to be exaggerating, and then that Copper gold plated chassis for another $500 or so ? Even at 1k, the WM1Z most expensive price point IMO should be $2,700 and not $3,200. So speaking of this exaggeration on components and pricing, the rest of the components on the board inside WM1A is already worth of $1,200....let alone you can buy for $800 from Amazon U.K. As reported :D. However, for being a luxury piece of art, the WM1Z can deserve that extra $500 :D, because in the end, without Sony doing it, we wouldn't have WM1Z

Keep in mind, DX200 can function as a stand alone DAC, how fluidly ? Idk, but that would be useful feature, and WM1A can not, but can be a very high end transportable that natively do Digital out upto 5.8 MHz or 11.2 ?

Hate to be off track, but if I am Ibasso, I will wait for 6-8 more months and use the latest Sabre DAC 9038 and further refine their software. I fully think AK will use the latest AKM 4497 DAC for their next release. Otherwise, it will be hard to compete with Sony. They will be DOA when they release their next totl. With competition it is very fun time now for us consumer.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #7,439 of 45,723
Wm1A is a tremendous price/performances piece of device. It only skim out on a few cheaper Capacitors and inner wires, a few resistors...which may be worth $500 to be exaggerating, and then that Copper gold plated chassis for another $500 or so ? Even at 1k, the WM1Z most expensive price point IMO should be $2,700 and not $3,200. So speaking of this exaggeration on components and pricing, the rest of the components on the board inside WM1A is already worth of $1,200....let alone you can buy for $800 from Amazon U.K. As reported
biggrin.gif
. However, for being a luxury piece of art, the WM1Z can deserve that extra $500
biggrin.gif
, because in the end, without Sony doing it, we wouldn't have WM1Z

Keep in mind, DX200 can function as a stand alone DAC, how fluidly ? Idk, but that would be useful feature, and WM1A can not, but can be a very high end transport that natively do Digital out upto 5.8 MHz or 11.2 ?

thanks for all this

i am more after how do they compare in sound and other functionalities like EQ as Eq is upmost importance to me.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #7,440 of 45,723
i like that WM1 are non-Android, when i listened to an Android Phone.. then came notifications BUZZ BUZZ, bling! tiing! ARRGHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back