SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #13,189 of 15,987
Looks like your issue might be hardware related.

I would try connecting a usb dac(if you have one) or a usb-c thumb drive or usb-c hub to the Walkman. See if the Walkman is able to communicate with external devices.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #13,190 of 15,987
The battery doesn’t have to be fully charged then discharged for battery calibrations.

Battery calibrations is based on the remaining voltage from fully charged VS fully depleted, which is hard coded into the Battery management module. The player will have to realize the time used Vs the remaining battery voltage and calculate accordingly.

For all that is said, all you need to do is to really, always charge it up, and then let it deplete down to 30-40% approximately a few times. Restart it afterward to make sure it is calibrated correctly

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #13,191 of 15,987
@ttt123

I found some information related to this 8hour rule/myth. Looks like it maybe plausible? Anyway this extra step isn't of any big hassle, "just do as she says" and maybe I will sleep better. Battery Management Systems is yet another Pandora's box full of myths and mysteries.

https://clubsnap.com/threads/why-must-charge-battery-for-8-hrs.597460/
A Sulphate condition only applies to lead-acid batteries, and not to lithium-ion.

I don't see any reason for the 2 x 8 hour recommendation, though I do have a gut feel that the first charge should be to a full battery (longer than 1-2 hours), before using, if possible.

The user experience with charging for a longer period of time gives a more fully charged battery, is also my belief. I did not know if there was a reason to explain this, until I read this article on the charge stages of lithium-ion.

This article explains why a longer charge than 1-2 hours results in more energy from the battery.
The charge state may be to Stage 1, which shows is as "charged". But this is not a full saturation charge, so leaving it on charge for a longer period of time allows the "saturation" stage to be reached, when the charge current is at it's expected lowest level (3% of rated current), and the charging is only fully terminated at this stage.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-409-charging-lithium-ion

Some lower-cost consumer chargers may use the simplified “charge-and-run” method that charges a lithium-ion battery in one hour or less without going to the Stage 2 saturation charge. “Ready” appears when the battery reaches the voltage threshold at Stage 1. State-of-charge (SoC) at this point is about 85 percent, a level that may be sufficient for many users.

Certain industrial chargers set the charge voltage threshold lower on purpose to prolong battery life. Table 2 illustrates the estimated capacities when charged to different voltage thresholds with and without saturation charge. (See also BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries)
1697804741672.png

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #13,192 of 15,987
I think it maybe related to multi-cell batteries and ensuring that all of the battery cells are equally charged up to its actual full capacity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_balancing
Skizze_Balancer.png

I used to play RC cars, The charger used in rc car batteries are very sophisticated and cost a lot more than typical chargers. Example: https://www.amazon.sg/C240-Balance-Charger-Battery-Discharge/dp/B083TK8GV2

Once in a while I have to perform battery maintenance for multi cell lithium polymer batteries packs which involves running a special function on the charger called battery balancing where the charger will charge up the battery first then performs a full discharge for every cell in the battery, follow by a very slow charge up to full capacity for each cell. It’s like a very slow topping up of voltage. This process usually takes about 4 to 6 hours to complete depending on the age and capacity of the battery.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #13,194 of 15,987
Problem solved! I connected Walkman with original USB cable, and everything works perfect. I don understand why other cables, I tied 3 pieces, not works. Maybe Sony changed something in input plug? I dont understand why Sony is no writing in user manual, that unit will work only with original cable?

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #13,196 of 15,987
Problem solved! I connected Walkman with original USB cable, and everything works perfect. I don understand why other cables, I tied 3 pieces, not works. Maybe Sony changed something in input plug? I dont understand why Sony is no writing in user manual, that unit will work only with original cable?
It may be your cables that are non-compliant? USB C has many variations on how it can be implemented. The cables that come with chargers often state that they are for charging only, as they are not capable, or non-compliant for data transfer. Other cheap cables will work on some devices, and not on others. Old cables wired to older standards may also work inconsistently.
So it is worth getting newer cables, and just be aware that may need to try different cables. I remember similar issues before (not with USB C), and had to find a working cable. As with your situation, the frustration was in not understanding what was going on.

