SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #36,977 of 45,723
so I ended up battery test this are the results... From 90% to Please Recharge (thanks for you help)

5H 35M First Bar went home

Turn off rebuild database

8H35M Second bar Out

11H Third Bar out

13H 40M Please Recharge

Effects most all the time 2 On sometimes 3 sometimes 1
Volume 113 AVG
EQ USE heavy

Gain LOW

Question A do you guys USE it till you se the Please Recharge sign?
Question B You think its ok or very good or mediocre?
A- i recharge when the icon start flashing
B 13 hours battery is AVG... i get arround 22

May 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #36,978 of 45,723
Friend WM1A Battery Its very good I accidentally leave it plugged for 3 month all the time(thats detrimental to the battery) my 1A has 900 hours in it thats 3 full hours every day for a year almost and the incident and its the worst runtime here it has passed the 13HS playing with effects on and an avg volume of 113 so have that in mind and it has for shure 2 or 3 years some users here reports same battery time in devices with 3000 hs on them also I got mine at 750US dollars sealed and brand new so i wont call it expensive in my case its a bargain since its the only device I use every day on pair to my phone...

ZX300 battery very good to so far, always turned off every night, not babied. $750 was a great bargain.

May 3, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #36,979 of 45,723
Yeah 113 volume is pretty high. Normally I turn up to 80 something on low gain and 50 something on high...
I use Low gain
* IER-Z1R 62/120
* MDR-Z1R 75/120
*IER-M7 68/120

High Gain
* IER-Z1R 46/120
* MDR-Z1R 64/120
*IER-M7 55/120

May 3, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #36,980 of 45,723
so I ended up battery test this are the results... From 90% to Please Recharge (thanks for you help)

5H 35M First Bar went home

8H35M Second bar Out

11H Third Bar out

13H 40M Please Recharge

Effects most all the time 2 On sometimes 3 sometimes 1
Volume 113 AVG
EQ USE heavy

Gain LOW

Question A do you guys USE it till you se the Please Recharge sign?
Question B You think its ok or very good or mediocre?

Playing flac 16/44 high gain at 50 and source direct with battery saver I get a bit over 20 hours play time and 6-7 days stand by (never turn it off). Player is 3 1/2 years old and have played about 3.500 hours. It is virtually the same time as when it was brand new

May 3, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #36,981 of 45,723
I note thta the IER-M7 to sound at same volume as IER-Z1R require more volume. Are multi-BA IEM's notoriously difficult to drive?

May 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #36,982 of 45,723
I note thta the IER-M7 to sound at same volume as IER-Z1R require more volume. Are multi-BA IEM's notoriously difficult to drive?

I use same volume for IER-Z1R and JH13 that has 8 BA in each side

May 3, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #36,983 of 45,723
I use same volume for IER-Z1R and JH13 that has 8 BA in each side
At least volume is not that high apart from Z1R, also I find the M7 sound better with Hi gain. btw IER-M7 are half the BA per side as your JH13

May 3, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #36,984 of 45,723

I noticed the same thing with my M9s. They need a little more juice than the Z1Rs do. I’m talking about a difference of 5-10 clicks max.

My theory is the way I have them inserted. The Z1Rs are further inserted in my ears than my M9s are. Or I could just be dead wrong.

May 3, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #36,985 of 45,723
than you all for the answers Im sure the problem is the way im using it since i like sub-bass a lot I tame a lot of frecuencies my iem IS very average its a revonext QT2 so I push the player to its limits every time also I listen to lectronic music and also I use effects i can try a softer eq lower volume also... my ears are very fine and i can hear very well as some user here may be able to tell, but i just get sub-bass all the way Ip then -8db on 60hz and -10db on 125 I hate midbass so i get this like very U sound (i also tame 8k a lot!) I like then MX3 brings all the detail up and 3.00 has me coverend in the soundstage and detail retriebal and also it gets so high on the treble extension so for me it works like that direct sound with my cheap iem its a no go and low volumes dont allow me to go U so I may have to upgrade IEM sometime.... also i dont like high gain..for the same orinciples i explained may try going a little easyer on the player next charge see if can get 20 hs as an objective also you all use SD cards? mine is allways reading from the SD

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #36,986 of 45,723
I try alot DAP but i feel power of Sony Dap is very low
I did at first but once I put high gain output and started using balanced out ot really is a good output level for my higher impedance headphones like the Senheisers.

