1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
  1. lesale08
    I am using this one too. Makes me worry less when I am out and about with the dap.

2. riotgrrl
    He's talking about the 1Z.
    Because it is gold and heavy.
    You don't own the 1Z.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  3. nc8000 Contributor
    It has happened to me a few times

4. Erfan Elahi
    What will happen if someone carries the 2 briefcases containing a DMP-Z1 and a Empyrean !

5. phonomat
    Well, they shouldn't have too much trouble identifying the Empyrean as a headphone. If you're carrying a DMP-Z1, you'll probably be better off with it than without it.

Erfan Elahi likes this.
  6. bana
    It happens to me 6 out of 10 times when i travel. I always tell them it's a Sony Walkman, which people know or remember, and they let me go. I also keep a popular album ready to show them, like Dark side of The Moon.
    It works for me.

Maxx134 likes this.
  7. LinstantX
    Me here is became interestingly, and somehow charger is worth charge 1Z? I mean, how many volts and amps does it need.

8. nc8000 Contributor
    any standard usb charger or usb port will charge it, it’s a standard interface

9. bflat
    70K miles flown this year in US and EU. Not once questioned about my 1z while it stayed in my backpack. I have TSA Pre in US, but nothing special for EU. I think I only had this happen once in the past 2 years and that was probably the time I thought I was being smart taking the 1z out trying to pre-empt, but got the complete opposite result. I just passed security at JFK with no issue. I also lugged around a Woo Audio WA8 for a couple months and never got questioned on it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I got searched for a small bottle of insect repellent I left in my bag that was literally .25 ounces more than allowed per bottle capacity, yet only half full. I only mention this to say i don’t think there is much random luck involved.

10. bana
    It's the TSA Pre that makes the difference, which I get from time to time.

11. boblauer
    So funny and sorry for the off topic. I fly quite a bit, 20 times a year. Only time in the last 5 years I ever had a problem was TSA in San Diego flying to Maui. They tried to confiscate a money clip I have with a small knife(2 inches more of nail file than knife) that was my dad's and gift from his commanding officer as he got promoted to XO on a sub. Needless to say I was a raving lunatic when they tired to take it as my Dad's been gone since 81.

12. Redcarmoose
    I was able to get a few minutes listening time with the FiiO M11 this week. Normally their products don’t sound right, but I have to say the M11 is a step in the right direction.

Most of this curiosity is due to reviews saying the M11 and 1Z sound close to the same. At $449.99 I would hope it was only a fraction of the quality of the 1Z? But in the end it was nice. Still everything was not as unified and was almost disjointed sounding? But, my curiosity has me still wondering about it’s quality.......to the point of my maybe buying one in a couple months? The only thing that’s scary is the operating system and they fact that they fail to get upgrades after a while?

DSC_0029.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Erfan Elahi likes this.
  13. ProF3T1
    A question for the WM1Z users - how does the golden surface hold up over time? Does it come off on the corners or something? Thanks.

14. toontoonizer
    So i was wondering if i could get some advice from owners of this wonderful player - i purchased one a couple of weeks ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I ordered a pair of FH7s and a Yinyoo 16 core 4.4mm balanced cable in addition to the FH5's i planned on using.

I've noticed something which i had initially put down to the headphones, but i think is actually the player. When i am using the balanced out, if i rotate the headphone jack inside i can hear crackling in my headphones (sometimes a little, sometimes very significant) - there is also some play in the balanced output. If i push the top of the headphone jack it will move.

Today with the FH7s, the sound crackled and completely dropped out when i went to take the player out of my pocket. This occurred with my FH5's (but that had a loose left MMCX connector and i chalked it up to that) - however the FH7 are also exhibiting this. I swivelled the jack around until the crackling stopped and the sound coming out of the player changed - before the treble was harsh and the sibilance was painful but it smoothed out and became that sound i knew. The crackling is much more noticeable with direct sound off (DSEE on).

Does anyone experience this? It sounds like a dodgy balanced output but wanted to check before I start a return.

15. flyer1
    Mine still the same as when bought from new in March 18. No visible wear. Also without case but my 1z is only used at home.

Redcarmoose, rcoleman1 and ProF3T1 like this.