SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #13,126 of 15,987
a little bit off topic: i bought the sony ht-a9. What an amazing device, what a theater feeling right at home.

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #13,127 of 15,987
is 1AM2 a sonic upgrade (as a dap only) to 1A ?

what are the sound differences between these 2 ?

Oct 15, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #13,129 of 15,987

depending on whether what are you looking for and whether you are using stock firmware or MrWalkman 's firmware
Compared to stock firmware:
WM1AM2 has tighter bass (but a less low mid as well, losing the richness that WM1A has), cleaner sound (there is an intended distortion in WM1A meant to mimic vintage audio amplifier), wider soundstage (but WM1A has better depth, the sound is more holographic 3D, just like a tube amp sound stage)

Compared to MrWalkman 's firmware:
WM1A can mimic a wide variety of DAP, there were 4 sound profiles with at least 10 regions to choose from and additional 2 custom regions. We can get a cleaner sound by setting Alternative DAC to 1, and can mimic the wider sound stage by turning on the DC Phase Linearization to "Type A Low". There is one caveat, Mr Walkman does not have the WM1A sound profile yet. WM1Z is a bit close, it is like WM1A with extended treble, we can get closer to WM1A by using a region that have occluded highs like CEV / CE7)
We can have WM1AM2 sound in WM1A but not the other way around

In terms of OS, WM1AM2 can stream, its DSD Remaster is not perfect yet, losing the dynamics when turned on. I don't like the audio player interface, but I do not think I will use other players as well because of the differences in power consumption.

I myself still prefers WM1A compared to WM1AM2, because I am a tinkerer, if you prefer streaming and does not need a customizable DAP, go for WM1AM2, or go further to WM1ZM2. Or why not own both WM1A and WM1AM2? tinkering is fun :D

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #13,130 of 15,987

The situation is similar to when the WM1A came out, and the question was whether it was worth upgrading from the ZX2.
My subjective opinion is that the WM1AM2 is an improvement to the 1st gen. There is better noise and power performance, a different (better?) clarity/presence.
(I will not try to describe detailed sound differences, as other people have done that much better than I could.)
Worth the upgrade? My opinion is yes.
Up to each person whether they think it is worth it, though.

As it should be easy to try it out in the stores, that will answer your question much better than anybody's subjective opinion could.

Or are you just trying to convince yourself?

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #13,132 of 15,987
Finished reading through the entire thread.
Where's the applause? (I can hear the difference!)

Can we actually hear a difference?

I think some people are naturally born with strong hearing abilities to hear subtleties of sounds in the music, some may learn/notice it over time through experiences, while others might even lose it over time due to aging or health reasons. It's both a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #13,133 of 15,987
Can we actually hear a difference?

I think some people are naturally born with strong hearing abilities to hear subtleties of sounds in the music, some may learn/notice it over time through experiences, while others might even lose it over time due to aging or health reasons. It's both a blessing and a curse at the same time.

There are many times where I have set out to listen critically, only to get swept away by the music.

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #13,134 of 15,987
Mr. Takashi Kanai's take on the advantages of Digital Amplifers:

Orginal:
http://kanaimaru.com/da9000es/d160.htm

Features of S-Master (1)

Simple
Updated 040516
First draft 040501

TA-DA9000ES uses S-Master PRO method. This is an improved version of the basic S-Master method for use with single components, but the S-Master method itself also solves various problems with digital amplifiers.

First of all, let's explain three points in which the S-Master is superior.

1. The S-Master method is simple

First of all, the S-Master method is extremely simple. Let's compare it with analog amplifiers and other types of digital amplifiers.

1.1. Analog AV amplifier configuration diagram

1601.gif

This is the signal path for an analog audio amplifier. The input signal is assumed to be digital. The DSP is responsible for equalization and sound field processing, but when no processing is performed, the input data passes through without any processing.

The next D/A converter is the part that converts the digital signal into an analog waveform. These days, the 1-bit method is mainstream, so the output of this D/A converter is exactly the same as the pulse waveform seen on the previous page. However, I don't have the power to drive the speakers.

The role of the LPF is the same, separating noise and signal waveforms. The maximum output voltage of an LPF is about 2 volts. The analog output of a CD player, etc. has the same level of signal as this part. This waveform becomes a waveform of several tens of volts that can be used to drive a speaker with a subsequent analog power amplifier . This power amplifier section is the part that generates the analog distortion mentioned above.

