Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #766 of 2,411
Question - what music management app do you use on your Macs? I installed the free version VOX - looks cute but apparently I can’t burn CDs and I think I’m very limited since I just have the free version. I also downloaded VLC but... ehh.

I don't use mac but I think JRiver is popular? There is also a program called Dapper I have seen people recommend for organizing tags and playlists for DAPs. If you want to get technical about cd ripping/burning & file formats try searching around HydrogenAudio.

But, I digress. What should I do to make sure I have gotten as much quality ripped from my CDs? What format is the best overal for my needs? Is it FLAC since I want to save space but also maintain hi res sound? Should I purchase the full version of Audirvana?

Super important question also - can someone also explain what and how Sony’s DAP categorizes hi res audio? What is it about the file that makes it so? What are the musics’ “numbers” that determine it’s hi res-iness? Lol

*edit i made redundant answer oops.

The Walkman effect called DSEE HX is actually a built in upsampler, which some people like but YMMV (even with actual hi res personally I can't even reliably tell the difference in blind test between CDQ and 320 mp3, though I try to get music in at least CDQ just for peace of mind.)

My follow up question is - was it a waste of time and space that I originally encoded my CDs in 48kHz? I think they’re all 16 bit.

Well by the time I wrote above I guess you already figured it out lol.

FYI, I don’t stream but if I do eventually want to stream, what apps should I download to also access my full library and maintain quality? I understand that I’ll most likely have to use the A55 as a DAC for my iPhone

Thank you for your patience and understanding that I may have a bunch of redundant questions and thank you all so much again for any input. It’s much appreciated!!!

- Mesha

Not sure what you're asking for there... If you have a massive collection that wont fit on sd cards sounds like you might want to look into setting up a personal media streaming server? Something like plex or a DIY project maybe?

If you just mean subscription music services there are seceral w cdq and hi res options (amazon hd, qobuzz, tidal hifi etc...) but possibly wont be able to find your whole collection. (Theres also Roon which is a whole weird thing which can collate your personal media servers and Tidal subscription into a single interface but im note quite sure how it works).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #768 of 2,411
Can't help you with the Mac questions coz I never like them, but as far as file formats go anything lossless will be fine, so either alac or flac is a viable option. HI-res is anything that is 24-bit, so none of your CDs will show as hi-res unless you encode them this way (they will have zero audio improvements but will take up a lot more space) as all CDs are 16-bit.

As far as BT streaming goes, all that matters is the bluetooth codec used, not the app you use. Ultimately, you should use LDAC but apple like to use inferior formats and not pay licensing fees, so you're out of luck and stuck with SBC. Otherwise, you must use a lighting adapter and connect the walkman directly to your iphone as a DAC

Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful!

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #769 of 2,411
Well, kinda coz standard CD quality is 16-bit/44.1kHz. So you're just waiting some space, but it's not that big of a deal or waste, it's not like you went for 24-bit/192khz or something ridiculous.

Got it!

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #770 of 2,411
I don't use mac but I think JRiver is popular? There is also a program called Dapper I have seen people recommend for organizing tags and playlists for DAPs. If you want to get technical about cd ripping/burning & file formats try searching around HydrogenAudio.

*edit i made redundant answer oops.

The Walkman effect called DSEE HX is actually a built in upsampler, which some people like but YMMV (even with actual hi res personally I can't even reliably tell the difference in blind test between CDQ and 320 mp3, though I try to get music in at least CDQ just for peace of mind.)

Well by the time I wrote above I guess you already figured it out lol.

Not sure what you're asking for there... If you have a massive collection that wont fit on sd cards sounds like you might want to look into setting up a personal media streaming server? Something like plex or a DIY project maybe?

If you just mean subscription music services there are seceral w cdq and hi res options (amazon hd, qobuzz, tidal hifi etc...) but possibly wont be able to find your whole collection. (Theres also Roon which is a whole weird thing which can collate your personal media servers and Tidal subscription into a single interface but im note quite sure how it works).

I discovered Roon a few days ago and it has absolutely EVERYTHING I've been looking for - except CD ripping, and that sucker Roon is $120 a year and I can't afford to purchase that after my 14 day free trial ends in a week.... *deep sigh*

And yes, I was (unknowingly) referring to a personal media server, but I think Roon also serves this purpose.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #771 of 2,411
It's finally available in Canada eh!! How long ago was the A55 released anyways? Time to replace my A45..