I was wondering how many people listen to music entirely using their WM1A and prefer that than PC with amp/dac
I noticed that their is a large advantage of using a DAP in general, which is not having any connection issues (like USB or Spdif or AES out).
No jitter issues. No player comparability with Windows drivers issues..
There is a huge audible advantage in this, and when I do use my Sony as a dac, I am using it's own cable and the connection which also not have issues.

4 years is quite a long time for a DAP though, especially considering some companies seem to release a new player every other month.
But there is a difference between those type units which have a "Delta-Sigma" architecture, which by necessity are prone to ever improving upgrade chips...

The Sony is totally different, like Chord is different.
You don't see Chord Mojo, Hugo, & Dave being changed, do you?
How long those out?
Ok, they did do a Hugo2 ..
:)

Compared to Authum+ I can hear the relaxed presentation in the midrange, still detailed. It is the best so far for my very resolved audio system, where the 1Z servers as preamp.
I use my 1z as my desktop DAC.
I sold my $2k dacs (I had two) because th3 Sony gave me more pleasure and the type of sound I wanted, an organic sound.
I was willing to give up any small loss of resolve/soundstage for this sound.
But now?...
With these firmware upgrades?
Its just mind blowing that the Sony has elevated itseft so much more!
I no longer even have any doubt that my Sony can hold itself up to any top dac!

I Am still hooked on the WM1Z² mod. Like it alot, very analogue type of sound without a hint of solid state harshness. Exactly what I am after!
This one is just exactly as it labeled.
Just more of that 1z sound even more.
I use solis as a firmware that sets the bar for me.
It has incredible details and width and realism over the past and even most others.

This new "WM1Z²" firmware is like having the width/ involvement of the the presence & resolve of Solis, but solidifying the instrument 3D placement while expanding the soundstage and keeping the liviness and resolve. Then adding more juicy organicness on top!
So yeah, this is now my favorite firmare and new reference point for me to compare any future firmwares.
I currently like the involvement more than the other new one that sets a more relaxed and even more bigger stage.

What are the differences between these 2 1Z specific mods and how did you tune these mods so well without owning a 1Z yourself?
The "WM1Z²" is more involving, while the latest one is more laid-back with greater sounstage.
I don't know how he did it so well either, but he let me test it for initial impressions.

About the analog sounding, I would say that the players already have this sound, the mods are just amplifying that. :)
I feel your two latest focused on this desirable aspect.

50 days of lockdown , my survival pack starts with WM1A and Zeus XR (and ends with Internet and some good hash)

times like these , these audio 'purchases' are tools to keep our mental sanity

and wm1a is one hell of a DAP
Nice!
I hope to be able to do that one day!
:wink:

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #36,987 of 45,723
It's more to do with buying something expensive that could soon be superceded, and would have a four year old battery.

A new one will not have a four year old battery. Batteries don’t age until they are used as far as I know. Also, new WM1Z and WM1A units are manufactured within the last few months.

Every battery operated device will eventually need a new battery or new device. That does not mean a new model is needed. One could buy a new 1A or 1Z again if they like the first one really well. That would not be any more expensive than a replacement model priced similarly.

May 3, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #36,988 of 45,723
A new one will not have a four year old battery. Batteries don’t age until they are used as far as I know. Also, new WM1Z and WM1A units are manufactured within the last few months.

Every battery operated device will eventually need a new battery or new device. That does not mean a new model is needed. One could buy a new 1A or 1Z again if they like the first one really well. That would not be any more expensive than a replacement model priced similarly.

Fair point.

I would be miffed if I bought one now and later this year a new model came out. Nothing wrong with my ZX300 either.

There have been 7 models since 2014, reckon we're due one soon.

May 3, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #36,989 of 45,723

Also, a battery replacement install, is probably the cheapest route.

May 3, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #36,990 of 45,723
here have been 7 models since 2014, reckon we're due one soon.

I remember I bought the fiio m11, only to have the newer model out in a few months lol.

That type of thinking mostly apply with those other players that have short life expectancy.

Waiting for the next best thing is like a pipe dream.

Better to have the current dream now, and not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back