SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #37,051 of 45,723
OK, so I have the WM1Z on order, and a pair of Z1R's too... And I'm working my way through this thread, currently on page 400... pfff! :disappointed_relieved:

I'm wondering whether to get a TA-Z1HE as well, but unsure if this would bring me anything on top of the WM1Z?

So the question, for those that have this setup, and I'm sure there are a few - is it worth splurging the extra money for the desktop amp - I read somewhere that it gives a more expansive experience??

Note that for casual listening I bought a pair of WH-1000MX3's, which pending the delivery of the 1Z I'm streaming with Apt-X from MacBook Pro and Audirvana, which sounds quite decent, if a little bit woolly. I note that over AAC from iPhone though, thy sound terrible.

The Sony TA-ZH1ES may be slightly better than the 1Z, still to get the best sound from the Sony TA-ZH1ES, you need a 1A or 1Z to feed it. Though it’s probably almost as good using USB computer. The TA was not so special using it with CDs from a transport with coaxial RCA.

But really the TA does it’s magic more with full-size headphones. Though you will notice some difference over the 1Z and 1A with the Sony TA-ZH1ES and IER-Z1R. Though also it will be maybe better (a bigger difference) using the MDR-Z1R. You don’t list which Z1R your getting? :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #37,052 of 45,723
While I recommend them for the noise cancelling, I don't recommend them for the sound.

Their smaller counterparts, WF-1000XM3, sounds a lot better - everything is a lot more clear, including the bass, and they have an unexpectedly good rendition of soundstage for their size.
The Sony TA-ZH1ES may be slightly better than the 1Z, still to get the best sound from the Sony TA-ZH1ES, you need a 1A or 1Z to feed it. Though it’s probably almost as good using USB computer. The TA was not so special using it with CDs from a transport with coaxial RCA.

But really the TA does it’s magic more with full-size headphones. Though you will notice some difference over the 1Z and 1A with the Sony TA-ZH1ES and IER-Z1R. Though also it will be maybe better (a bigger difference) using the MDR-Z1R. You don’t list which IER your getting? :)

OK, I ordered the TA- anyway, what the hell! Was going for €1700 on amazon.fr - and that's the beauty of Amazon, if it doesn't cut the mustard then I can send it back.

As for IEM's, TBH I tend to find them super uncomfortable. I have some wired Shure SE-215 (I think they are) that I bought to wear in bed so as not to disturb the wife, but I find them quite unpleasant, with the wire behind the ear and all.

I bought some B&O E8's, but they were ergonomically awful.

I have the original AirPods, which are great for very casual listening, but sound crap and I have the AirPod Pro's, which are a lot better and are very comfortable, plus the noise-cancellation is great. These I use when out walking or in the office where the iPhone integration and simplicity is an asset.

Maybe I should try the WF-1000XM3 as suggested - I see the "gold" ones pretty cheap on Amazon (€179) and I'm still in the window to send the WH'd back - which indeed might be considered redundant when I get the 1ZR's... With the WF's I'd still be getting the benefit of LDAC... Will order!

It has to be said that I'm so used to wireless BT from iPhone, as I appreciate the utility, but have a desire for something more. The 1ZR's appeal as they're closed-back, I have HD600's, but they're unusable in the living room with a wife and three kids...

May 5, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #37,053 of 45,723
With the WF's I'd still be getting the benefit of LDAC

They don't have LDAC, only SBC or AAC. But they at least have DSEE HX, which can help.

And to be honest, even SBC can sound really good. I just listened today for about 2 hours, connected to WM1A, where I chose "SBC - Quality Preferred" and I have nothing to complain about.

Trust me, they sound better than the bigger ones. I also have the big ones and I tested them again a few moments ago. The sound feels bloated, it's not even close to the clarity of the small ones.

May 5, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #37,054 of 45,723
They don't have LDAC, only SBC or AAC. But they at least have DSEE HX, which can help.

And to be honest, even SBC can sound really good. I just listened today for about 2 hours, connected to WM1A, where I chose "SBC - Quality Preferred" and I have nothing to complain about.

Trust me, they sound better than the bigger ones. I also have the big ones and I tested them again a few moments ago. The sound feels bloated, it's not even close to the clarity of the small ones.
Indeed. I’m blown away with the sound of the WF1000XM3 paired with WM1A although on SBC. can’t fault them in any way.

