Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Aug 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #62 of 1,999
Wait, what? The A30 is supposed to be better than the A15/25?
Is it in terms of specifications or general review/appreciations?
I don't disagree btw, I'm just curious.
Isnt that obvs ? Its the newer generation so sony did update the hardware. Also I like the Software more than the one on the older ones. It sounds really damn good for the price and its like the perfect portable player!

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #63 of 1,999
Wait, what? The A30 is supposed to be better than the A15/25?
Is it in terms of specifications or general review/appreciations?
I don't disagree btw, I'm just curious.

There's a spec comparison sheet posted somewhere in the early pages of the A30 thread, might also be on the Walkman Blog fan website. A30 has new chipset and better output power, and most people seem to think it sounds better, though it also appears to have dropped a little bit of the extra functionality of A10/20 (like podcast bookmarks...).

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #64 of 1,999
Just researched a bit more and you can now record with the new A40 series, there is a cable that u can connect to the walkman and it takes a linelevel input and u can live monitor it and record it!

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #65 of 1,999
Just researched a bit more and you can now record with the new A40 series, there is a cable that u can connect to the walkman and it takes a linelevel input and u can live monitor it and record it!

That's cool... funny how this used to be a pretty common feature but these days it seems like only budget daps have it. I remember when MD was pretty popular for field recording. It would be neat if Sony go all-out and make this a little bit of a Swiss Army DAP, though I know a lot of people like the simplicity of just doing music playback with a good Sony UI.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #66 of 1,999
That's cool... funny how this used to be a pretty common feature but these days it seems like only budget daps have it. I remember when MD was pretty popular for field recording. It would be neat if Sony go all-out and make this a little bit of a Swiss Army DAP, though I know a lot of people like the simplicity of just doing music playback with a good Sony UI.
I doubt that they will do it.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #67 of 1,999
Hi,
I am very interested by this new NW-40 series, but I eared that on the previous series (NW-A30) the boot time was very long comparing to the NWZ-A15 for exemple.
Do you know if the A40 series will solve this problem? Or just by adding in the setting an option like 'rescan automatically the library at startup -> YES or NO' and 'scan the library immediately'?
(I am new on this forum, hope that I am in the good thread for my question!)

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #68 of 1,999
Hi,
I am very interested by this new NW-40 series, but I eared that on the previous series (NW-A30) the boot time was very long comparing to the NWZ-A15 for exemple.
Do you know if the A40 series will solve this problem? Or just by adding in the setting an option like 'rescan automatically the library at startup -> YES or NO' and 'scan the library immediately'?
(I am new on this forum, hope that I am in the good thread for my question!)
Maybe no info in the manuel. I own the A30 tho, if you synced everything with the Media Go software it wont rescan on bootup it will just scan for changes and that takes not long. Also why do you shut off your player ? It has like really good battery life and even if you listen everyday for like 4 hours it will last you probably a work week. If you recharge it every 3 days you are good to go and you dont need to power off, just make sure no music is playing and than put on hold.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #69 of 1,999
Thank you for the informations about Media Go. The problem is that I have a Mac, so I use Content Transfert for my A15 (Sony too).
-> Maybe the A30 with Content Transfert works in the same way as with Media Go, without re-scanning files which didn't change... I don't know.

Yes, of course I could let the device in standby mode. Until now I always shut down my A15 when I stop to listen music because the boot on this device is really fast.
About this, what is (approximately) the battery life of the A30 if you let it in standby mode (without using it)? One week, maybe more?
But finally I don't understand why there is this big time-difference between A15 and A30 regarding the scan of the library (without considering the boot of the OS of course).

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #70 of 1,999
Thank you for the informations about Media Go. The problem is that I have a Mac, so I use Content Transfert for my A15 (Sony too).
-> Maybe the A30 with Content Transfert works in the same way as with Media Go, without re-scanning files which didn't change... I don't know.

Yes, of course I could let the device in standby mode. Until now I always shut down my A15 when I stop to listen music because the boot on this device is really fast.
About this, what is (approximately) the battery life of the A30 if you let it in standby mode (without using it)? One week, maybe more?
But finally I don't understand why there is this big time-difference between A15 and A30 regarding the scan of the library (without considering the boot of the OS of course).
different os on different hardware. One could think Sony makes the devices faster over the years, but actually they focus more on better sound quality and the os seems to be a bit slower, maybe not as optimized. I bet the os will be somewhat faster on the A40 series but not much a lot. Its useable and thats what only counts

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #71 of 1,999
when it goes on sale?

Attachments

• Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #72 of 1,999

I have had my Sony A17 for almost 3 years and I get significantly longer battery life shutting down vs leaving it in standby. Personally unless it takes more than a minute to start up I would turn off the unit. Sony recommends replacing the battery on their DAP's when it drops below 50% which took my A17 two years. Got a free new in box A17 replacement when I did a warranty service call based on the 50% rule. I was able to purchase an extended warranty from the Sony store on my A17 but they are all closed in Canada now. I don't know what Sony is doing for extended warranties now. So I want to make the battery last as long as possible and turning it off is going to do that especially if you don't listen to it every day.

If you only plan on keeping it a couple of years by all means leave it in standby but I want to get as much life out of mine as possible.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #73 of 1,999
I would like to keep the battery life as better as possible too.
Maybe and hopefully the boot time on the A40 will be improved compare to the A30.
I would change my A15 to the next A40 to keep aptx codec, and because on the A15 unfortunately there is no gapless playback without Media Go (and ripping all my CD's...). Moreover the volume steps are too small (only 30 steps) I think.
I am also interested by the Shanling M2S but I read on this forum that the aptx connection is very bad (too short distance). So I prefer to wait for the IFA 2017 to learn about the new A40 model.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #74 of 1,999
I would like to keep the battery life as better as possible too.
Maybe and hopefully the boot time on the A40 will be improved compare to the A30.
I would change my A15 to the next A40 to keep aptx codec, and because on the A15 unfortunately there is no gapless playback without Media Go (and ripping all my CD's...). Moreover the volume steps are too small (only 30 steps) I think.
I am also interested by the Shanling M2S but I read on this forum that the aptx connection is very bad (too short distance). So I prefer to wait for the IFA 2017 to learn about the new A40 model.

You share alot of my sentiments on waiting for the A40. Namely hopefully an improved boot time and keeping AptX support and fixing the delay in switching tracks over the A35. As for the volume steps I am using the Fiio Q1 with my A17 so I use it for volume changing. I was looking at the M2S as well but as you mentioned AptX support isn't great and the battery life at only 9 hours is barely 1/3 of the Sony DAP's. Also the reviews on sound quality on the M2S aren't great either. In fact if I didn't go for the A45 I would be more inclined to go with the Cayin N3 over the M2S as you get better battery life, the same power and AptX support and it is cheaper. I was considering the Fiio X3-III but again power battery life at 9 hours and it appears there is no AptX support.

So to get everything I want it looks like the A45 is going to be my next DAP.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #75 of 1,999
Yes, for the aptx codec on the A45, this is for sure supported (this is written in the tech. spec. on its Japanese manual), so it is a good point.
Unfortunately, for the X3-Mark III, yes the only problem is that the aptx is no longer supported (as you can see here ).
I will wait and see for the IFA 2017 and the new A45, because I have also the MDR-1000x and it could be great to have the LDAC support for the future, even if at short time my 'AAC 256 kb/s library' don't need LDAC and is fully transmitted using aptx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back