SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 17, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #13,156 of 15,730
Looks like Nand wafers are sorted into 4 grades by Micron:

AS grade− AS grade for SSD strict Bad block requirements.− Fully tested material, full density, 95% Valid blocks− Functional, High Quality NAND− Able to use in High Performance (multi-plane mode) applications.▪

AF Grade− Fully tested material, full density 94% Valid blocks▪ Valid blocks not optimal for Multi-plane applications− Can be used as either as either Density Optimized or Speed Optimized (but not both):▪ Less than full density in a high performance application or▪ Full density in a lower performance application or▪ Use single plane operation or Firmware better structured lower grades.▪

AR grades− Quick scan tested Material to identify gross bad blocks.− Sorted by the initial Valid blocks after scan− Customer is expected to test remaining unmarked blocks.▪

MB Grade (Effective April 11, 2019)− Mixed Bins Material, limited return policy− Customer is expected to test all blocks− Effective Yield: 35%

source page 3: https://borecraft.com/PDF/Datasheets, WP, Specs/SpectekNANDBuyersGuide.pdf

Customer’s Model: Recommended Product Grade

for low-cost Client SSD, build and go -AS

for Aggressive low-cost Client-SSD, willing to screen and adjust FW -AF

for low-cost USB or SD, build and go -AF

for Aggressive low-cost USB or SD, willing to screen and adjust FW -AR,-MB

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #13,158 of 15,730
The new Samsung Pro Ultimate seems to be an interesting new microsd card, Samsung touts better error correction and more power efficiency with 28nm controller

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-unveils-new-pro-ultimate-memory-cards/

However what worries me about Samsung from a sound quality POV is the max current consumption stated in the datasheets:

https://download.semiconductor.sams...ata_sheet_microSD_Card__PRO_Ultimate_v1.0.pdf

Swissbit S55U data sheet worse case current consumption is only 170mA for writes, 140mA for reads.(do note that the Swissbit is a slower read/write card vs the samsung)

Most other microsd cards that have listed datasheets, also typically do not exceed 400mA for max current consumption.

Previously found one that has lower current consumption than but the price is too ex.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #13,159 of 15,730
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #13,160 of 15,730
The explanations and logic of his recommendations turn out to be much more interesting that I initially thought they would be. Probably because of memories of when I made power cords from a spool of Belden cable. Stiff, teflon insulated, and hard to work with.

The PC chassis info is interesting, but more applicable if using the PC for an audio source. Or for CD ripping.
My current PC, which is fairly old now, uses a Lian Li PC-V700 aluminium case, which has rubber bushing mounts for all HDD , CD-ROM, and all FANs, which provide a level of vibration isolation which is absent from most cases.
I suppose this would be a good option for a PC case for Audio purposes

This is one of my cables. I can't even remember the details of the designs I followed back then.
PB071884.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #13,161 of 15,730
Hello, community. I hope everyone is well. I just wanted to share something with you, just to serve as a warning. I had a real bad experience with a sony dap I bought last year a few days ago, so just as a warning to you, don't know if you're into sony daps. I purchased the nw-wm1zm2, brand new top of the line sony dap as soon as it came out last year. Spent a ton of money I don't have on accessories and headphone amp upgrades to it. About four days ago, suddenly, it refuses to stay on unless plugged in. On top of that, it starts getting extremely hot while being plugged in--like so hot you can cook on it. So I had it for 1.5 years, purchased on March 21, 2022 brand new. However, their warranty is only one year. I babied this thing, bought a gator pro $200 case just to store it among three other mite cases to carry it.

Anyway, I never dropped it even one time while I've had it. Only six months out of warranty, sony basically told me that I was on my own to fix it. And they only have one authorized service company that fixes them that actually bought the contract from sony to fix all their electronics. So if you're out of warranty you have to default to this company for any type of repairs. Sony then quickly discontinues the making of any of the components months after new devices come out and only offers it to this company, who has a track recording of ridiculously overcharging for labor and parts because consumers have no other options. It's totally unacceptable that a company as big as sony would do something like this and pass on this excessive cost to often loyal customers. Just a warning for future reference.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #13,162 of 15,730
I just purchased a Lotoo Mjolnir and a set of Meze Elite to go with it, since I already have the oriolus traillii and pw orpheus combo. For a more portable rig, I will just an ifi gryphon xdsd and the cayin c9 amp I used for the Sony. Of course, the Mjolnir sounds significantly better than the Sony, which is to be expected for the price difference. But I will never buy a Sony product out of warranty again. I did buy the ps5 out of warranty upon release and a Sony Bravia z8h 8k TV a few years back, but I made sure to add a warranty on the TV because it was available at the time. I'm devastated, heartbroken over this. I'm going to send it in to United Repair to see what they can do--though, I've heard they ridiculously overcharge--fix it and get rid of it and the pw ground adapter and the ton of accessories I bought for it. This is horrible. Never again! Just be careful, guys. These are extremely expensive items. To have them not be willing to help when I in no way did anything (that I know) to cause this is disgusting. There is not one scratch on the unit!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #13,163 of 15,730
I have been a loyal Sony customer for years, have always trusted in their brand. To have them do this is the biggest slap in the face ever. I will never look at them the same.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #13,164 of 15,730
I have been a loyal Sony customer for years, have always trusted in their brand. To have them do this is the biggest slap in the face ever. I will never look at them the same.