Although it is not shown in the diagram, there is an analog volume between the LPF and the power amplifier, which allows you to adjust the volume. There is some sound quality deterioration and S/N deterioration here, but usually no major problems occur.

1.2. Relatively common configurations of other digital amplifiers

Before looking at the S-Master system, let's take a look at the configurations of other digital amplifiers.

1602.gif

For example this. Please compare the analog amplifier configuration diagram in Section 1.1. They are exactly the same as far as having a voltage level D/A converter and LPF. In other words, the pre-stage converts it into an analog signal. After that, it is used as a power amplifier to perform A/D conversion again, perform switching amplification, and drive the speaker through the LPF again.

It may seem wasteful to change to analog in the middle when the original is digital, but this type with an analog part in the middle really exists. This format has the difficulty of improving various characteristics and making it difficult to improve the purity of the sound.

1.3. Structure of the S-Master system

So what does the S-Master system look like?

1608.gif

This is the S-MASTER method. I think it looks simple. This configuration can also be said to be the same as the first half of the analog AV amplifier in Section 1.1.

1604.gif

That's right, the S-MASTER method is a DA converter = power amplifier . The input digital amplifier has no analog part in the middle, and only one D/A conversion obtains the power to drive the speaker. This is the S-Master method.

Now you understand the first feature of the S-Master method. That is " simple ". It's simple compared to many other digital amplifiers, but also simpler than traditional analog amplifiers. The simplest audio amplifier is the S-Master system.

1.4. Other simple methods

So, besides the S-Master, are there any similar simple digital amplifiers? I would like to add that I don't want to mislead you into thinking that only Sony has a simple method, but in fact it does exist. This was the case with the product of Company T, which was the first in the world to commercialize a fully digital amplifier. There are also manufacturers in Japan that are commercializing products using a fully digital method.

So, what is the difference between these manufacturers' products and S-Master?

One is the existence of the C-PLM method, which will be explained in detail in the next section 17. C-PLM is a mature technology developed by Sony and used in its own D/A converters for 15 years (as of 2003).

one more. S-Master thoroughly manages the time axis. This will be explained in Section 18.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #13,135 of 15,987
Source: http://kanaimaru.com/da9000es/d150.htm

Basic advantages of digital amplifiers
Updated 040517
First draft 040501

Now, we understand that digital amplifiers amplify using pulse-like waveforms that are not at all similar to audio waveforms. So what are the benefits of going digital?

There are various benefits, but first let's take a look at the heat problem that causes deterioration in the sound quality of analog amplifiers.

1.Digital amplifiers do not have thermal distortion

First, let's look at the state of heat generation in the elements, just as we did with analog amplifiers. Please take another look at the image to see how the analog amplifier heats up.

1202.gif

No matter how many times I look at it, it's an incredible heat waveform. But this was the world behind analog amplifiers. So, what kind of heat does a digital amplifier generate?

1405.gif

This is the heat generated by the digital amplifier. how is it. There is very little fever. Also, the shape of the slight residual heat is very similar to the audio waveform. In other words, distortion due to heat is less likely to occur.

Why is this so? Actually, the audio pulse is a cutout of the power supply voltage, and Q1 and Q2 are in charge of cutting it out. Q1 and Q2 are simply turned on and off alternately to connect the output to the power supply. In other words, Q1 and Q2 operate as very high-speed switches .

By the way, you probably turn on and off electric heaters (as well as grills), lights, and irons many times a day. So, does the switch get hot when you use an electric heater or iron? Sometimes the wall switch is too hot to touch.

Not really. The reason is that the switch has no resistance. Where there is no resistance, there is no heat generation.

That's right. The key is to use Q1 and Q2 like a switch. Since Q1 and Q2 are semiconductor switches, their resistance is not completely zero, so they generate some heat. However, the heat generation is only a few tenths of that of an analog amplifier.

For this reason, digital amplifiers generate less heat. Digital amplifiers that take advantage of miniaturization are already on the market, but this one takes advantage of the advantage of generating less heat in terms of miniaturization.

In the world of single components such as the TA-DA9000ES, downsizing does not have much meaning. However, because it generates less heat and the shape of the heat generation is straightforward, the sound is very natural. This allows for natural music reproduction, which is difficult to achieve with conventional analog methods.