May 5, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #37,055 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 I know it’s a bit too much to ask but you are the only few contributors around who would share with us. I have always been curious, if it’s possible to make a firmware based on on dmp-z1, then how is about one based on TA-ZH1ES <= I spoke to Jude and he said he prefers this the most

May 5, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #37,056 of 45,723
unburned wm1z/romi seems to like that haha

I found that vocals are more closer to me and instruments are behind. Also musical recordings like dsd files for example jazz at pawn shop or natural jazz sound more realistic and true to life, lets say closer to true to life sound perception...

I love U as it has the deepest sub bass hit.

J because its just very special no other region sound like it.

Mx3 is more balanced and better all arounder then U. I think U is good for edm :) J for more airy perception. I use pw1960 4wires and tia fourte noir iems. So my synergies are different
exactly

May 5, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #37,057 of 45,723
1588685486916216587447297242677.jpg

May 5, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #37,058 of 45,723
@morgenstern09 I know it’s a bit too much to ask but you are the only few contributors around who would share with us. I have always been curious, if it’s possible to make a firmware based on on dmp-z1, then how is about one based on TA-ZH1ES <= I spoke to Jude and he said he prefers this the most

The TA does not share the same code base as the WM and Z1 so I doubt that would be possible except for somebody trying to emulate the sound by ear like the original Lootoo sound emulated fw

May 5, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #37,059 of 45,723

I could certainly give it a try, but as @nc8000 mentioned, I don't think that it shares the same code base, so it may not do anything in particular.

May 5, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #37,060 of 45,723
OK, I ordered the TA- anyway, what the hell! Was going for €1700 on amazon.fr - and that's the beauty of Amazon, if it doesn't cut the mustard then I can send it back.

As for IEM's, TBH I tend to find them super uncomfortable. I have some wired Shure SE-215 (I think they are) that I bought to wear in bed so as not to disturb the wife, but I find them quite unpleasant, with the wire behind the ear and all.

I bought some B&O E8's, but they were ergonomically awful.

I have the original AirPods, which are great for very casual listening, but sound crap and I have the AirPod Pro's, which are a lot better and are very comfortable, plus the noise-cancellation is great. These I use when out walking or in the office where the iPhone integration and simplicity is an asset.

Maybe I should try the WF-1000XM3 as suggested - I see the "gold" ones pretty cheap on Amazon (€179) and I'm still in the window to send the WH'd back - which indeed might be considered redundant when I get the 1ZR's... With the WF's I'd still be getting the benefit of LDAC... Will order!

It has to be said that I'm so used to wireless BT from iPhone, as I appreciate the utility, but have a desire for something more. The 1ZR's appeal as they're closed-back, I have HD600's, but they're unusable in the living room with a wife and three kids...

I had the WH and the WF and ended up selling the WH for several reasons
- I preferred the sound of the WF
- Although the WH noise cancelling was better than the WF, the WF is good enough even for planes
- It was simply more convenient to bring the WF than the WH
- The WH did go nicely with a ldac source but the aac on the WF again really is good enough

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #37,061 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/gearofwar.344545/

Solis was the firmware that emulated the Sony TA-ZH1ES.

Don’t remember if pure Solis or a variant of it?

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #37,063 of 45,723
unburned wm1z/romi seems to like that haha

I found that vocals are more closer to me and instruments are behind. Also musical recordings like dsd files for example jazz at pawn shop or natural jazz sound more realistic and true to life, lets say closer to true to life sound perception...

I love U as it has the deepest sub bass hit.

J because its just very special no other region sound like it.

Mx3 is more balanced and better all arounder then U. I think U is good for edm :) J for more airy perception. I use pw1960 4wires and tia fourte noir iems. So my synergies are different
What about CN?
:frowning2:

then how is about one based on TA-ZH1ES <= I spoke to Jude and he said he prefers this the most
I think because it have the S Master chip.
:)
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/gearofwar.344545/

Solis was the firmware that emulated the Sony TA-ZH1ES.

Don’t remember if pure Solis or a variant of it?
To me the Solis was most immersive and involving at the time, but in comparison to the latest offerings it is a bit busy/wide/diffuse.
I using moded 1z (wiring only) and details were a bit more noticable.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #37,065 of 45,723

But really the TA does it’s magic more with full-size headphones. Though you will notice some difference over the 1Z and 1A with the Sony TA-ZH1ES and IER-Z1R. Though also it will be maybe better (a bigger difference) using the MDR-Z1R. You don’t list which Z1R your getting? :)

Apologies, I realise I didn't respond to your question - MDR-1ZR's, as I said in other post, I'm not a big fan of inner-ear phones, on the other hand if the IER 1ZR's were worth it then I'd take a look. I guess the IEM work better with the 1Z than the MDR's, maybe I could get both, although the IEM's seem quite pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back