SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #36,992 of 45,723
Fair point.

I would be miffed if I bought one now and later this year a new model came out. Nothing wrong with my ZX300 either.

There have been 7 models since 2014, reckon we're due one soon.

That is only a problem if you have to have the newest and latest gadget. I’ve had my 1Z for 3 1/2 years and don’t expect to buy anything new for another 5-7 years and that only if I then can’t get the battery replaced or if the unit breaks and can’t be reasonably repaired

May 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #36,993 of 45,723
I remember I bought the fiio m11, only to have the newer model out in a few months lol.

That type of thinking mostly apply with those other players that have short life expectancy.

Waiting for the next best thing is like a pipe dream.

Better to have the current dream now, and not worry.
:)

I'm well happy with my two ZX300's, I'm in no rush to find a replacement. Just curious if anyone knew what the word on the street was regarding the possibility of a new model anytime soon :smiley:.

May 3, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #36,994 of 45,723
That is only a problem if you have to have the newest and latest gadget. I’ve had my 1Z for 3 1/2 years and don’t expect to buy anything new for another 5-7 years and that only if I then can’t get the battery replaced or if the unit breaks and can’t be reasonably repaired

That's why you forked out for one of the best, so you wouldn't feel the need to upgrade for a long long time.

May 3, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #36,995 of 45,723
That's why you forked out for one of the best, so you wouldn't feel the need to upgrade for a long long time.

exactly

May 3, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #36,996 of 45,723
Thinking of upgrading my Walkman. Currently, I have a NW-A55, which I reviewed here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-a50-series.888101/post-14463892

Nothing wrong with the A55, but I want more power for full-sized 'phones and (maybe?) better sound to use with an HD-660S using the stock 4.4mm balanced cable (which will become my new work 'phones).

I was very close to buying the new 500 series, but managing *another*, expensive, Android phone with poor battery life that cannot stream full versions from TIDAL, et al., doesn't appeal to me.

I have observed that the WM1z/1a now support a firmware update that provides Bluetooth receiver function - used with my A55 and a Google Pixel 4 w/ LDAC, this has been a great way to bridge streaming stuff. But... and this was a surprise to me... I cannot use my external PHA-3 with the A55 when in BT receiver mode. So, no full-sized cans in this mode.

Now, I am now looking at solving the full-sized cans problem with a WM1z/1a. I've been reading this thread (and looking at other stuff) and I can't really understand the differences between the 1z and the 1a, excluding:

- Increased internal storage
- Kimber Kable internal wiring and higher quality capacitors
- Gold plated enclosure
- Massively higher price

Is there a real/serious sound difference between the two models? I am really asking people that have lived with both models, like @Redcarmoose, among others.

If my wife caught me spending $3K US on a Walkman, I would have bigger problems than how to drive full-sized cans at work. But, still... if it sounds better... :L3000:

May 3, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #36,997 of 45,723
Is there a real/serious sound difference between the two models? I am really asking people that have lived with both models, like @Redcarmoose, among others
Differences of increased organic (less solid-state) nature are very noticable, but the practicality doesn't make sense unless you are looking for end game...
The 1a is still dam good & similar.
:)

If my wife caught me spending $3K US on a Walkman, I would have bigger problems than how to drive full-sized cans at work. But, still... if it sounds better... :L3000:
Not if you sell some your gear for it (desktop DAC) like I did.
:wink:

May 3, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #36,998 of 45,723
This discussion reminds me of my decision to upgrade from my last ak240 to wm1z (instead of the numerous versions of the ak380) cuz I felt that the AK market strategy lures their customers to keep spending to upgrade (every few months).
I was like "Okay I've enough of that! I will switch to Sony because they seem to take good care of their loyal customers and continue to gift them what they look for without pushing them to upgrade their gears continuously."
And that was one of the best decisions I made :wink:

May 3, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #36,999 of 45,723
I'm well happy with my two ZX300's, I'm in no rush to find a replacement. Just curious if anyone knew what the word on the street was regarding the possibility of a new model anytime soon :smiley:.
My ZX300 could keep me happy for many more years to come but I enjoy music and this hobby and I am addicted to taking the next step up so I am saving for the WM1A (although I think I will retire there).
I wouldn't chose to buy any electronic device or other brand DAP from 2016 but because it's Sony there is nothing that feels dated about it.
I'd be bummed out if they did after buying the 2016 model, but being Sony it's not like the older model would even drop in price. I think they usually announce new models by the first quarter for a third quarter release?

