SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #37,081 of 45,723
It would be hard to part with either but I find the sound of the IER more engaging and even while maintaining the musical rather than analytical approach that the MDR has so much of. Also I find that the IER isolates better than the MDR. And then the IER is more versatile from a logistic point as I travel a lot. However the IER does not produce the physical feeling/presence of the music that the large driver and around ear design of the MDR does. Also while I have no comfort or fit problems even for long sessions with the IER the MDR is more comfortable for long sessions and there are times where I can’t use an in ear. So I don’t want to get rid of either and fortunately don’t have to but that being said I probably would not have bought the MDR if I already had the IER
Interesting to know! i was going to say the same its an advantage the sound headphones produce... they say the better is speakers then headphones then iems but thats what i was thinking today if im missing my speakers do you guys have speaker setup why you chose iems over speakers and headphones? its a good question!

May 5, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #37,082 of 45,723
Not so much with neutral and or highly resolving IEM's, bass is tamed. CN is really focused on the high end resolution to suit the majority of music presented in China. Is like a gradual slope all the way up the peak at 20K. One of the first things I did was flip my WM1A off CN as lacks bass to my taste.

E - is strongly V shaped and can be piercing in the treble with WM1A and little hollow in the mid's
CA - Big & bouncy, mid bass spills over too much, fun but wore off fast
MX3 - U shaped, really nice no real negatives other than no BT remote support
TW - The opposite of CN, storming bass, with reduced resolution in the treble
J - Is the most balanced to me and never wearing, maybe little unexciting depending on the headgear/listener. This region works well if flipping between varying IEM/HP with differing sound signatures as doesn't tilt one way or the other too much. Also sounds the most accurate region to my ears that I've tried; cymbals, bass guitar etc. all sound on point in the same track...

Currently The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland on the WM1A (J) with Sony XBA-N3 with Sony's 4.4 balanced Kimber Kabel, sounds right even with the N3's inherent bass boost with the details across the track not being overshadowed. That's what I like about J...

Q-6
I agree Queen 6!

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #37,083 of 45,723

I've been listening to this record for years, and first time in my life have i heard the bass string to bounce and vibrate with textures but at the same time rumble deep, rather than just a boomy decay, WHILE THE REST OF THE BAND IS FIRING. Thx to Romi-1Z, Chronos T10.5, Labkable Titan Au and LX SE. Every bricks to the fortress contributes to this ultimate bass resolution. Can't believe it's from such a portable setup.
Thx to such profound improvement, im rediscovering my huge metal library like never before. I don't even want to write about other goodness. It may go rather long.
Sorry for derailing, let's move on.

Epic album as is Symbolic :sunglasses: As you said the dynamics are killed by the more modern releases. I really wish that they would rerelease as was intended in the day, this loudness war serves no purpose other than making great music sound bad IMO...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #37,084 of 45,723
Have you guys heard KR its like having a huge cotton between the iem and the ear wow!tell me if im crazy

Not tried KR, I prefer to move slowly as switching rapidly across regions and or firmware doesn't work for me. I want to take time to absorb the details of the music across multiple genre's. Kind of expect KR to be inline with CN, J & TW so could be great or could be not so great,

A lots gong to depend on the headgear as some of Asian only brands present very resolving hardware which can be perceived as piercing in the west, equally Sony's tuning may take this into account hence the dullness of KR with some headgear.

Q-6

May 5, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #37,085 of 45,723
Interesting to know! i was going to say the same its an advantage the sound headphones produce... they say the better is speakers then headphones then iems but thats what i was thinking today if im missing my speakers do you guys have speaker setup why you chose iems over speakers and headphones? its a good question!

I prefer speakers if both my wife and I want to hear music and for when we are watching movies. I prefer headphones if it is only me listening if my wife is doing something quiet. I prefer IEMs if my wife is on the phone, watching TV or something else not quiet. IEMs give me the best sound isolation.

May 5, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #37,086 of 45,723
Testing battery from 90%charge) as we speak 4.8 Hs still hasent drop the first mark, 112 avg volume mp3 320 allways one effect on.... lest see how much it endures after the reset (i did the reset top 100%)

WOW your IEM's must be hard to drive, I rarely pass 60/70 of 120. If I listened at 100+ would be way too loud. Think that the Westone W40 is the hardest I have to drive at 31 Ohms or the XBA-N3 on 4.4 balanced at 32 Ohm (@1KHz) although I've switched the cable from the stock N3AP cable to Sony's own 4.4 balanced Kimber Kabel.

