Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #166 of 1,999
Do you wanna blame me for having actually heard both devices already ? I tested a lot of stuff at IFA and the new Sony stuff sounds better than the V30 lol You do not understand that there are limits and important stuff in a phone that reduces audio quality.

but this little player will sound better than pretty much all phones even stuff like LG V30 and later released stuff
Don't worry, I'm not blaming you for anything...I'm just puzzled by how you are able to judge the audio performance of future phones a few posts back before you even get to listen to them. No worries...let's move along...I hope there's no offence taken :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #167 of 1,999
Don't worry, I'm not blaming you for anything...I'm just puzzled by how you are able to judge the audio performance of future phones a few posts back before you even get to listen to them. No worries...let's move along...I hope there's no offence taken :ksc75smile:
Well sure, but I will stay with my point. New phones will never sound as good and I already said that with the tech at the moment its just not possible since Phones have more important stuff than audio quality.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #169 of 1,999
This audio player is good.
But i do not see any point in purchasing it while i have LG G6 ( and later LG V30 ).
SQ is good enough for me.

Player without access to Google Play Music or other online services in 2017?
Sounds funny.

I think if you actually like using your phone & it has good enough SQ there aren't a lot of reasons- probably battery life is the most compelling, going by specs the new ones aren't quite as good, but I can go hiking for a week with a decent amount of use and still have half a charge left on my A17 (unless using bluetooth or FM radio).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #170 of 1,999
Well you don't get my point. First every phone has a dac, thats the electronic component that turns digital into analog lines..
And you don't seem to get mine point. LG G6 is not like the rest of phones.
It haves much better DAC.

LG V30 have - SABRE ES9218P. I guess G6 have the same one.

I got to test it a bit at IFA so yeah I know what I speak about.
Yeah IFA is the best place to test the AQ...

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #171 of 1,999
Like you, I am also debating between the A45 and the X3 iii for my next DAP purchase. Both are within the same price range, and offer similar features. Would you mind sharing your reasons for choosing the Sony over the FiiO? Much appreciated! :)
I also compared them side by side.
Fiio is large and bulky. I would prefer portable dap to be portable :)

but I can go hiking for a week
This is a good point but how often do you go hiking for a week long - once a year?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #172 of 1,999
Well you don't get my point. First every phone has a dac, thats the electronic component that turns digital into analog lines. Obvsly this part is better on the player. And second you say you can't hear a difference, but did you actually try the player? Or other players? In terms of pure sound quality sony is way better compared to phones and other players. You have to try multiple devices in a short time to hear some stuff but there is a difference.
I haven't compared the A35 against any other DAP/phone, but my wife's V20 has some pretty good audio quality. It sounds a touch more detailed than my AK100 mk2 (and probably my AK120), which sounds a little warm and a little congested. Thus, I wouldn't discount any phones sounding relatively good from an audiophile's standpoint. Sure, it may not be as good as a TOTL standalone DAP, but I think it's at least 90% there. Which is pretty good for most people, I reckon.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #173 of 1,999
IMG_7269.PNG
Sony nw a-45 will be on sale from October 7, in Japanese resellers.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #175 of 1,999
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #176 of 1,999
Almost almost purchased an A35 and luckily my indecisiveness kicked in and i happened to read the news of the A45... looking forward to getting the A45 (Although an inner voice is saying I should just pay a few hundred more and get the ZX300 or Astell AK300... lol)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #177 of 1,999
Almost almost purchased an A35 and luckily my indecisiveness kicked in and i happened to read the news of the A45... looking forward to getting the A40 (Although an inner voice is saying I should just pay a few hundred more and get the ZX300 or Astell AK300... lol)
What distinguishes from A35 A45?

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #178 of 1,999
What distinguishes from A35 A45?

For me, it's my first dap, so i'd rather get the newest one tech wise for my money. Hoping for some improvements to the speed of the UI and the MQA support and Qualcomm® aptX HD are good additions. Good colour options too if you're into that, but I pre-ordered the greyish black model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back