Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,366 of 1,999
I already understood that playing high-res files or changing the way I use the DAP only affects the usage of the battery and not the lifespan of it, it's just the fact that nothing has changed that's confusing me. Perhaps I could have a gotten a defective, but hopefully that's not the case. Sorry if I wasn't very clear.

Ahh, sorry. I couldn't decide whether you had misunderstood me or if you were just trying to tell me that nothing had changed recently. I took the first case just in case. Hope it didn't sound like I was talking down to you or anything. I know that forums often have language barriers and simple misunderstandings that come from missing context and vocal cues.

As to your issue, I'm not sure what else could be a reason for a sudden decrease in battery capacity.

Recent replies do touch on a bit of a sore point for me. If you DO use the hi-res codecs that you bought the damn thing for, the NW-A45 battery life is pathetic. Honestly, they should have made it twice the volume and doubled the battery size. I would rather it was a bit bigger and heavier, anyway.

Still sounds good, but I have to find a very specific usage case to choose this over my Note9 when they both do LDAC and I can use an equaliser with LDAC on the Note9 via Viper or Dolby Atmos.

Yeah, it's pretty infuriating that they sell you a Hi-Res player with "great battery life", but they calculate the battery life playing 16/44.1k or 16/48k AAC files, which are not anything I would call "Hi-Res". Sadly, a goodly portion of my music collection is iTunes AAC files because it is otherwise extremely hard (if not impossible) to get Hi-Res versions of Japanese music when you live in the USA (I have to use a Japanese iTunes account and order Japanese iTunes gift cards).

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #1,367 of 1,999
it is otherwise extremely hard (if not impossible) to get Hi-Res versions of Japanese music when you live in the USA

Haha, finally someone else said it, I totally understand what you mean.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,369 of 1,999
is sony a45 comparable to similar price chi-fi daps or even better?
also can it drive 64ohms iems?
thinking of buying one.. tired of so many disappointed daps recently bought..
I'm not sure about the impedance thing but I'm pretty sure it can. About the Chi-fi daps, it depends on where your buying it. Stateside, it costs around 220 USD and for that kinda money you could buy the FiiO M7 which is a bit better. In Asia, though, it costs about 150 USD and it is better than its competitors at that price like the AP80 and the M0

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,370 of 1,999
I have a NW-45. I usually use it via Bluetooth. I got curious and bought a set of the IER-NW500N/NE headphones. Score! So that’s what the ClearAudio+ is for :) Big sound. The Noise Cancelling and Ambient Mode work quite well. A very good sounding and versatile set of earbuds I would buy again. Does anyone have any experience with the MDR-NW750N/NE? They seem an older set.
D'you know if stuff like Noise Cancelation and Ambient Mode work with other Sony headphones that have these features (like the WH-1000XM3s)? Asking so I won't have to dig my phone out and go into the app to change these features if it can all be done on the DAP

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #1,371 of 1,999
Not that I am aware of. There is a dropdown menu for choice of headphones. You have a choice between two obscure sony headphones and Other Headphones. If you have Sony WH-100XM3 headphones, they have better noise cancelling. The IER-NW500N/NE have built in microphones and are just for use with NW-45 and perhaps other Sony DAPS. I found them to be useless with other devices.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,372 of 1,999
Not that I am aware of. There is a dropdown menu for choice of headphones. You have a choice between two obscure sony headphones and Other Headphones. If you have Sony WH-100XM3 headphones, they have better noise cancelling. The IER-NW500N/NE have built in microphones and are just for use with NW-45 and perhaps other Sony DAPS. I found them to be useless with other devices.
Thanks

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #1,374 of 1,999
is sony a45 comparable to similar price chi-fi daps or even better?
also can it drive 64ohms iems?
thinking of buying one.. tired of so many disappointed daps recently bought..
No. It can't drive high impedance cans with sufficient power. The max voltage goes up to 0.7 V only which is sufficient for normal listening but not enough head room

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,375 of 1,999
Hi,
I would like to ask how to connect A45 to an analog amp?

First way is to use LO and wm-port cable to mini-jack or RCA cable, that’s fine. The other way is to use HO and player’s headphone out to what? RCA cable? Preamp?
I can’t use the first way as I don’t have the right cable yet. But, when I connect A45 using headphone out to RCA in the amp, sound is very quiet.
I am not sure who, probably fish1050 mentioned here that he got very good SQ using HO.
Should I use any preamp to keep the right sound level? I would prefer to use HO to keep EQ settings.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #1,376 of 1,999
Hi,
I would like to ask how to connect A45 to an analog amp?