Technically the device is out of warranty, and that's it.

1 year warranty doesn't sound too good though, but you should've known that before buying it.

Hopefully it's not too expensive to fix. If you were in UK/Europe, there is someone who might've been able to take a look at it (Nayparm).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #13,165 of 15,730
Hello, community. I hope everyone is well. I just wanted to share something with you, just to serve as a warning. I had a real bad experience with a sony dap I bought last year a few days ago, so just as a warning to you, don't know if you're into sony daps. I purchased the nw-wm1zm2, brand new top of the line sony dap as soon as it came out last year. Spent a ton of money I don't have on accessories and headphone amp upgrades to it. About four days ago, suddenly, it refuses to stay on unless plugged in. On top of that, it starts getting extremely hot while being plugged in--like so hot you can cook on it. So I had it for 1.5 years, purchased on March 21, 2022 brand new. However, their warranty is only one year. I babied this thing, bought a gator pro $200 case just to store it among three other mite cases to carry it.

Anyway, I never dropped it even one time while I've had it. Only six months out of warranty, sony basically told me that I was on my own to fix it. And they only have one authorized service company that fixes them that actually bought the contract from sony to fix all their electronics. So if you're out of warranty you have to default to this company for any type of repairs. Sony then quickly discontinues the making of any of the components months after new devices come out and only offers it to this company, who has a track recording of ridiculously overcharging for labor and parts because consumers have no other options. It's totally unacceptable that a company as big as sony would do something like this and pass on this excessive cost to often loyal customers. Just a warning for future reference.
Sorry to hear about your wm1zm2 problem.
From your description, it sounds like the DAP is functional, but it is overheating? i.e. It can still turn on and play music?
If yes, then there is a strong likelihood that the battery is defective, which can be good news, if it is only the battery, and not the motherboard, or other components.
As it is out of warranty, and you will need to pay shipping, evaluation/estimate, and an expensive repair, at the minimum, to the authorized Service Depot, there is another option.

https://www.npaudio.uk/
Contact @Nayparm about the possibility of him doing the repair. He is a well respected headfi member whose specialty is in modding equipment.
NPaudio can also add mods (your choice) to improve the DAP, while you have it with him. This way, your repair cost will get you an improved DAP.
If sent to Sony repair, you will get the same DAP back, at a likely expensive repair cost.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #13,166 of 15,730
Thanks for the reply, guys. So, yes, it will turn on when plugged in. But it overheats very badly while being plugged in. I figured it has something to do with the battery. But now the right earphone won't make any sound on the balanced 4.4mm output. So this leads me to believe that it's likely more than just the battery. When I noticed that it was not only not holding a charge but also not playing music on 4.4mm right side, I visibly cringed thinking of what a repair on such a niche product would cost. None of the devices I ever bought have had this same fate. This has been the first and only. So it definitely serves as an eye-opener.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #13,167 of 15,730
Neilsoto30 : Sorry to hear the bad experience with your Sony, hardly a cheap piece of kit either. I bought mine in Japan from Sony and also purchased a 2 or 3 year warranty straight off (was not hugely expensive). Dread the thought of anything going off (my NW1 lasts 5 years with no issues) as everything has to be said in Japanese on the Sony site and setting up an account is almost impossible for a non-Japanese (forget Google translate)- nightmare to interact, but very polite and delivered fine. Hope the repair goes well... N

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #13,168 of 15,730
I tried to message him, but it seems he's banned for some reason. I will try to contact him through his website. Thanks, guys.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #13,169 of 15,730
I would think since you already have Sandisk Ultra 1TB, just use it first unless you are looking to upgrading to a bigger capacity. The Sandisk Ultra has more than sufficient read speed to handle any kind of music from the Walkman.
Thank you Sonywalkmanuser! This is good to know. I've hit the capacity threshold, hence the need to reach for a higher capacity but good to know the Ultra itself ought to be enough. I keep a backup of my music on my QP2R which is also facing "the same music" re SD limits...but powering my old Mjolnir electrostatic amp+Stax SR 009, but the Sony is my main listening source with JHA13R2. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back