SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #24,181 of 45,723
*Update: I got it working via my Windows 10 VM...

Anyone have trouble updating firmware on Mac OS Mojave? Updater app seems to die as soon as I connect WM1A...

Yes, it seems the DAC feature is not working with my MacBook Air? It sees the Walkman but flashes off. Only a driver for Windows now, mabe later Apple will get one??

FW 3.0
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...ayers-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1a/downloads/00015425

Here is the driver to use the Walkman as a DAC with a PC.
https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/downloads/00014879

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #24,182 of 45,723
WM1 series just trying to be perfect walkman which have good lows, good highs and beautiful mids.

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #24,183 of 45,723
I found a link Redcarmoose added and I'm just installing it raw. I don't like bloatware apps. But thanks I appreciate you

Exactly as Music Center takes and tries to arrange all your music. Just go and download the updater. Load it off your browser. I updated both players in under 10 minutes.

FW 3.0
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...ayers-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1a/downloads/00015425

Here is the driver to use the Walkman as a DAC with a PC.
https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/downloads/00014879

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #24,184 of 45,723
Ohh.. the new FW has made the WM1Z less warm, less bassy, wider soundstage. The Z1R + WM1Z combo sounds more palatable now. First impressions, the WM1Z & the TA-ZH1ES sounds closer now

I have not tried the Z1R yet, but the update changes the soundstage the most with big soundstage IEMs. The soundstage must get bigger with the Z1R? The bass must be tighter now with the Z1R/1Z combo and more detailed.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #24,185 of 45,723
  • Function for manually adding cover art images to albums.

what does this do , and how is it put into use ?

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #24,187 of 45,723
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #24,188 of 45,723
My quick notes on firmware 3.0 and WM1z
  • USB DAC works well with Mac OS Mojave
    • Very noticeable lag with Youtube video, but I don't care about that
    • JRiver works perfectly, including DoP DSD
  • OTG - iOS
    • I uncheck the "Charge" option under DAC settings
    • Will connect to my iPhone and DAC shows in iOS but can't get any sound
  • BT Receiver works well with my iPhone Xs Max iOS 12
    • Confirms AAC Codec when paired with iPhone
    • Very noticeable lag with Youtube
    • Netflix downloaded and streaming video has a tiny bit of lag but completely acceptable. This is exactly what I wanted so pretty satisfied.
  • Have not tried vinyl sound
  • Have not noticed any obvious change in tone
In brief - this is exactly what I was hoping for.

What's your iPhone? I tried on my 4s (yeah, no new iPhone yet), it needed the camera kit and yes, charge this device from the source to work. but it did output audio.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #24,190 of 45,723
The only thing that has changed was that I installed new firmware...

If you card is not totally seated in place it can happen. If your memory is too full it can happen. Sorry can’t help much more?

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #24,191 of 45,723
My quick notes on firmware 3.0 and WM1z
  • USB DAC works well with Mac OS Mojave
    • Very noticeable lag with Youtube video, but I don't care about that
    • JRiver works perfectly, including DoP DSD
  • OTG - iOS
    • I uncheck the "Charge" option under DAC settings
    • Will connect to my iPhone and DAC shows in iOS but can't get any sound
  • BT Receiver works well with my iPhone Xs Max iOS 12
    • Confirms AAC Codec when paired with iPhone
    • Very noticeable lag with Youtube
    • Netflix downloaded and streaming video has a tiny bit of lag but completely acceptable. This is exactly what I wanted so pretty satisfied.
  • Have not tried vinyl sound
  • Have not noticed any obvious change in tone
In brief - this is exactly what I was hoping for.

I can’t believe you think it sounds the same as 2.0?

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #24,192 of 45,723
screenshot_20160410_044509888.png

Can anyone actually hear a difference? By the way screen capture is volume up volume down hold power button till message shows up.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #24,193 of 45,723
i think wm1a with 3.0 sounds leaner compared to 2.0

not sure if this is good or bad , need to spend some more time with the new FW as at some albums i feel the sound as being sonewhat more 'metallic' , like going from Zeus XR on a copper cable to a silver one

gonna try the vinyl thing setting, maybe this will make the sound more warm/balanced

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #24,194 of 45,723
I can't install it via my Mac running Sierra. The update crashes repeatedly. The instructions say to connect the Sony, then download, and run the updater. The on-screen instructions say to remove the Sony, then reconnect it. As soon as I do, the updater crashes. If I don't remove it, the updater crashes.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #24,195 of 45,723

Can anyone actually hear a difference? By the way screen capture is volume up volume down hold power button till message shows up.

Changes are subtle but easily audible on WM1A

Standard - thicker notes acros all frequencies with lower clarity and softer attack compared to Direct Mode
Arm resonance - a little thinner and with added crosstalk so it sounds less focused.
Turntable - resonance - same as arm resonance but more subtle effect - more focused but still thinner than Standard
Surface Noice - notes as thick as Standard but less and softer upper midrange and highs.
Direct Mode - most nuanced, best clarity and transparency, best attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back