Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,126 of 1,999
I downloaded drake scorpion from HD tracks and it sounded like crap, is it because it was in alac format and not flac format? Did I buy the wrong thing? I downloaded a bunch of flac files from some place else and playing wired to my vmoda wireless 2 with aptx, WOW! Incredible, nice mids and crystal clear highs, bass nice textured. Big difference from note 8. I'm happy with a45. I just wish it didnt have that dum propertary cable.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,127 of 1,999
I downloaded drake scorpion from HD tracks and it sounded like crap, is it because it was in alac format and not flac format? Did I buy the wrong thing? I downloaded a bunch of flac files from some place else and playing wired to my vmoda wireless 2 with aptx, WOW! Incredible, nice mids and crystal clear highs, bass nice textured. Big difference from note 8. I'm happy with a45. I just wish it didnt have that dum propertary cable.

Alac, so you are using a Mac. There are tools to convert from one lossless format to another. No quality loss at all converting a alac file to flac. Just try if it sounds different. Though it should really. I use tunesify for the Mac to convert files from flac to alac or to m4a (aac) for mobile use. It’s a very high quality converter. Again. Converting from flac to all and vice versa maintains the quality.

Alac by the way has been open sourced and made royalty free by Apple a couple
of years ago. So everyone is free to use it.

You can’t play wired with aptX as this is a wireless codec. So either Zohra are using it wired OR with BT aptx - however aptX is a lossy conversion from your lossless flax files to transfer to your headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,128 of 1,999
I knew something was wrong. I'm using windows! Ok gonna have fix that. I mentioned aptx so you knew what model vmoda I had. There are 3 versions of the wireless 2, one without aptx, one with aptx, and the newer codex model with aptx/aac. That's good info I appreciate it, still learning all this stuff again, my last player was an iriver from long ago, lol. I'm look into band camp.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,129 of 1,999
Ahh understood. Ok. But you used it wired got it.

Actually both Alac a d flac will be converted to pcm and then converted to analog by the dac so since both are lossless they should produce the exact same pcm file. However - should doesn’t mean it happens. Try converting it to flac (you loose nothing) and see if that changes anything.

Cheers!

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,131 of 1,999
Thanks coolpep. Having fun pairing this with my vmodas wireless 2 and my sony wh-1000xm2, I also tried it with s ok me akg headphone that came with my note 8, can recommend another set of iem that would pair nicely with the Sony nw-a45, I like thicker, deep bass but I'm not a bass head at all, fun clear sound is what I'm after.

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,132 of 1,999
Thanks coolpep. Having fun pairing this with my vmodas wireless 2 and my sony wh-1000xm2, I also tried it with s ok me akg headphone that came with my note 8, can recommend another set of iem that would pair nicely with the Sony nw-a45, I like thicker, deep bass but I'm not a bass head at all, fun clear sound is what I'm after.

I've been using my A45 strictly with the Campfire Polaris IEMs. They seem to pair very well. More flat sounding than with my X5iii, but still a fun sound.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,133 of 1,999
Depending on your budget, I can recommend the IMR-R1, Pioneer SE-CH9T, JVC HA-FX850, Westone W60, and the AK Roxanne II.

Which budget are you looking at?

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #1,134 of 1,999
my budget is about 100.00 I can go higher if its worh it. I was looking at this, it gets good reviews but I don't know. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/1more-triple-driver-in-ear-headphones-titanium/6172056.p?skuId=6172056

another question guys, are there any newer sony dap that does not use that dum proprietary sony cable? I am loving this unit but that cable is killing the experience. I have music on my work pc and I left my cable home. what happens if I need a charge and I don't have it? lucky it has a super long battery life.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,135 of 1,999
my budget is about 100.00 I can go higher if its worh it. I was looking at this, it gets good reviews but I don't know. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/1more-triple-driver-in-ear-headphones-titanium/6172056.p?skuId=6172056

another question guys, are there any newer sony dap that does not use that dum proprietary sony cable? I am loving this unit but that cable is killing the experience. I have music on my work pc and I left my cable home. what happens if I need a charge and I don't have it? lucky it has a super long battery life.

Why don't you just buy a spare cable or two? They aren't that expensive.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,136 of 1,999
You can buy those cables on AliExpress for 1$+...

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,137 of 1,999
Hahaha i mean Apple has been using proprietary cable and nobody makes noise (THEY EVEN CHANGED IT), sony been using the same one throughout....... i mean it gets annoying by having more cables lying around and spending more money...... its not really a deal breaker for me

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,138 of 1,999

I have other 1more / Xiaomi headphones and they all punch above their price range. While I don't have experience with this particular one - I heard only good things about it! The Pioneer can be had for around $99 as well - and I can't say enough good things about it.

Hahaha i mean Apple has been using proprietary cable and nobody makes noise (THEY EVEN CHANGED IT), sony been using the same one throughout....... i mean it gets annoying by having more cables lying around and spending more money...... its not really a deal breaker for me

Apple produces iPhones since 2007 - they changed the connector ONCE and promised it will stay for another 10 years unchanged.
However - the Sony connectors - however unwieldly didn't change yet.

I wish all would just use USB-C and call proprietary connectors quits. But that won't happen, sadly.

I have bought this original Sony accessory: SONY WMP-NWM10 Micro USB to WM-Port Plug Adaptor

You can then charge via micro usb - of course - a dongle you would still need to carry around.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,140 of 1,999
I just ran a battery test using Bluetooth if anyone is interested.

Tested with Bowers & Wilkinson PXs using apt X HD playing 16bit flac files at around 60-70% volume. In between listening sessions I turned the player off completely (which still apparently uses a tiny bit of battery according to Sony ). Managed to get 11hrs 42mins out of the DAP.

Expected slightly more but when I checked the Sony spec sheet it states approx 13hrs via BT using LDAC preferred connection, so not to terrible.

Anyone else tested out the battery life ? What sort of times are you getting wired or via BT ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back