Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Nov 11, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #391 of 1,999
If it's anything like the a35 then sadly no podcast or audiobook support. It'll play an mp3 file of it but won't remember it, seems it's the same on the zx300 as well (asked on amazon). If anyone else wants to comment otherwise feel free.
nope podcast is not on the ZX300 as well ...thats why i have still kept my A17

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #392 of 1,999
New firmware works fine. No issues found... yet.
AptX HD is working too (option present on wireless playback menu):wink:
BDCFFC0E-E05C-4F71-A0AD-FA09BE3EA6D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #394 of 1,999
New firmware works fine. No issues found... yet.
AptX HD is working too (option present on wireless playback menu):wink:
new firmware is buggy. when i play MP3 song in my player it gives the error file format is not supported. What mp3 is supported right? It played for 10 seconds before giving that error message. anyone else have the same problem?

MP3 is 320kbps bitrate and play fine on my pc.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #396 of 1,999
If it's anything like the a35 then sadly no podcast or audiobook support. It'll play an mp3 file of it but won't remember it, seems it's the same on the zx300 as well (asked on amazon). If anyone else wants to comment otherwise feel free.

It seems weird. Since (the soon to be defunct) Media Go included support for both audio and video playback. The new Music Center is only support for audio playback. However, both still have podcast download and playback support. I don't know why Sony couldn't have modified their podcast app (on DAPs) to only support audio files. It seems possible down the road. However, Sony usually just updates firmware to fix bugs and few enhancements.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #398 of 1,999
It seems weird. Since (the soon to be defunct) Media Go included support for both audio and video playback. The new Music Center is only support for audio playback. However, both still have podcast download and playback support. I don't know why Sony couldn't have modified their podcast app (on DAPs) to only support audio files. It seems possible down the road. However, Sony usually just updates firmware to fix bugs and few enhancements.
Yep, this is why I haven't shelled out for the higher end sony's nice though they are. As audiobooks are a good 50 percent of what I listen to having a good app for it is a must. If they add it in the near future I would be all over the zx300, otherwise as they say in Dragon's Den "I'm out".

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #400 of 1,999
Yep, this is why I haven't shelled out for the higher end sony's nice though they are. As audiobooks are a good 50 percent of what I listen to having a good app for it is a must. If they add it in the near future I would be all over the zx300, otherwise as they say in Dragon's Den "I'm out".
Why don't you just get a cheap player with bookmarks for your audio books and a nicer one for music?

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #401 of 1,999

I had an opportunity to pose the podcast support question to a Sony sales rep and got the following answer. The DAP market is very small to begin with as most people especially in North America and Europe use smartphones for music. With the increasing competition in the market Sony like all DAP makers had to make choices about what features to support given their budget constraints. Sony DAP's no longer support video playback as it was found to be a feature most people didn't use. Kind of ironic given the quality of screens Sony is putting on their DAP's now. When they dropped video support the demand for podcast playback which was small to begin with was reduced to the point that Sony decided to focus on other features.

Media Center still supports Podcasts for the A10 and A20 series DAP's. You can still buy the A17 and A20 series in Canada for example although they are becoming scarce. So it isn't that Sony can't support Podcasts they simply choose not to given the relatively low demand especially in Asia. I am surprised the A40 series still has an FM tuner. Clearly not what Podcast lovers want to hear but you can't please everyone I guess.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #405 of 1,999
Is there any improvement in voice compared to A35?

so any sound differences between A35 and A45?

From my brief listen with demo sets on the same DSD files (preset) , mostly quite similar BUT A45 there is more clarity. The highs, details are more audible. For me it was enough for me to choose A45 over the heavily discounted A35 in my local store. Besides the better bluetooth support and ability to use as USB DAC. I would recommend for you guys to listen yourselves instead side by side both players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back