Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 10, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,387 of 2,411
Jul 10, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,389 of 2,411
To be honest, i never understood why people use the digital output of an DAP and connect it to an amp. There is no sound difference to an smartphone so... you could just use an smartphone.
To avoid draining the battery of the phone playing music. To keep things seperated. To gain more storage than what the phone might support. And probably many more reasons.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #2,391 of 2,411
Hey folks! Long time no post.

I’m hoping to see if someone has any suggestions with my A55 troubles.

The audio jack is loose and can only allow me to listen to music for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time before the audio begins “stuttering” (just like how a CD player would back in the day). I’m not sure what to do - is there a way to fix/replace the jack, or a professional I can bring it to? Or do you think it could be another software/hardware problem? I have MrWalkman’s glorious firmware installed but if I recall correctly, this problem was happening well before I installed.

Worst comes to worst, I’ll buy another one, but I have the A55L (the gold one) and I can’t seem to find it anywhere that ships to the US. I got mine from AccessoryJack but they no longer sell it.

Anything would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hey hey! Just wanted to re-post this in case anyone has suggestions on what to do or where to go to fix this? Someone mentioned possibly sending it to the UK but that shipping is gonna be expensive.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,392 of 2,411
Hey folks! Long time no post.

I’m hoping to see if someone has any suggestions with my A55 troubles.

The audio jack is loose and can only allow me to listen to music for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time before the audio begins “stuttering” (just like how a CD player would back in the day). I’m not sure what to do - is there a way to fix/replace the jack, or a professional I can bring it to? Or do you think it could be another software/hardware problem? I have MrWalkman’s glorious firmware installed but if I recall correctly, this problem was happening well before I installed.

Worst comes to worst, I’ll buy another one, but I have the A55L (the gold one) and I can’t seem to find it anywhere that ships to the US. I got mine from AccessoryJack but they no longer sell it.

Anything would be appreciated. Thank you!

I have an update - unfortunately I had decided to purchase a new unit from Japan, via Bay. This is my first Japanese-direct unit. I immediately installed Walkman One firmware (of course)!

But, I was randomly browsing this thread and another one here and on Reddit, and I came across at least one other person who said their music would be stuttering while in BT receiver mode. I panicked for a second and thought, "did I just waste my money on a unit I didn't even need??!" but then I also couldn't remember if I had this problem while listening to music directly from the A55 as well. I may have indeed purchased a unit without actually needing it, but I don't wanna go through the hassle of returning it. Also, I was surprised to see that I got a pair of the NW500N earbuds in my package as well, so I'll take it as a financial loss and keep these lol. I might use the old one as a dedicated DAC for my laptop.

Now, I have a new problem! I CANNOT connect my iPhone and A55 to each other for BT mode on the new device. Neither device pops up on each other's respective lists, even after restarting them both. Any tips?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2,394 of 2,411
If the sony is set to LDAC, the Apple won’t see it (IIRC) Check the settings - start with the lowest common denominator (SBC) and move up from there
Thank you so much!

I realized what I was doing wrong. I was trying to add the iPhone from the A55 in this way:

Settings > Bluetooth > Connect to/Add Audio Device > On > Add Device (Pairing)

This was not working.

Then, when I was looking for something in the Home Screen, I saw the Bluetooth Receiver button at the very top next to the DAC button. I tapped it and it asked if I wanted to turn on Bluetooth Receiver. This was odd because this is how I would always connect to my iPhone anyway, but I didn't remember this lol.

So, when I tapped Turn on Bluetooth Receiver, I saw at the bottom that there was an "Add Device (Pairing)" button as well. I tapped the button and went into my iPhone's Bluetooth menu.

There was the A55!!! Problem is solved.

WilcoRoger, while all this happened, I do believe I started either with SBC or Apt when this happened and then switched to LDAC. Thank you again!

Hopefully this post helps someone in the future.

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #2,395 of 2,411
I was under the impression that the NW-A55 could support a 1.5tb microsd card. Saw it reported somewhere on either headfi or a review site. Sadly, I've discovered today after formatting my 1.5tb microsd that it reduced the capacity down to 30 or so mb, likely due to an incompatibility. Sure enough, I saw on the Sony site that it only supports up to 1tb. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a 1.5tb card to work/bypass Sony's formatting process? Love how it sounds after getting the firmware installed, but 1.5 tb compatibilty was a huge selling point for me since I have a big library.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,397 of 2,411
ahh, looking through this thread - this post among others on in previous thread pages gave me that impression. Hoping there's a workaround though!
I’ll try to put one of my 1,5TB cards in my A55 tomorrow and see what happens. I use the WalkmanOne modded fw though

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #2,398 of 2,411
I was under the impression that the NW-A55 could support a 1.5tb microsd card. Saw it reported somewhere on either headfi or a review site. Sadly, I've discovered today after formatting my 1.5tb microsd that it reduced the capacity down to 30 or so mb, likely due to an incompatibility. Sure enough, I saw on the Sony site that it only supports up to 1tb. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a 1.5tb card to work/bypass Sony's formatting process? Love how it sounds after getting the firmware installed, but 1.5 tb compatibilty was a huge selling point for me since I have a big library.

I never tried this with a high capacity card, but I think you can also format on your computer with the appropriate file system (I think exFAT but don't quote me on that), create a folder in the root directory labeled "Music" and add some test tracks that way (to check that it works before transferring your library-also to the Music directory).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #2,399 of 2,411
I never tried this with a high capacity card, but I think you can also format on your computer with the appropriate file system (I think exFAT but don't quote me on that), create a folder in the root directory labeled "Music" and add some test tracks that way (to check that it works before transferring your library-also to the Music directory).
Yes exFat and formatted on the computer works fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back