I agree, it started to feel like Sony forgot that Canada existed. I got tired of waiting for the A55 and went through a Shanling M0 (to small, sold it), Fiio M7 (audio glitch, stopped using, selling it) and now living with a Fiio M9 which sounds great. If it wasn't for Sony holding back the A55 I would be listening to it right now instead of the M9. Probably still 1 to 3 months before you can buy one though. The other question is how many dealers will carry it? Sony DAP's have become pretty scarce here in the last few years.

The A105 is way to expensive and Sony has seriously chopped the battery life in favor of Android. The A55 looks like the only Sony DAP I would consider right now so I hope I can demo one in the next couple of months.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #773 of 2,411
I agree, it started to feel like Sony forgot that Canada existed. I got tired of waiting for the A55 and went through a Shanling M0 (to small, sold it), Fiio M7 (audio glitch, stopped using, selling it) and now living with a Fiio M9 which sounds great. If it wasn't for Sony holding back the A55 I would be listening to it right now instead of the M9. Probably still 1 to 3 months before you can buy one though. The other question is how many dealers will carry it? Sony DAP's have become pretty scarce here in the last few years.

The A105 is way to expensive and Sony has seriously chopped the battery life in favor of Android. The A55 looks like the only Sony DAP I would consider right now so I hope I can demo one in the next couple of months.

I knew the A55 was out there but not in Canada. I currently have had the A45 for the last 3 years so I was hoping the A55 would come to Canada but wasn't sure if it ever would. So now that it is available I think I'd like to replace my A45 with it. I'm not worried about demoing one since it's likely much the same as the A45 and the reviews I've read are good. I've actually only seen it on the Sony Canada website and on Amazon.ca. It's really the only DAP that appeals to me because of it's long battery life and good sound and nice stable firmware.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #775 of 2,411
I fell to temptation. I couldn't wait any longer for the A55 to be available in the US. I went ahead and got the A105 on Amazon since it was available for purchase from a retailer. I know the battery life is going to be crap, but I didn't want to pass up on having the Primephonic app with Sony tech. I should arrive Tuesday next week.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #776 of 2,411
It's not even funny how much better the hardware and software is on the Sony NW-A50 compared to Shanling and FiiO DAPS I have.

Have you demoed the Fiio M9? That is what I will be measuring the A55 against. The only thing that the A55 has over it spec wise is the battery life. Until I can demo one I will hold judgement on which is better. I have demoed the A35 and A45 and would take the M9 over both for sound quality so I hope the A55 is a step up. My only fear with the A55 is will it have enough power for my headphones? The M9 has solid dynamics and some energy and bite to its sound and benefits alot from the extra power on hand. Something I doubt the A55 can beat with its weak power output and I found the A35 and A45 a little lifeless by comparison.

The A55 is a consideration for me with a price close to the M9. I travel alot and would love the long battery life of the A55 and I don't use wifi or balanced on the M9. I would trade both features for the better battery life of the A55 if the power is enough and the sound is in the same ballpark. I Would not be thrilled about going back to the ruddy WMPort for sure so that is a negative. Only a demo of the A55 will get me to consider it as I will not buy it without a demo so hopefully some locally dealers pick it up.

As for Sony having better hardware Fiio is open about the hardware they use while Sony is pretty locked down on their hardware so not fare to say it is better internally. Just because Sony designs it's own doesn't mean it is better by default.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #777 of 2,411
I use my A55 for travelling (which I do at for work). I used the software hack to remove the 85dB volume cap by changing the region. I am generally running either a pair of TinHifi T2s for gym and walking and my WH-100XM3s over LDAC when I am on planes. Its paired with 250Gb Sandisk microSD card, which has my entire CD collection ripped to FLAC. and I am a happy bunny. Add my Kindle Paperwhite and I have enough to keep me entertained for the longest of hauls.

Battery life was one of my must haves when I looked at DAPs. The M9 was on my short list but less than 9 hours battery life was not going to cut it for me and as the SQ was much of a muchness on both DAPs (with my headphones). I am happy with my choice, for my needs.

I still get asked 'what is that?' when people see my A55. When you tell them it is a walkman they look at me like I am mad.

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #779 of 2,411
Question! Does Clear Audio+, DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, VPT (Surround), Dynamic Normalizer.. blah blah blah work when in Bluetooth mode? I feel like I remember reading it does not but I can’t find anything.

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #780 of 2,411
Question! Does Clear Audio+, DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, VPT (Surround), Dynamic Normalizer.. blah blah blah work when in Bluetooth mode? I feel like I remember reading it does not but I can’t find anything.
yeah it worked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back