2. Is TA-DA9000ES big or small?

Even though it is an integrated AV amplifier and is digitalized, it has a surprisingly large chassis. When the TA-DA9000ES was announced, it was controversial because it wouldn't fit in a rack (now rack shops are being blamed for saying the TA-DA9000ES won't fit...). Some critics have given it the nickname ``bonnet train'' due to the stepped design of the front panel and its majestic appearance.

So, is the TA-DA9000ES really that big?

Actually, I think the TA-DA9000ES is very small . This is because there is no analog amplifier among AV amplifiers that can simultaneously output 7 channels of instantaneous current supply capacity exceeding 30A. There is no fanless 200W x 7 channels (I think).

If you were to create an amplifier with the same output current capacity as the TA-DA9000ES using the analog method , you would need 3 to 4 times the volume. It's the size of a little baby dance. In other words, the TA-DA9000ES is still quite small.

3. He has no crossover distortion.

Now let's look at crossover distortion. Again, this is an analog example.

1203.gif

How about a digital amplifier?

1303.gif

This is near the zero cross of the digital amplifier. Audio waveforms are expressed by the density of pulses, so to speak, but there is no particular reason why the zero cross after passing through a low-pass filter is different from other parts. In other words, there is no "crossover" in the first place . Naturally, no crossover distortion occurs.
In this way, digital power amplifiers have no distortion due to heat generation and no crossover distortion. It has two excellent qualities. As a result, the sound separation is good, and the quality of being able to hear even minute signals is born. The basic physical strength of the TA-DA9000ES is the large chassis and huge power supply.

So far, we have looked at the reasons why the sound improves when the amplifier is digitalized, in general terms. There are many more subtle benefits, but these are the big ones.

In other words, there is no thermal modulation and no crossover distortion. These are two things.

So, are there any drawbacks to digital amplifiers?

Actually, there are many drawbacks. If you look at them roughly,

• The circuit tends to be complicated
  • If you try to make it simple, it will be difficult to achieve good performance.
  • More susceptible to jitter than analog
  • If you use digital volume control, bits will drop and the sound will deteriorate.
  • Difficulty producing bass sounds
In addition, there are still many difficult points, such as the low-pass filter that handles power being still immature as a component and being relatively sensitive to vibration. But the big part is this.

Due to these various shortcomings, digital amplifiers have traditionally been said to be ``musically unsatisfactory compared to analogue amplifiers'' (as expressed by UK/Hi-Fi Choose magazine).

The S-Master and S-Master PRO methods address almost all of these shortcomings. Each of these is the superiority of S-Master and the difference from others. Let's take a look at that from the next page.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #13,136 of 15,987
About a month ago I recieved my WM1ZM2, imported via Buyee from Japan. Nerve-racking experience, but in the end it only took me about 2 weeks from buying it (from new) to holding it in my hand here in Denmark (EU).

I am very happy with it. Perfect match for my IEM-Z1R and MDR-Z1R. I have been using it with the IEMs 99% of the time so far since I have desktop headphone amp (McIntosh MHA-200) for the MDRs.

I started exploring options for how to keep the Walkman safe and place to store it when I am at home.

I got a clear-cover from Amazon (not in the photos) that I am very happy with and a screen protector.

I reached out to a VERY skilled guy and he made this customized DAP stander for me that I recieved today and I am over the moon with how great it looks. With hangers for the IEMs on the side (coated so they dont scratch) and a very cool solution for the cable on the back. The metal foot makes it very planted. Smells great too.

L1040147-v2.jpg

L1040161-v2.jpg

L1040152-v2.jpg
L1040150-v2.jpg

I am completely new to Android but I managed to install a different launcher that enbabled me to A) Simplify and Customize it. It feels far less like a phone-device to me now. B) Make it run a lot faster. I found the thread here on the forum on how to debloat the device and that helped a lot - using a simpler launcher helped even more.

I also managed to get UAPP working on my device which means I can bypass the Android limitations for streaming via Tidal by using that App. VERY happy that worked. The developers of UAPP were super friendly.

I have a 1TB SD-Card installed and I use that + 85% of the internal storage which means I do feel some lag when I start the Sony Music Player the first time because of the size of the library.

L1040158-v2.jpg

I like the aesthetics of the device and the IEMs - particularly combined. Regarding cable I swap between Z1R standard, FIOO LC-RE Pro and the upgraded Kimber Cable from Sony. I still trying out new Tips - lucklily my ears are a nice match for the Z1Rs, at least I dont have any pain for the usual 1-3 hour sessions.

