SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #30,121 of 45,723
A question for the WM1Z users - how does the golden surface hold up over time? Does it come off on the corners or something? Thanks.

Mine still the same as when bought from new in March 18. No visible wear. Also without case but my 1z is only used at home.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #30,122 of 45,723
A question for the WM1Z users - how does the golden surface hold up over time? Does it come off on the corners or something? Thanks.

One thing to note is the surface due to the underlying copper material is extremely soft. So small knocks can absolutely cause small dings. In this regard the 1A aluminum is actually harder. The gold stays but can seem to slightly wear thinner on edges. It’s almost a microscopically small difference in gold surface and looks as if it changes color slightly, but not like there is material showing from underneath but maybe slightly? Also the phenomenon doesn’t actually get worse but maintains such a finish over time. It is so small it probably can’t even be photographed? In fact it’s maybe even subjective if it’s actually happening or not? But the outer edges can seem to show it ever so slightly, which makes me think it’s happening? Also it’s in areas which seem to get more friction like the edge above the volume control. But it’s so small that probably most don’t even notice it?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #30,123 of 45,723
So i was wondering if i could get some advice from owners of this wonderful player - i purchased one a couple of weeks ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I ordered a pair of FH7s and a **** 16 core 4.4mm balanced cable in addition to the FH5's i planned on using.

I've noticed something which i had initially put down to the headphones, but i think is actually the player. When i am using the balanced out, if i rotate the headphone jack inside i can hear crackling in my headphones (sometimes a little, sometimes very significant) - there is also some play in the balanced output. If i push the top of the headphone jack it will move.

Today with the FH7s, the sound crackled and completely dropped out when i went to take the player out of my pocket. This occurred with my FH5's (but that had a loose left MMCX connector and i chalked it up to that) - however the FH7 are also exhibiting this. I swivelled the jack around until the crackling stopped and the sound coming out of the player changed - before the treble was harsh and the sibilance was painful but it smoothed out and became that sound i knew. The crackling is much more noticeable with direct sound off (DSEE on).

Does anyone experience this? It sounds like a dodgy balanced output but wanted to check before I start a return.

I have not experienced the crackling but the jacks are mounted so they can give a little

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #30,124 of 45,723
So i was wondering if i could get some advice from owners of this wonderful player - i purchased one a couple of weeks ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I ordered a pair of FH7s and a **** 16 core 4.4mm balanced cable in addition to the FH5's i planned on using.

I've noticed something which i had initially put down to the headphones, but i think is actually the player. When i am using the balanced out, if i rotate the headphone jack inside i can hear crackling in my headphones (sometimes a little, sometimes very significant) - there is also some play in the balanced output. If i push the top of the headphone jack it will move.

Today with the FH7s, the sound crackled and completely dropped out when i went to take the player out of my pocket. This occurred with my FH5's (but that had a loose left MMCX connector and i chalked it up to that) - however the FH7 are also exhibiting this. I swivelled the jack around until the crackling stopped and the sound coming out of the player changed - before the treble was harsh and the sibilance was painful but it smoothed out and became that sound i knew. The crackling is much more noticeable with direct sound off (DSEE on).

Does anyone experience this? It sounds like a dodgy balanced output but wanted to check before I start a return.

The small movement varies from player to player. My 1Z has slight movement at the 4.4mm but no crackles or cutting out. Though the 3.5mm could have slight sound changes if I move it around. The 1A is rock solid on both ports, to the point of surprising people who have seen a bunch. So strangely there is not a level consistency with all the same. Though the reason you see L shaped plugs is to take pressure off the plug going into the port. I would never walk around one in my pocket with pants pushing on the plugs! You never want any force against the plugs at any time.

