SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #37,066 of 45,723
What about CN?
:frowning2:

I think because it have the S Master chip.
:)

To me the Solis was most immersive and involving at the time, but in comparison to the latest offerings it is a bit busy/wide/diffuse.
I using moded 1z (wiring only) and details were a bit more noticable.
I stuck with Solis as it worked for me. What did you change to if you don't mind me asking?

May 5, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #37,067 of 45,723
In some way, yes, but when I had a similar issue, just applying the same tuning again worked.

Maybe you should try WM1A-Z1 again, after flashing to stock. :) I personally can't fully decide between the two, hehe
when i told this was happening nowone believed me... i listened sort of overlaping in stage! but dont trust me I have hearing problems (not true)

May 5, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #37,069 of 45,723
4B7DAB3A-5889-49BF-9F25-C19034B17B50.jpeg

I've been listening to this record for years, and first time in my life have i heard the bass string to bounce and vibrate with textures but at the same time rumble deep, rather than just a boomy decay, WHILE THE REST OF THE BAND IS FIRING. Thx to Romi-1Z, Chronos T10.5, Labkable Titan Au and LX SE. Every bricks to the fortress contributes to this ultimate bass resolution. Can't believe it's from such a portable setup.
Thx to such profound improvement, im rediscovering my huge metal library like never before. I don't even want to write about other goodness. It may go rather long.
Sorry for derailing, let's move on.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #37,070 of 45,723
The TA and MDR are made for each other. The only extra things you could do down the line is get the cradle to stream the 1A/1Z to the TA with and get a AQCarbon USB to complete everything. Also some enjoy the aftermarket Kimber cable for the MDR-Z1R. Some of us with this combo think the 2 cables and cradle make a big difference.

May 5, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #37,071 of 45,723
4B7DAB3A-5889-49BF-9F25-C19034B17B50.jpeg
I've been listening to this record for years, and first time in my life have i heard the bass string to bounce and vibrate with textures but at the same time rumble deep, rather than just a boomy decay, WHILE THE REST OF THE BAND IS FIRING. Thx to Romi-1Z, Chronos T10.5, Labkable Titan Au and LX SE. Every bricks to the fortress contributes to this ultimate bass resolution. Can't believe it's from such a portable setup.
Thx to such profound improvement, im rediscovering my huge metal library like never before. I don't even want to write about other goodness. It may go rather long.
Sorry for derailing, let's move on.
(FEMS / Roadrunner, APCY-8239)

Just came upon one early Japan pressing of Symbolic.....finding out how good the album sounded right at the start. I’m pretty sure it’s the best I’ve heard it.
BF4F42B6-5C6D-4745-BD71-B030B61E01FE.jpeg

May 5, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #37,072 of 45,723
I stuck with Solis as it worked for me. What did you change to if you don't mind me asking?
Solis was fantastic on my friend's stock 1a.
Because of the covid19 crisis, I am not able to update him with the newer firmwares.

As for change, I am talking not about these firmwares, but instead the "region" .
The region alters the EQ & clarity slightly.

You just need the software to run and type in the different "region" letters.
I switched to region "CN", but "MX3" is also fantastic.
I did try region "J" and it was very nice, but I went back to the others for more liveliness.
If you use IEMs, then everything is magnified and that's why changing region is great to tune to your liking, after you decide on a fav firmware choice.
The firware changes the whole perception & flavor of the sonic image, so it's different than the regions.

CN is awesome
Haha yeah I know!
I wanted to see if "Vitaly2017" tried it.

Thx to Romi-1Z, Chronos T10.5, Labkable Titan Au and LX SE
From my research in the mods, I feel the romi upgrade of using the blackgate caps may be helping alot with your new detailing.

I am not sure if any cap can hold up to those caps...

May 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #37,073 of 45,723
(FEMS / Roadrunner, APCY-8239)

Just came upon one early Japan pressing of Symbolic.....finding out how good the album sounded right at the start. I’m pretty sure it’s the best I’ve heard it.
I believe the JP CD has a pretty squashed dynamics. Within the CD pressings only the Canadian press has normal / fuller dynamic but unfortunately it's pretty rare.
The first press Roadrunner vinyl is unbeatable, which i happen to own and its transfer. That's what this masterpiece was initially intended to sound like
D326AE26-FF7B-46FE-80D7-150B66B53795.jpeg

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #37,074 of 45,723
From my research in the mods, I feel the romi upgrade of using the blackgate caps may be helping alot with your new detailing.

I am not sure if any cap can hold up to those caps...
Yeah i guess the 18 BGs are the major contributors too.
I have never experienced such a high technicality together with a warm musical signature coexisting from a portable system with IEM, only from some high-end turntable decks

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #37,075 of 45,723
Apologies, I realise I didn't respond to your question - MDR-1ZR's, as I said in other post, I'm not a big fan of inner-ear phones, on the other hand if the IER 1ZR's were worth it then I'd take a look. I guess the IEM work better with the 1Z than the MDR's, maybe I could get both, although the IEM's seem quite pricey.

I have both the MDR and the IER but if I had to choose it would certainly be the IER I would keep

May 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #37,076 of 45,723
I have both the MDR and the IER but if I had to choose it would certainly be the IER I would keep
With wm1z, the ier is the best iem I've heard

May 5, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #37,077 of 45,723
May 5, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #37,079 of 45,723
can you elaborate on why? whats the reason one over the other?

It would be hard to part with either but I find the sound of the IER more engaging and even while maintaining the musical rather than analytical approach that the MDR has so much of. Also I find that the IER isolates better than the MDR. And then the IER is more versatile from a logistic point as I travel a lot. However the IER does not produce the physical feeling/presence of the music that the large driver and around ear design of the MDR does. Also while I have no comfort or fit problems even for long sessions with the IER the MDR is more comfortable for long sessions and there are times where I can’t use an in ear. So I don’t want to get rid of either and fortunately don’t have to but that being said I probably would not have bought the MDR if I already had the IER

May 5, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #37,080 of 45,723
CN is awesome

Not so much with neutral and or highly resolving IEM's, bass is tamed. CN is really focused on the high end resolution to suit the majority of music presented in China. Is like a gradual slope all the way up the peak at 20K. One of the first things I did was flip my WM1A off CN as lacks bass to my taste.

E - is strongly V shaped and can be piercing in the treble with WM1A and little hollow in the mid's
CA - Big & bouncy, mid bass spills over too much, fun but wore off fast
MX3 - U shaped, really nice no real negatives other than no BT remote support
TW - The opposite of CN, storming bass, with reduced resolution in the treble
J - Is the most balanced to me and never wearing, maybe little unexciting depending on the headgear/listener. This region works well if flipping between varying IEM/HP with differing sound signatures as doesn't tilt one way or the other too much. Also sounds the most accurate region to my ears that I've tried; cymbals, bass guitar etc. all sound on point in the same track...

Currently The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland on the WM1A (J) with Sony XBA-N3 with Sony's 4.4 balanced Kimber Kabel, sounds right even with the N3's inherent bass boost with the details across the track not being overshadowed. That's what I like about J...

Q-6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back