SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #24,151 of 45,723
after upgrading to 3.0, my bal output... deaf right side....
but right side still sound if i pull the jack a little bit off, and i use 2.5 to 4.4 adapter (i pull the 2.5 jack off)
i dont know, maybe sony change the configuration of the balance output :-?
please help me, or give me firmware 2.0, if u still have it :frowning2:
Here u are.
http://service.sony.com.cn/91738.htm
eqjHDo2.jpg

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #24,152 of 45,723
RCA... What's there to be disappointed? This is a huge upgrade tbh. Very positive.

Don’t know why anyone would double amp their Walkman to the TA amp with an RCA cable? There is the dongle to go directly in the back, the included side mini USB and the cradle option.

But maybe the slight tone difference matches synergy with your headphones and bypasses any distortion issues?

3.0 is super exciting with the 1Z. I have to admit I’ve been using the 1Z over the 1A the last three weeks. 3.0 didn’t seem to change the 1A?

But.......... the 1Z is a whole new world. The soundstage went crazy wide with the 3.0 FW. The IEMs with wide soundstage went even wider! And......inside the soundstage was rock solid imaging surrounded by a nice fluidity. Holy crap. The 1Z may be 100% better now???

Also strangely there could be a mix of reality and placebo perception at this point in time. Though it seems the 1Z treble is now also slighly more smooth? Anyone else think that with 3.0 and the 1Z?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #24,153 of 45,723
hi, I kind of late here so if you can pls direct me a link or explain what is these 2 functions for.
And what is needed to enable them or use them?
I really have no idea here..

"The Bluetooth Receiver & The USB-DAC functions have been added."

thanks
I've not tried the upgrade myself but it seems with USB-DAC, you can output from, say, your iPad with camera connector to use the NW-WM1(A/Z) as a DAC/Amp.

As for Bluetooth Receiver, seems to be like the above where you have a separate source (like your phone) which will stream via bluetooth to your NW-WM1(A/Z).

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #24,155 of 45,723
I've not tried the upgrade myself but it seems with USB-DAC, you can output from, say, your iPad with camera connector to use the NW-WM1(A/Z) as a DAC/Amp.

As for Bluetooth Receiver, seems to be like the above where you have a separate source (like your phone) which will stream via bluetooth to your NW-WM1(A/Z).
Thanks, so
For USB dac u will requires a driverdriver from Sony ?

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #24,156 of 45,723
43134421_10217290239758658_2993745870651916288_o.jpg

My last WM1A client told me he loved SP1000SS so much asked me to try improving the mod to make it sound good like that so I tried some usual stuff with highend grade Nordost conductor and upgraded some more components. It has very similar sound signature to SP1000SS as I predicted and it probably sound even better than WM1Z stock with these massive upgrades. :D

Regards,
Keetakawee

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #24,157 of 45,723
Thanks, so
For USB dac u will requires a driverdriver from Sony ?

For Windows pc’s you need to download and install the Sony usb dac driver

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #24,158 of 45,723
Just spent the whole evening testing and analyzing FW3.0 update, and wrote a detailed mini-review going over all the new features. You can read it here.

wm1z_fw3.0-03.jpg wm1z_fw3.0-06.jpg wm1z_fw3.0-09.jpg wm1z_fw3.0-10.jpg

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #24,159 of 45,723
Oh no...please don't. I thought I have already got over my craving of getting the 1z. Now it's 100% better? My wallet has gone screaming and hiding somewhere now.
I’m sorry! But it maybe that I’ve always been a soundstage junky. I keep headphones around which I actually only like for the soundstage. But I have to say it’s different. Also I may like 2.0 with the 1A as it had personality? 3.0 with the 1Z is smoother, faster and imaging is different, like the background got an increase in blackness. But I have to say I would have never guessed this soundstage change. Especially if you listen to electronic music; just these spacious sound cues out and about around you? Sorry! But to my ears (now) the players are really different. And if this was placebo the 1A would be different, but it's not?

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #24,160 of 45,723
Don’t know why anyone would double amp their Walkman to the TA amp with an RCA cable? There is the dongle to go directly in the back, the included side mini USB and the cradle option.

That is exactly why I was disappointed with the new bluetooth receiver function. I connect my 1A to my TA with the doc and usb cable, bypassing the the DAC and amp in the 1A for the better DAC and amp in the TA. The new bluetooth feature does not allow this because USB connection is "not available" when in bluetooth receiver mode. So the only way to stream Tidal to my TA is the inferior analog connection mentioned which I don't want to do. This is disappointing to me.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #24,161 of 45,723
That is exactly why I was disappointed with the new bluetooth receiver function. I connect my 1A to my TA with the doc and usb cable, bypassing the the DAC and amp in the 1A for the better DAC and amp in the TA. The new bluetooth feature does not allow this because USB connection is "not available" when in bluetooth receiver mode. So the only way to stream Tidal to my TA is the inferior analog connection mentioned which I don't want to do. This is disappointing to me.

Well the option for you I guess would be some other BT receiver which you could connect to the TA with optical or RCA SPDIF Toslink?

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #24,163 of 45,723
Any impressions between 1.2 and 3.0 firmware? I do not like 2.0 and downgraded to 1.2 as it is more warm and "sony" like signature.
Now tempted to have all software benefits with 3.0, but after all sound is most important to me.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #24,164 of 45,723
Just spent the whole evening testing and analyzing FW3.0 update, and wrote a detailed mini-review going over all the new features. You can read it here.

Good write up Twister6.

Any impressions between 1.2 and 3.0 firmware? I do not like 2.0 and downgraded to 1.2 as it is more warm and "sony" like signature.
Now tempted to have all software benefits with 3.0, but after all sound is most important to me.
Take a look at Twister6's firmware review in his link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back