Though parts can be ordered and replaced by a Sony service personal which will bring a new experience to the ports, with zero (or very little play) and no sound crackles.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #30,125 of 45,723
The small movement varies from player to player. My 1Z has slight movement at the 4.4mm but no crackles or cutting out. Though the 3.5mm could have slight sound changes if I move it around. The 1A is rock solid on both ports, to the point of surprising people who have seen a bunch. So strangely it’s not a level consistency there. Though the reason you see L shaped plugs is to take pressure off the plug going into the port. I would never walk around one in my pocket with pants pushing on the plugs! You never want any force against the plugs at any time.

Though parts can be ordered and replaced by a Sony service personal which will bring a new experience to the ports, with zero (or very little play) and no sound crackles.

Good to know the movement isn't too unusual but i will return and get a replacement because I'm still within the 28 day window with Amazon - as far as i'm concerned a £1000 DAP shouldn't have any significant issues such as audio crackling or drop outs. The player is now £100 cheaper than when i bought it too so i can get it at a lower price too :D

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #30,126 of 45,723
Good to know the movement isn't too unusual but i will return and get a replacement because I'm still within the 28 day window with Amazon - as far as i'm concerned a £1000 DAP shouldn't have any significant issues such as audio crackling or drop outs. The player is now £100 cheaper than when i bought it too so i can get it at a lower price too :D

Another thing to take into account is that the player is only half of the combination. Meaning plugs actually can have inconsistencies. They vary in size just slightly and where the contacts are. This is mainly an issue with adapters which can somehow change the sound due to the contacts. But.......I would try a bunch of headphones just to make sure it’s an issue on the players side. It’s the loss of contact on both areas which causes the crackles. I would walk around with a Walkman in my front shirt pocket....maybe but never tight jeans where the plugs are getting bent off sideways. They are called Walkmans after all!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #30,127 of 45,723
Has anyone ever considered deep cleaning the walkmans? Does Sony do that for a service charge? Some visible dirt is on both 3.5mm and 4.4mmeven though I have the silicon cap.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #30,128 of 45,723
I was able to get a few minutes listening time with the FiiO M11 this week. Normally their products don’t sound right, but I have to say the M11 is a step in the right direction.

Most of this curiosity is due to reviews saying the M11 and 1Z sound close to the same. At $449.99 I would hope it was only a fraction of the quality of the 1Z? But in the end it was nice. Still everything was not as unified and was almost disjointed sounding? But, my curiosity has me still wondering about it’s quality.......to the point of my maybe buying one in a couple months? The only thing that’s scary is the operating system and they fact that they fail to get upgrades after a while?

I have not tried the M11, but have the Q5s. I can practically guarantee the noise floor of the M11 is quite high compared to WM1a or z. This is not something Fiio spends much effort to improve. I even tried their THX AM3D module and it was worse than the default amp. For the first time in about 3 years, I heard hissing from a portable device on my JH Laylas.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #30,129 of 45,723
Most of this curiosity is due to reviews saying the M11 and 1Z sound close to the same.
I have read that the m11pro is the better sounding unit, not the m11.
Regardless, the sony and fiio sound nothing like each other..
Sony still has the edge on image saparation/placement when I compared the WM1A to the M11pro.
The Pro was wider & a bit taller, but not as deep.
Detailing a bit more pronounced on the m11Pro as well, but not more.
So it's a different sonic image and preference here, but still a great achievement of Fiio for the price...
I would label the Fiio more forward & "vivid", while the Sony is more "natural" .
Both are musical.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #30,130 of 45,723
To me, the latest AKM chip in other players is more musical than the LeSabre chip, but both are following a trend to exaggerate a bit, on both low-level detailing, and image width, in order to sound more impressive.
**Edit:
to put things in perspective this was only noticeable on top headphone gear like Utopia and Denon 9200.
I do think you would be hard-pressed to find any type of exaggerated traits on regular headphones..

They do sound great and elevate the level of quality sound for the price, so good thing in general, but IMO not as natural as the Sony.
I prefer the more natural, organic sound & image placement of the Sony WM1A, and the 1Z even better, even if that improvement is observed at 10-5% or less.
To me, the latest firmware has brought the two (1a&1z) closer in terms of imaging and stage, with the main difference in the sound tonality.. The frequency extremes with 1z are more, with a slightly richer overall tonality..

