Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 19, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #736 of 2,411
Thank God, Media Go has been super reliable for years and it's the fastest music UI I've ever used. It's quite ridiculous how big of a downgrade Music Center is. 8 hours is pretty awful, especially since I would be using the Wifi features for said streaming apps in additon to the onbaord music will have. What Youtuber was it by the way? Super Reviews? Coolaid710? Techmoan?

Yeah, it's really sad what Sony gives us with that Music Center. Quite a downgrade, as you said...

The YouTuber I was referring to is named Damir Franc (previously The Nitpicker ... pre-previously Damir Franc^^). He's German and his newer reviews afe in German only. He is super honest and a very reliable source.:thumbsup:

SuperReview is good, too. Seems unbiased, too.

@ColdsnapBry

Media Go was Sonys previous madia managing program, quite similar to iTunes. It is discontinued and got replaced by Music Center for PC. A typical Sony move. Get rid of something good - give birth to a crippled successor that crashes and has limited abilities...
No hate, but it's just sooo Sony...:rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #739 of 2,411
You can Drag and drop like normal, but I love MediaGo as a general application for music categorizing and it's built in capability with Sony products.

Any decent alternatives for Mac users? Since getting the A55, I’ve started to download in FLAC but... VOX and VLC just don’t grab me. I’m so used to iTunes :/

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #742 of 2,411
Is there a way to change the language on my Japan NW-A55? Arrived today but just sort of stumbling through the menues to see how I can change language.
There is a tool that can change the region, and language on many Sony daps, hopefully someone on here can confirm it will work on the A50. Mostly Sony's Japan region daps don't have english. I was in Japan on holiday and before finding out about the region change tool, ordered one from Accessory Jack and had it sent to me in Japan.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #743 of 2,411
There is a tool that can change the region, and language on many Sony daps, hopefully someone on here can confirm it will work on the A50. Mostly Sony's Japan region daps don't have english. I was in Japan on holiday and before finding out about the region change tool, ordered one from Accessory Jack and had it sent to me in Japan.

I couldn't get the region change tool to recognize my A55. Maybe someone here who has had success with it can chime in.

Dag, I should have researched that LOL Oh well it was $120 from Japan and I spent a couple minutes translating the menus so I'm pretty sure I got what I need to function it :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #744 of 2,411
I couldn't get the region change tool to recognize my A55. Maybe someone here who has had success with it can chime in.

Dag, I should have researched that LOL Oh well it was $120 from Japan and I spent a couple minutes translating the menus so I'm pretty sure I got what I need to function it :)
That is odd actially the NWDestTool recognized my euro walkman with no issues, you need to use a windows pc, them sownliad the two programs, one ending in .bat and the .exe both muat be in the same download directory, otherwise it wont work

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #745 of 2,411
That is odd actially the NWDestTool recognized my euro walkman with no issues, you need to use a windows pc, them sownliad the two programs, one ending in .bat and the .exe both muat be in the same download directory, otherwise it wont work

Ah, interesting.. Mine is the Japan version DW-A55 running the 1.02 firmware..

I get this error when following the instructions. It doesn't recognize my device. Which is weird because the process / instructions are fairly simple, so I thought it would be easy to do. Maybe I'll try another computer..

aZJbBv9.png

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #746 of 2,411
Hhhhmmm, that's strange!
As far as we know the tool works with the Japanese a50, too...

I used version 23 of the tool on Windows 7 64 bit. Haven't used the tool since I'm on Windows 10 64bit now...

If you're on Win10 you could try running the tool in compatibility mode set to Win7. And run it as admin. Meybe that helps...

How about the OS... Does it recognize your a50?

Maybe deinstall a50s drivers an reinstall them...:thinking:

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #747 of 2,411
Hhhhmmm, that's strange!
As far as we know the tool works with the Japanese a50, too...

I used version 23 of the tool on Windows 7 64 bit. Haven't used the tool since I'm on Windows 10 64bit now...

If you're on Win10 you could try running the tool in compatibility mode set to Win7. And run it as admin. Meybe that helps...

How about the OS... Does it recognize your a50?

Maybe deinstall a50s drivers an reinstall them...:thinking:

Do you happen to still have the v23? Maybe there's a bug in v24.. I tried the compatibility thing. Good thinking, but no luck. I'm on Windows 10 64bit.

My PC recognizes the NW-A55 just fine and allocates it the drive D where I have been dragging and dropping music into just fine..

Here's the link if anyone wants to see if they can get v24 to recognize your device:
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

You don't have to make any changes, just run the first command in the guide to see if it recognizes it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #748 of 2,411
Could it be windows 10 causing problems with drivers of the tool? I think I had issues with adb drivers when trying to get a custom rom on my tablet, I heard windows 10 has a safety feature where it rejects the installation of drivers - I had to deactivate antivirus to install from memory. Just a thought.

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #749 of 2,411
Could it be windows 10 causing problems with drivers of the tool? I think I had issues with adb drivers when trying to get a custom rom on my tablet, I heard windows 10 has a safety feature where it rejects the installation of drivers - I had to deactivate antivirus to install from memory. Just a thought.

Hmm, the tool runs from just an un-installed .exe. I can try to run it will any sort of virus protection off..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back