SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #37,022 of 45,723
So, any ideas about WM1A to “weak” to drive Z1R (in ear).
And with Mod FW WM1A maybe better when pair with Z1R?
I try alot DAP but i feel power of Sony Dap is very low.
43C66E84-5955-466C-9EC1-A7ECAAA89758.jpegF8211AA3-9322-4E86-8982-4F050F5CDB7D.jpeg2A0AEF5A-549C-4BDE-A6FA-12215ADF6470.jpeg

So how do you like the sound of the plenue L ?

How would it compare vs 1z?

May 4, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #37,024 of 45,723
Hi
I has tried your wm1a-z1 on my 1A Kmod Ultimate . It's very clean and has more detail , big soundstage but it also has too much bass with me.

This is the same impression I got for this firmware, wish it has less bass

I have found that too many of the "regions" have a bass boost.

So I checked for the region with the clarity and least bass (but with sub-bass).
I ended up with region "CN".
You both should try this region, as the resolution is also highest there.
Special thanks to member "Mindstorms" for showing me the regions.
:)

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #37,025 of 45,723
I have found that too many of the "regions" have a bass boost.

So I checked for the region with the clarity and least bass (but with sub-bass).
I ended up with region "CN".
You both should try this region, as the resolution is also highest there.
Special thanks to member "Mindstorms" for showing me the regions.
:)
CN its very good as U as MX3 amongs the best!

May 4, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #37,026 of 45,723
Have been switching back and forth from different firmwares (wm1a-z1 => wm1z2 => another tuning for wm1z).
Another tuning has a wider soundstage which I like but I felt like the vocals are tiny little bit harsh. Then I switched back to wm1z2 and felt better but the bass was a bit distracting at times.
I am now back to wm1a-z1 for my 1z (DSEE HX on standard & Type B High) and it felt more natural to my ears under this setting!
But who knows, I think I'll wander a bit for a while still to find the "perfect sound".
Blame it on my selection phobia :D

May 4, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #37,027 of 45,723
Funny how we all feel the need to constantly add little disclaimers about how we are expressing our opinion and everyone may experience it differently - I totally get what you are saying.
I have a long history with Sony going back to cassette Walkmans, in more recent years I have chosen them for factors like battery life and for a while they were the only ones with buttons, but mostly I liked that I could hear the sub bass in certain songs and the music never got harsh. Recently I got a Fiio Q5s with THX AAA amp module and it is quite 'transparent', 'analytical' (not my words) and I realise my tastes have changed, and as much as I have loved my ZX300 I am now finding it a bit dark and in need of a bit of sparkle. I still would chose a WM1A as my next step up for several other factors but with your description and experimenting with firmwares and tuning mods I feel I could achieve a more desirable sound.

The new firmwares unlock the hidden potential that the 1A always had. It was almost a feeling of betrayal; having never been able to hear the product for what it was. It is beyond just some random idea of how the 1A was suppose to sound, it was held back betore somehow. The firmwares moved the 1A right next to the 1Z. I always thought the change with the 1A with aftermarket firmware was more dramatic. And even though lately I’ve been using the 1Z, there was times when I thought all I would ever need is a 1A.

May 4, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #37,028 of 45,723
Both him and me we recommend flashing to stock and the reapllying the tuning.

He mentioned he did that and the bass was better afterwards. :)
Actually, I have already flashed to the stock firmware before installing them as you said. This is my impression after all, I'm not sure how he came to that at first without flashing to stock. It could be that I have a modded unit, i remember the original 1a was a bit on brighter side so wm1a-z1 might be better for it though

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #37,030 of 45,723
Why you need to flash to stock you mean reset all setings?
Because it seems the tunings are cumulative and the new tunings are added to the previous. So that is why it's recommended to go back to stock by installing the official Sony firmware to clear out any additional tunings as the Sony installer formats the system partition. Thus giving you a fresh start to a custom tuning.

I can confirm this is true as I installed WM1A-Z which I licked. I then installed WM1A-Z1 which I didn't like. When I went back to WM1A-Z it didn't sound like I remembered. After doing a stock 3.02 install and then WM1A-Z. The sound was back to what I remembered for WM1A-Z.

May 4, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #37,031 of 45,723
The new firmwares unlock the hidden potential that the 1A always had. It was almost a feeling of betrayal; having never been able to hear the product for what it was. It is beyond just some random idea of how the 1A was suppose to sound, it was held back betore somehow. The firmwares moved the 1A right next to the 1Z. I always thought the change with the 1A with aftermarket firmware was more dramatic. And even though lately I’ve been using the 1Z, there was times when I thought all I would ever need is a 1A.
Jupiter right?

May 4, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #37,032 of 45,723
In my unbiased opinion and trusting my ears, I think these are my personal best firmware versions for the 1A. My software region is on J.

1. WM1A-z1
2. WM1Az
3. LPGT Mod
4. DMP-Z 1.02 Mod
5. DMP Portable Original

May 4, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #37,033 of 45,723
Oh my......I just tried switching from J to MX3 and it's like another world here.... Bass and resolutions are so different... Guess I'll have to switch to different firmwares to test all over again haha
Haha maybe someone already doned that! MX3 is the unloker for my its the stock on my 1A I love it so much! abrief description would be Awesome rumbling bass, maximum resolution unlocked + Huge stage what else can you ask! it can be too much for some users Bonnus Track - Credible 3D cues

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #37,034 of 45,723
Haha maybe someone already doned that! MX3 is the unloker for my its the stock on my 1A and all others felt like dowgrade lol
I tried MX3 a couple of times and actually liked the sound. But unfortunately it doesn’t support the remote so that was the deal breaker for me. I use the remote extensively on a daily basis and won’t trade anything for it. So J is the best for me.

May 4, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #37,035 of 45,723
I'm back to Autumn +, I found this firmware to have more overall balance sound and this works so well for my modded unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back