SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #24,271 of 45,723
I also found 3.0 to maybe be a slight slower on creating database? Though for sound quality us audiophiles will put up with a lot. Lol.

Did it stop at about the 88% mark? Mine stops there now. But I have around 10K files so it’s not too slow.

By the way 30,000 files on the player is smaller than mp3 songs?.......no?
Same here,
it looks like it takes more time to rebuilt the database and when it's around 80% it doesn't progress for few minutes.

My unit crashed twice since i installed the new FW, always on the same song.

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #24,272 of 45,723
Oct 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #24,273 of 45,723
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #24,276 of 45,723
Is it always crashing on the same song(s)?

Can you reproduce it constantly?

If it's always the same song(s) look at the ID3 tags and analyze the song to see if there are any encoding errors in it.

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #24,278 of 45,723
Ok - so what am I doing wrong?
Firmware updated (yes database rebuild is slow) and I am able to stream Tidal via Bluetooth from a iPhone XS Max.

Now - if I connect Apple CCK cable to the iPhone and then use the included USB cable with the 1Z I get no music coming out of the phone into the 1Z.

What am I doing wrong? I assume the included USB cable which came with the 1Z is what needs to plug into the Apple CCK cable??

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #24,279 of 45,723
Love the Bluetooh DAC function. Such a great update. A+
I have 512GB microSD on mine.

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #24,280 of 45,723
What you are doing is a ton of work! But you may find some options on the player are beyond the ability of your testing methodology to determine. IMO
Just like some of us can hear settings and some can’t. What would really be a gift is if you could measure the distinct frequency differences between 2.0 and FW 3.0.
As some already hear no differences from 2.0 to 3.0. And...... some hear 3.0 warm and others think 3.0 is less bass heavy. Lol

It'd be great to measure different firmwares... I'm afraid I have no patience for that, though :wink:

From what I currently hear, I like 3.0 very much. I remember my colleague recommending 1.02 as the darkest and most euphonic. I tried downgrading from 2.0 to two different firmwares you guys post here and - surprise! - I loved the darkish tone.

Albeit after a few hours I could listen no more. It was just less coherent and made my ears were bleeding during longer sessions.

I see that Sony is trying to go more neutral and natural with these upgrades each time since 1.02.

Thus they compete with Ultima and Hugo2, while at the same time providing us with cool "vinyl" features if anybody likes to force some colour and euphony into this neutrality.

I like that.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #24,282 of 45,723
The firmware update 3.0 (mac) always crashed everytime when I followed the instruction where WM1Z is connected to the Mac using USB Mass Storage mode... once it is connected, the next step of updating automatically quits...
Has anyone encountered the similar issue?

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #24,283 of 45,723
The firmware update 3.0 (mac) always crashed everytime when I followed the instruction where WM1Z is connected to the Mac using USB Mass Storage mode... once it is connected, the next step of updating automatically quits...
Just upgraded mine this morning. No crashes at all. iMac Pro on Mojave.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #24,284 of 45,723
You have to unplug the player from the Mac, run the installer and only when you get the message from the installer you have to connect the player back to the Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back