Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,561 of 1,999
Hello

I just wondering if my sony nwa45 is broken in that when in dac mode sounds a bit different, less harsh highs and less bass (more natural)
anyone has found this difference?

Really, in dac mode sounds fantastic!... while in normal mode sounds like a bit more metallic and i have to decrease de volume, i can't keep listening for a long period
(by the way i have all filters to off and disabled eq)

Thanks

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #1,563 of 1,999
I grabbed one of these units during Amzn UK's £70+ warehouse sale in early March. With the exchange rate/shipping/duties it was a huge discount compared to Amzn Canada's price. It was only after that I read about the EU volume limit and the Rockbox fix.

I received the player almost a month ago and found it to be loud enough for me. Yesterday, because I had some free time.... I decided to download the scsitool and remove the limit.

Turns out the previous owner had already done it!

May 2, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,566 of 1,999
Hi can you tell if its already been done?Im having real problems getting the tool to work on my MW A45 as I have written in my recent posts on here.Thanks.
Greetings, I saw your post and I do t know how to tell whether the limiter is on or off with mine. Just bought it 4 days ago and was somewhat leery of the 35mw/channel. But using with my dune dk2001’ I can safely state that I haven’t had Any issues achieving more than enough volume. Been listening at no more than 48 and occasionally nearer to 58. Beautiful match and exceptional sound. If you can find a way to determine how to find out without having to do the download, that would be great. Enjoy!
Cheers

May 20, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,567 of 1,999
Yep, at least go back to a single press to turn on. Takes like 3 seconds of hold. A bit shorter to turn off but then it asks you to confirm and tap the screen. Holding power down for 2 seconds has been the global shutting off method for years now so just shut down w/o asking as nobody holds a power button down that doesn't want to shut down.

As for the power Sony really overrate it. Really wanted the A15 to be a good bit more than the old Sony 5mw per but it really wasn't. Now with the A45 my Cowon is a more legit measured 19mw per and is what the Sony is. About 20mw. I think they measure based on the output with all the EQ sliders maxed out how loud it can be but it is not based on the flat sound. Would expect 35mw and 19mw to not both need 3/4 volume to drive the same earphone. Of course it is obvious compared to my old 5mw MD player that they do not measure the output the same way they used to.

Another wish is stop trying to be cute. Not the best screen so stop with the little switches to turn things on and off. I tap an icon on my Cowon to mute the radio and the A45 has on little on/off slider switch to do the same thing that is small and doesn't register that easy. Just tap and change the icon for the on off settings.

of course bring back the podcasts and no reason not to drop FF/RW changing the radio presets like they used to in so many Sony models.

Still a nice player I like but there is room to grow and certainly to just make things easier to use like in the old days. I have a folder + folder - button on my MD remote pod that is bigger than the three play/RR/FF buttons put together on the side of the A45 and of course the A45 doesn't even have folder skip anymore like MD or my other Walkman players.

A way to go before perfect but a lot of my little niggles can be solved if they went back to basics and stopped overthinking some things.

Could FM Radio stations be changed using side buttons of A45 like it could be done with A25 models?

May 20, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,568 of 1,999
Hi everyone. Sony A25 user here checking A45 features. My only interest in DAPs is FM Radio. Could anyone suggest a great DAP with FM Radio that allows side buttons to change FM stations while the user is running/walking without using screen?

May 20, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,569 of 1,999
Technically, FM over BT is also possible since FM tuner chips output PCM data. My Asus Zenfone 3 will route FM to my BT speakers from headphones if I connect the BT speaker after starting the FM app with headphones plugged in. I am listening right now:grin: But, my zenfone won't support EQ over BT. If I install LineageOS then both would be possible.

If you wan't either of these feature, you could pick up a old android smartphone and install LineageOS.

Hi. Just what I have been looking for. Could you think of any DAP or Android/iOS phone that can receive FM using earphones but play out over Bluetooth on external speakers?

May 21, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,570 of 1,999
Hi. Just what I have been looking for. Could you think of any DAP or Android/iOS phone that can receive FM using earphones but play out over Bluetooth on external speakers?
As I said, the Asus Zenfone 3 is doing it. If you have an Android phone, you can try it.

• Connect any wired headphone to your smartphone and start the FM radio.
  • Connect Bluetooth headphone/speaker to smartphone.
  • The FM audio should be routed to your Bluetooth device.
If it doesn't, then it means that your audio routing rules have not been setup to handle that case. Unfortunately, changing the routing rules is complicated and requires root access to the smartphone.

P.S. I just tried it again. To my amazement, I can also tune the stations from my Bluetooth headphone :sunglasses:

P.S.2 If your smartphone doesn't support this method, you could buy a BT transmitter and connect it to your FM radio.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,571 of 1,999
As I said, the Asus Zenfone 3 is doing it. If you have an Android phone, you can try it.

• Connect any wired headphone to your smartphone and start the FM radio.
  • Connect Bluetooth headphone/speaker to smartphone.
  • The FM audio should be routed to your Bluetooth device.
If it doesn't, then it means that your audio routing rules have not been setup to handle that case. Unfortunately, changing the routing rules is complicated and requires root access to the smartphone.

P.S. I just tried it again. To my amazement, I can also tune the stations from my Bluetooth headphone :sunglasses:

P.S.2 If your smartphone doesn't support this method, you could buy a BT transmitter and connect it to your FM radio.

Wow! Thank you very much! Very helpful.

May 24, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,572 of 1,999
Hello ..

i owned A45 for almost 2 years now, butI use it mostly for travelling and its my primary portable DAP :wink:
so recently I just purchased one mqa album from highresaudio,com (mother from in this moment)

i store all purchased songs (from itunes, hdtracks, highresaudiom nuclearblast ~ when they were still selling flac files) in my laptop ..

and when I connect my A45 to my laptop, fire up sony music center, play the some audio files, there are some weird infos displayed on my A45 :
1. the file is flac 24 bit 44 kHz, purchased from nuclearblast.com couple years back, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 176 kHz
2. the file is flac 24 bit 96 kHz, again purchased from nuclearblast.com couple years back, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 96 kHz
3. the file is mqa 24 bit 48 kHz, purchased from highresaudio.com 2 days ago, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 192 kHz
4. the file is mqa 24 bit 44 kHz, purchased from highresaudio.com in 2019, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 176 kHz
5. the file is m4a 16 bit 44 kHz, purchased from itunes in 2019, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 176 kHz
6. the file is mp3 16 bit 44 kHz, purchased from registered service in indonesia in 2019, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 176 kHz
7. the file is wav 24 bit 48 kHz, converted from physical cassette into digital file, output set to wasapi sony, A45 shows PCM 192 kHz

anyone can tell me which audio file that is read exactly from the metadata?
or my NW-A45 is doing upsampling from audio file's metadata if it below 176 kHz??

thank you for the answer

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,573 of 1,999
Hi all!
Please I hope any expert could help me.
In the past I used a Fiio L50 cable (wm-port to 3.5mm) to connect my old NWZA-15 to an external car AUX
But this same cable doesnt work with NWA45. Is this normal?
however a BCR-NWU7 dock, works both with NWZA-15 and NWA45.

There is a similar cable (as Fiio L50) for NWA45?
Thanks in advance!!

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #1,575 of 1,999
How's the two official cases for the NW-A45/55? The folding one and the rubber one. Worth the $50 or so it will cost to get them over to me? The bottom of my 55 is getting a bitch scratched and I want to preserve it as I really like this DAP.
They're expensive and overpriced. But, they are much better than the aftermarket knockoff crap... The OEMs fit better and last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back