May 3, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #37,000 of 45,723
Thinking of upgrading my Walkman. Currently, I have a NW-A55, which I reviewed here:

Nothing wrong with the A55, but I want more power for full-sized 'phones and (maybe?) better sound to use with an HD-660S using the stock 4.4mm balanced cable (which will become my new work 'phones).

I was very close to buying the new 500 series, but managing *another*, expensive, Android phone with poor battery life that cannot stream full versions from TIDAL, et al., doesn't appeal to me.

I have observed that the WM1z/1a now support a firmware update that provides Bluetooth receiver function - used with my A55 and a Google Pixel 4 w/ LDAC, this has been a great way to bridge streaming stuff. But... and this was a surprise to me... I cannot use my external PHA-3 with the A55 when in BT receiver mode. So, no full-sized cans in this mode.

Now, I am now looking at solving the full-sized cans problem with a WM1z/1a. I've been reading this thread (and looking at other stuff) and I can't really understand the differences between the 1z and the 1a, excluding:

- Gold plated enclosure
- Massively higher price

Is there a real/serious sound difference between the two models? I am really asking people that have lived with both models, like @Redcarmoose, among others.

This walkman arent characterized as the end game nuclear power house for cans have that in mind there are plenty of powerfull DAPS and Desktop Amps that may serve you better if you go balanced its very decent power output specially with sony headphones but you will need to invest on that also... my creative E5 can seriosly deliver more power than my 1A Via SE but the sound its not even close in signature you are genting the analog feeling and the soundstage interpretation that no oder devices can... well at least not my Creative stuff Nor other FIIO Devices Its a diferent sound I advice you to go and test your self if possible.... VIA SE with regular cans its a no go.. un less you dont enjoy high volumes or have very sensible headphones.... that require low power. earlyer I stated I use my walkman at 112 when max volume its 120 an im using regualar iems, some user was really worried about my audition when inded its powerfull but not even close to what my E5 Does with Cans you cant tolerate the volumes.... its seriously loud enough to damage.. if long time sessions at that volume... Not the case of my 1A

May 3, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #37,001 of 45,723
I listen to my 1A at high gain between 75 and 110 depending on my mood / the music with the pretty damned effectivity AK T8ie mkII...

That, to me - is the volume range where things sound quite realistically loud compared to real life

May 3, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #37,002 of 45,723

- Gold plated enclosure
- Massively higher price

The Walkman 1A is by far.....by far the better deal. But, wanting that tiny piece of character the 1Z provides will never come from the 1A. No matter what new firmware you try........short of changing parts in the 1A around. The 1Z offers a different soundstage as notes are projected (especially in the treble) in different more 3D imaging. There is a thick front to back vignette that displays the soundstage and inside that the 1Z notes have more physicality.

With-in that imaging is a more realistic and less flat-field timbre. Where there is this slightly congested midrange tone that the 1A always has. That area is open, wide and smooth with the 1Z. Like mentioned the 1Z has an almost tube like personality where the 1A is solid-state.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #37,003 of 45,723
I listen to my 1A at high gain between 75 and 110 depending on my mood / the music with the pretty damned effectivity AK T8ie mkII...

That, to me - is the volume range where things sound quite realistically loud compared to real life
How many hours playing you get on your device? wow thats high volumes like me do you EQ?

May 3, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #37,004 of 45,723
The Walkman 1A is by far.....by far the better deal. But, wanting that tiny piece of character the 1Z provides will never come from the 1A. No matter what new firmware you try........short of changing parts in the 1A around. The 1Z offers a different soundstage as notes are projected (especially in the treble) in different more 3D imaging. There is a thick front to back vignette that displays the soundstage and inside that the 1Z notes have more physicality.

With-in that imaging is a more realistic and less flat-field timbre. Where there is this slightly congested midrange tone that the 1A always has. That area is open, wide and smooth with the 1Z. Like mentioned the 1Z has an almost tube like personality where the 1A is solid-state.
That's what I was wondering about but couldn't express in a post on the ZX300 thread.
What is the limitations of the hardware, and what can be achieved with tunings, but your post sort made sense to me. I have experimented with a couple of ZX300 tuning mods and as much as I have enjoyed some aspects of them I have realised the limitations of what the ZX300 can achieve sound wise.

May 3, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #37,005 of 45,723
That's what I was wondering about but couldn't express in a post on the ZX300 thread.
What is the limitations of the hardware, and what can be achieved with tunings, but your post sort made sense to me. I have experimented with a couple of ZX300 tuning mods and as much as I have enjoyed some aspects of them I have realised the limitations of what the ZX300 can achieve sound wise.
What device are you comparing it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back