First way is to use LO and wm-port cable to mini-jack or RCA cable, that’s fine. The other way is to use HO and player’s headphone out to what? RCA cable? Preamp?
I can’t use the first way as I don’t have the right cable yet. But, when I connect A45 using headphone out to RCA in the amp, sound is very quiet.
I am not sure who, probably fish1050 mentioned here that he got very good SQ using HO.
Should I use any preamp to keep the right sound level? I would prefer to use HO to keep EQ settings.

I use the HO to my home stereo and car stereo daily. In the car I set the volume level to 100. At home I set the volume level to 110. For my systems it gives me the preferred sound signature and what I perceive to be accurate. Systems and ears vary so do what sounds best to you. I have not had any double amping distortion when sticking to those volumes.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,378 of 1,999
No apps or EQ adjustment over BT with the A45. :triportsad:
Apologies if I've misinterpreted the issue but I was just looking for some answers regarding using EQ via BT on my NW-A17 with WH1000XM3's and found this https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwza10/v1/en/contents/TP0000414409.html. I can confirm it works for my combo so unless the functionality was removed from the A45 and/or not present with the WH1000XM2's this could help?

Setting sound effects during a Bluetooth connection
You can select whether or not to apply the following sound effects when you send content from your Walkman to a Bluetooth audio device.

• [Equalizer]
  • [VPT (Surround)]
  • [Dynamic Normalizer]
  • [ClearAudio+]
  1. From the Home menu, select
    chm_setting.png
    [Settings].
  2. Select [Bluetooth Settings] - [Sound Effect Preset] - desired device - desired setting.
    When you select [On], the sound effect setting is applied.
EDIT: please disregard. looks like this functionality was removed for the A40 series based on the first note on this help page: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001449051.html

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,379 of 1,999
EDIT: please disregard. looks like this functionality was removed for the A40 series based on the first note on this help page: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001449051.html

Yes, removed. Not because it can't be done, just because Sony are a bunch of weird, proprietary using strangelings who make very strange business decisions. Almost intentionally driving customers away at this point, much like sticking with their sony connector rather than USB-C...in 2018.

I've almost stopped using NW-A45 entirely because of this bull. Through my Note9 I am able to listen via LDAC codec and apply EQ as I see fit via ViperX and it works flawlessly. Also much broader and more effective range of EQ controls and effects as well as a much bigger battery life when playing hi-res formats.

Do I regret the purchase of my NW-A45? Not really. I treat it like a seedbank. I keep a 256gb card in it, filled with perfectly tagged, perfectly organised FLAC albums with good quality artwork. Sometimes when the situation calls for it I use it with a good quality set of wired earbuds as I believe must have been intended, because they sure as hell gutted the bluetooth functionality even when used with their own super expensive headphones. Imagine disabling 70% of player functionality just because it is being used via BT...

My love affair with Sony audio goes back literally decades but at this point I mainly support them out of some sort of twisted sense of nostalgia. If it wasn't for the playstation arm of the company, they would have gone out of business years ago. No business can survive so many bad choices.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,380 of 1,999
Yes, removed. Not because it can't be done, just because Sony are a bunch of weird, proprietary using strangelings who make very strange business decisions. Almost intentionally driving customers away at this point, much like sticking with their sony connector rather than USB-C...in 2018.

I've almost stopped using NW-A45 entirely because of this bull****. Through my Note9 I am able to listen via LDAC codec and apply EQ as I see fit via ViperX and it works flawlessly. Also much broader and more effective range of EQ controls and effects as well as a much bigger battery life when playing hi-res formats.

Do I regret the purchase of my NW-A45? Not really. I treat it like a seedbank. I keep a 256gb card in it, filled with perfectly tagged, perfectly organised FLAC albums with good quality artwork. Sometimes when the situation calls for it I use it with a good quality set of wired earbuds as I believe must have been intended, because they sure as hell gutted the bluetooth functionality even when used with their own super expensive headphones. Imagine disabling 70% of player functionality just because it is being used via BT...

My love affair with Sony audio goes back literally decades but at this point I mainly support them out of some sort of twisted sense of nostalgia. If it wasn't for the playstation arm of the company, they would have gone out of business years ago. No business can survive so many bad choices.
Although it's true that Playstation makes up a lot of Sony's success, they're also doing very well in the camera business too, something most people tend to overlook when reflecting on the company as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back