With UAPP working I feel like this is just about a perfect match for my needs. I tried a few other DAPs and at the top-of-the-line units I have tested would all make me happy, but to me there is something about the Sony Sound and craftmanship that appeals to me.

L1040165-v2.jpg

Apologies if this is long, but I learned a lot from reading through these pages so I wanted to check in and present my take on the WM1ZM2.
Hello! I bought the WM1ZM2 also from Japan directly last year and am absolutely delighted with it, having had the earlier model. I have JHA13R2 Pro running balanced for a year plus and am extremely satisfied (though I would like to hear from anyone suggesting an even better IEM for jazz)...The WM1ZM2 sound is gorgeous especially on well recorded music. FYI I use the MITER cases (expensive, tight fit but classy) with mine - available on amazon, even with my previous WM1NW first gen model. Re. your 1TB card, what brand/class do you recommend as working well with your player as I have alas reached the limits of my SanDisk 400GB (600plus jazz and classical albums) and the card is playing up abit (refusing to let me add purchased tracks even though there seems to be space EXFAT). I guess I will need to reformat it. Thanks. N.

Oct 17, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #13,137 of 15,987
Hi, did you come to any conclusions as to what SD cards work well (I am less interested how they might sound but more on a 1 TB card working efficiently and durably (given that the advice here seems that fast read/writes are not THAT necessary) on my WM1ZM2 for a few years. Or would my current SanDisk Ultra A1 Micro XC I's version of 1TB be good enough v their Extreme version or are there recommended other ones ? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks! N

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #13,138 of 15,987
@ttt123, @Whitigir, @andrewski

I have gathered some data on Microsd Endurance figures, do note that these are just estimated values from the Manufacturers, actual real world TBW is dependent on operating temperatures and other variables.

Manufacturer Rated TBW for 128GB microsd cards(do take note that the MB/sec varies across vendors, but all based on sequential writes):

Sandisk High Endurance 117 TBW
Sandisk Max Endurance 702 TBW
Samsung Pro Endurance (2018) 512.4 TBW
Samsung Pro Endurance (2022) 819.9 TBW
Lexar High-Endurance 135 TBW
Kingston High-Endurance 117 TBW
ADATA High Endurance 234 TBW
Transcend High Endurance 350V 351 TBW
Kioxia Exceria High Endurance 189 TBW
Swissbit S55U 940 TBW
Micron I400 175 TBW
WD Industrial XI 384 TBW
Integral High Endurance 366 TBW
WD Purple 64 TBW
ADTEC Industrial(MLC) 313.6 TBW

Data sources:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_...bility_of_microsd_endurance_cards_compared_w/
Swissbit S55U Datasheet: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3714376.pdf
Micron I400: https://www.mouser.sg/new/micron-technology/micron-i400-microsd-cards/
WD Industrial XI: https://www.avnet.com/wps/wcm/conne...-US.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=mReoKQ5&CVID=mReoKQ5
integral: https://www.integralmemory.com/product/micro-sd-card-for-dash-cam-security-cam-high-endurance/
Wd purple: https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Purple-Surveillance-WDD0128G1P0C/dp/B088CD4Z1Z
ADTEC industrial: https://www.adtec.co.jp/file/industry/Datasheet_microSD_MLC.pdf

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #13,139 of 15,987
@ttt123, @Whitigir, @andrewski

I have gathered some data on Microsd Endurance figures, do note that these are just estimated values from the Manufacturers, actual real world TBW is dependent on operating temperatures and other variables.

Manufacturer Rated TBW for 128 GB micro cards(do take note that the MB/sec varies across vendors, but all based on sequential writes):

Sandisk High Endurance 117 TBW
Sandisk Max Endurance 702 TBW
Samsung Pro Endurance (2018) 512.4 TBW
Samsung Pro Endurance (2022) 819.9 TBW
Lexar High-Endurance 135 TBW
Kingston High-Endurance 117 TBW
ADATA High Endurance 234 TBW
Transcend High Endurance 350V 351 TBW
Kioxia Exceria High Endurance 189 TBW
Swissbit S55U 940 TBW
Micron I400 175 TBW

Data sources:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_...bility_of_microsd_endurance_cards_compared_w/
Swissbit S55U Datasheet (only available upon private request)
Micron I400: https://www.mouser.sg/new/micron-technology/micron-i400-microsd-cards/
Kioxia Exceria

This particular brand is owned by Toshiba right ? Or was ? I remember the time when I was looking for it back when I was building PC more often

Oct 17, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #13,140 of 15,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back