And it is likely that the Sony manual mentions something about using the original cable. Most manufacturers state that, as they cannot be sure what cables are in the marketplace.

https://www.delock.com/infothek/USB-3.2_USB-Type-C/usb-3.2-usb-type-c_e.html

1697870181715.png

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #13,197 of 15,987
It may be your cables that are non-compliant? USB C has many variations on how it can be implemented. The cables that come with chargers often state that they are for charging only, as they are not capable, or non-compliant for data transfer. Other cheap cables will work on some devices, and not on others. Old cables wired to older standards may also work inconsistently.
So it is worth getting newer cables, and just be aware that may need to try different cables. I remember similar issues before (not with USB C), and had to find a working cable. As with your situation, the frustration was in not understanding what was going on.

And it is likely that the Sony manual mentions something about using the original cable. Most manufacturers state that, as they cannot be sure what cables are in the marketplace.

https://www.delock.com/infothek/USB-3.2_USB-Type-C/usb-3.2-usb-type-c_e.html

1697870181715.png
Yes you are right! Only problem was that I contacted Sony US and Sony middle east, and they dont told me to use original cable! They suggested to use just other usb cable, and I used others 3 cables with no success. I dont used Sony cable because it is very short.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #13,198 of 15,987
@ttt123

You may find this article interesting. Tesla MCU suffered from increased premature failures due to increased in firmware size stored on its NAND. The data logging eventually wears out the nand chip due to insufficient free space for wear leveling.
https://insideevs.com/news/376037/tesla-mcu-emmc-memory-issue/

Maybe it is a good idea to keep some free space(10%) on our microsd cards/internal storage and don’t fill it to the brim(0% free).
Once happy with all meta data - Recommend Foobar2000 utilities to minimize file size by reducing padding. It saved a good deal of space on a 1tb SD collection and sped up album art loading and I know that the files are now in their most effient buffering order.

The only files that cannot be Foobar2000 are DSD .dsf files.

Of course it goes without saying... have a backup of music library as was ripped.

Only apply FB2000 utilities to the SD card library as you are reducing the space for metadata changes on each file.

You can make changes after but defeats the object.

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #13,199 of 15,987
Hello, community. I hope everyone is well. I just wanted to share something with you, just to serve as a warning. I had a real bad experience with a sony dap I bought last year a few days ago, so just as a warning to you, don't know if you're into sony daps. I purchased the nw-wm1zm2, brand new top of the line sony dap as soon as it came out last year. Spent a ton of money I don't have on accessories and headphone amp upgrades to it. About four days ago, suddenly, it refuses to stay on unless plugged in. On top of that, it starts getting extremely hot while being plugged in--like so hot you can cook on it. So I had it for 1.5 years, purchased on March 21, 2022 brand new. However, their warranty is only one year. I babied this thing, bought a gator pro $200 case just to store it among three other mite cases to carry it.

Anyway, I never dropped it even one time while I've had it. Only six months out of warranty, sony basically told me that I was on my own to fix it. And they only have one authorized service company that fixes them that actually bought the contract from sony to fix all their electronics. So if you're out of warranty you have to default to this company for any type of repairs. Sony then quickly discontinues the making of any of the components months after new devices come out and only offers it to this company, who has a track recording of ridiculously overcharging for labor and parts because consumers have no other options. It's totally unacceptable that a company as big as sony would do something like this and pass on this excessive cost to often loyal customers. Just a warning for future reference.
Yes. It was a company famed for spares and care for at least 5 years post production. I work in broadcasting and their gear was often standard. But as I've detailed here with the issues I have with their low 60hz refresh screens - going as far as being in direct contact with WMs Mr Sato - there is a cut and run philosophy probably now endemic in all electronic manufacturing bar esoteric priced boutique makers.

But the WM1z are in that category for my money - and given the history should be a point of company pride fix.

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #13,200 of 15,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back