Q-6

May 5, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #37,087 of 45,723
WOW your IEM's must be hard to drive, I rarely pass 60/70 of 120. If I listened at 100+ would be way too loud. Think that the Westone W40 is the hardest I have to drive at 31 Ohms or the XBA-N3 on 4.4 balanced at 32 Ohm (@1KHz) although I've switched the cable from the stock N3AP cable to Sony's own 4.4 balanced Kimber Kabel.

Q-6
yap its hard to drive and I eq VERY agresively like+10 -8 -10 -2.5 -1.5 -3.5 -3.5 -7 -1 two effects on avg I like rumbling a lot its via SE 16 ohms el cheapo iem lol

May 5, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #37,088 of 45,723
Hi guys, can you check my WM1A in this case is normal or this is something wrong with it! I am looking for a lot of things about this but I am very confused. I bought 2nd from another person, they will refund if it is an error, so please get confirmation from everyone! Thank you
Click link to watch video please:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10nMRpxU4NvDiY2yvcy9AqB7gh7VUFBGl

May 6, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #37,089 of 45,723
Hi guys, can you check my WM1A in this case is normal or this is something wrong with it! I am looking for a lot of things about this but I am very confused. I bought 2nd from another person, they will refund if it is an error, so please get confirmation from everyone! Thank you
Click link to watch video please:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10nMRpxU4NvDiY2yvcy9AqB7gh7VUFBGl
what firmware is it on? try installing the latest firmware , maybe it will resolve

May 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #37,091 of 45,723
My WM1A run 3.02 is the latest fw. It happened in the last few days. A few days ago, a tick-tock sound i heard it from the IEM when i plugged in, or changing content but it wasn't heard from outside
the tick-tock sound is very normal by switching between high-res recording and regular 16/44 ones. Nothing wrong with forward and backward button, a bit slow on the Play button, did you not touch it properly?

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #37,092 of 45,723
the tick-tock sound is very normal by switching between high-res recording and regular 16/44 ones. Nothing wrong with forward and backward button, a bit slow on the Play button, did you not touch it properly?
I didn't use a physical button, i'm touching switch the song by a touch-screen. And like a told, few days ago, that sound didn't heard from outside, it heard from the IEM when i plugged in and i heard it from my IEM. But today it occurred outside, you can hear the tick-tock sound from the outside, not from IEM.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #37,093 of 45,723
I didn't use a physical button, i'm touching switch the song by a touch-screen. And like a told, few days ago, that sound didn't heard from outside, it heard from the IEM when i plugged in and i heard it from my IEM. But today it occurred outside, you can hear the tick-tock sound from the outside, not from IEM.

Search here for "relay". That's where the sound is coming from. It's perfectly normal for this player.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001449016.html

May 6, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #37,094 of 45,723
My WM1A run 3.02 is the latest fw. It happened in the last few days. A few days ago, a tick-tock sound i heard it from the IEM when i plugged in, or changing content but it wasn't heard from outside

Don’t forget lags and functionality like shown can also come from the memory card or even the files in the player. I don’t have these type of response issues at the moment......but many of us have even having the players crash from time to time; though super rare. It’s normally the files you have added being the issue. Much of the time it is a faulty memory card or files on the memory card. Also I think years ago we would format to Exfat so the cards could take more, though it’s been years since the subject has come up.

A quick test is erase the memory and do a soft reset, meaning your not fully erasing the hours, then simply add one or two files on a memory card and see. Of course some have done a full factory reset; though rarely is that needed.

Maybe someone that knows can respond, as their is a file system which works best. Though all work, STFS is the fastest. Exfat holds more than Fat32. I’m not sure if the players read STFS?

Note:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-13659665

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #37,095 of 45,723
Don’t forget lags and functionality like shown can also come from the memory card or even the files in the player. I don’t have these type of response issues at the moment......but many of us have even having the players crash from time to time; though super rare. It’s normally the files you have added being the issue. Much of the time it is a faulty memory card or files on the memory card. Also I think years ago we would format to Exfat so the cards could take more, though it’s been years since the subject has come up.

A quick test is erase the memory and do a soft reset, meaning your not fully erasing the hours, then simply add one or two files on a memory card and see. Of course some have done a full factory reset; though rarely is that needed.
I tried many ways (flashing older fw, refactory, unmount SD card using Stronge, etc...) but it doesn't work. I think it maybe related to hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back