Sony NW-A50 Series
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #511 of 2,409
There's a bunch of new USB-C Sony MP3 players announced. Does anyone know if the A55 will become USB-C?

No usb-c, the same player as last year's a55 but with no FM tuner.

*edit* Nope, phone is same as A50, won't radio w/o headphones plugged in & bluetooth disables FM radio :frowning2:

Yes I believe the headphones act as an antenna for the radio. I would imagine the FM chip might still be installed, just the firmware/OS is modified to remove the FM tuner function.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #512 of 2,409

Yes I believe the headphones act as an antenna for the radio. I would imagine the FM chip might still be installed, just the firmware/OS is modified to remove the FM tuner function.
If that is the case I wonder if it will be still possible to enable by changing the destination code as it was possible to add the line-in recording option and the remote control option on the other nw-a models. If it is an Eu regulation issue it might just be as simple a choosing another region through the rockbox utility similarly to removing the volume cap.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #513 of 2,409

What about the Sony NW-A100 series?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Nw-A105-Portable-S-Master-Bluetooth-Black/dp/B07X51FTK9

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a100-series

fdMAJhh.png

b8sLhiV.png

YgPD8zV.png

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #518 of 2,409
Is it worth the wait for the A55L or should I just buy the A45? Again, what about gapless playback with mp3? I really hope it goes without any problem with lossless formats tho

In my case it is not a seamless or truly gapless playback. It's close, but there is a small gap for a split second. Pity! :-\

Hope it helps...

Oct 2, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #520 of 2,409
What.. Do you guys know about a gapless mp3 player? Gonna cancel my pre-order now. Thanks...
It's a very faint transition, the type of blink it and you'll miss it, which IMO is probably as good as you'll get from a portable DAP as truly gapless mp3 playback is not something that many manufacturers will jump through hoops to achieve since it's 2019 and everyone listens to lossless formats. Who needs gapless mp3 anyway, if you have mp3 live recordings or something you need to be gapless just spend a few minutes and convert them in flac.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #521 of 2,409
It's a very faint transition, the type of blink it and you'll miss it, which IMO is probably as good as you'll get from a portable DAP as truly gapless mp3 playback is not something that many manufacturers will jump through hoops to achieve since it's 2019 and everyone listens to lossless formats. Who needs gapless mp3 anyway, if you have mp3 live recordings or something you need to be gapless just spend a few minutes and convert them in flac.
Well depends. I have a huge collection and ton have more storage space I ripped everything into mp3. Converting them into flac doesn't make sense since I'll lose a bit of quality and ripping again everything will be too much of a task. It baffles me the opposite. Mp3 is still widely used, and foobar on pc or Poweramp on Android Plays everything flawlessly. And I don't get why is it to hard to implement it in any other dap. Sadly Android daps are too expansive for me and I prefer not to use a phone as music player. I might be alone in this but whatever... I already own a shanling M0 and I get a 35ms gap between tracks. I can hear it and it's bad. I guess I'll never find a player with such basic feature :/

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #522 of 2,409
Well depends. I have a huge collection and ton have more storage space I ripped everything into mp3. Converting them into flac doesn't make sense since I'll lose a bit of quality and ripping again everything will be too much of a task. It baffles me the opposite. Mp3 is still widely used, and foobar on pc or Poweramp on Android Plays everything flawlessly. And I don't get why is it to hard to implement it in any other dap. Sadly Android daps are too expansive for me and I prefer not to use a phone as music player. I might be alone in this but whatever... I already own a shanling M0 and I get a 35ms gap between tracks. I can hear it and it's bad. I guess I'll never find a player with such basic feature :/
Oh, snap, it actually does. I just listened to Ian Gillan Contractual Obligations #2 Live in mp3 and had absolutely no gaps throughout. I guess what we here as faint gap on some albums is down to how wither the separate songs were cut or the mp3 files were created, so sony's firmware is apparently capable of mp3 gapless

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #523 of 2,409
Oh, snap, it actually does. I just listened to Ian Gillan Contractual Obligations #2 Live in mp3 and had absolutely no gaps throughout. I guess what we here as faint gap on some albums is down to how wither the separate songs were cut or the mp3 files were created, so sony's firmware is apparently capable of mp3 gapless
You give me hope. I'll wait the release date at the end of November. If it's not as I want it will be easy getting a refund with Amazon.

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #524 of 2,409
You give me hope. I'll wait the release date at the end of November. If it's not as I want it will be easy getting a refund with Amazon.
Well, I can't guarantee that you particular mp3 files will be completely gapless but apparently it is possible. My guess is that there isn't an actual gap between the playback of the files but if the song itself has a fraction of silence in the beginning it won't be cut automatically, while some windows players for instance might detect silence and trim it. And that's why listening to a live concert where the files were created properly and nothing was cut from (on certain live albums the audience cheering can be cut off at some point in the end of the track which creates a weird traansition with the next song) have no silence and transition seamlessly

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #525 of 2,409
What about the Sony NW-A100 series?

b8sLhiV.png

Love the transition to USB-C ... but, how do I connect an NW-A100 to my Sony PHA3 DAC/amp? Will I have to find a USB-C to USB micro cable? What happens if the micro connector doesn't have the little nub (i.e. will the PHA3 still recognize the input as a Walkman)?

Screenshot 2019-10-02 07.52.47.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back