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #30,131 of 45,723
I have read that the m11pro is the better sounding unit, not the m11.
Regardless, the sony and fiio sound nothing like each other..
Sony still has the edge on image saparation/placement when I compared the WM1A to the M11pro.
The Pro was wider & a bit taller, but not as deep.
Detailing a bit more pronounced on the m11Pro as well, but not more.
So it's a different sonic image and preference here, but still a great achievement of Fiio for the price...
I would label the Fiio more forward & "vivid", while the Sony is more "natural" .
Both are musical.

To me, the latest AKM chip in other players is more musical than the LeSabre chip, but both are following a trend to over-exaggerate a bit, on both low-level detailing, and image width, in order to sound more impressive.
They do sound great and elevate the level of quality sound for the price, so good thing in general, but IMO not as natural as the Sony.
I prefer the more natural, organic sound of the Sony WM1A, and the 1Z even better, even if that improvement is observed at 5% or less.

For those out there with no DAP the M11Pro price starts to infringe closer to a great deal on a Sony Walkman 1A. IMO

FiiO M11pro retail $600
Sony Walkman 1A retail $1199 but can be found new for $800-$900

So in that contest and due to the price similarity it re-brings-up the basic premise of wanting the Sony in the first place. I’ve never heard the M11Pro but it’s nice to hear you think the 1A is better. Yes......I mean that’s the whole goal if it’s possible to like a player and prefer it even with it’s inadequacies. My whole curiosity was due to on line folks saying the original M11 was “equivalent” to the 1Z.

In reality I thought the M11 was thicker or warmer than the 1A? But I totally agree it’s a break-through for FiiO and a good thing in general. It also points to an exciting future. Just the power the device had as a portable and at the asking price was cool. Still for me learning the true sound of the M11 is one of those things that I almost could not ascertain in a showroom environment.

Just like people who first get the Walkmans home and have an awakening after a day when they adjust and realize what’s going on with the Sony players. I’m pretty sure the reverse could happen with the FiiO M11.....especially having the Sony players around for comparison.

At $449.00 it’s something I may take out of the house to locations I would never risk the Walkmans at. But that’s the thing the M11Pro may be technically better but it now starts to infringe with the price of the 1A? I think it’s great that FiiO has matured but they can’t lose track of the whole reason people purchased them in the first place. They would be nowhere if it was not for offering a quality for a good value. I own FiiO E17K Alpen 2 DAC/Amp and the M11 was in a whole different league!

I still may buy a M11.....only due to the price.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #30,132 of 45,723
My whole curiosity was due to on line folks saying the original M11 was “equivalent” to the 1Z.
It definitely has to be a system synergy matching.
I would say the Sony does well with transparent headphones, while the fiio would do wonders to a more laid back or less transparent headphone..

As with everything, it is hugely a preference you must find for yourself.

Some prefer ladder dacs.
Some prefer delta-sigma.
Some prefer custom programmed dacs like Chord & Sony.

To each his own.
I found my preference sound with the Sony.

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #30,133 of 45,723
People get sick of hearing the word “Synergy” but it is everything. Much of the time you don’t even know what stuff works best till you randomly find synergy. What’s interesting is how different the M11 sounds to the Sony players. Really night and day to me. That’s what is wild how different people are all listening to completely different sounding DAPs..............and like em? Lol

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #30,134 of 45,723
I don’t think we will see folks selling off their 1A or 1Z for keeping an M11Pro or M11. I’m also very suspect of people who write about how good these new FiiO players are. Yes, they are better than anything FiiO has ever made, but keep in mind.....they were given to the reviewers for free most all of the time. You also have to wonder what extra monetary endorsements were given out? Sony hands out nothing ever! So any review on Sony product was lent out by a retail source or purchased at full retail (when newly out) by the reviewer!

That was the greatest thing Sony ever did... was fail to create “shill” reviewers.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #30,135 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back