Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #136 of 1,999
So what about predictions? Everything is as expected?
Longer battery life, external dac ... etc

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #138 of 1,999
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #139 of 1,999
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #140 of 1,999
The A40 series is already available here in Singapore.

Interestingly enough, it's a whole S$50 cheaper (about $37).

Sony A40 VS A30.jpg

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #141 of 1,999
So what about predictions? Everything is as expected?
Longer battery life, external dac ... etc

Thanks to the product information now available on sony.com https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series/specifications

We know the following compared to the A30 series:

The power is the same as the A30 series at 35 mW per channel
Although it was rumored the A40 had a larger battery the est battery life times posted are the same as the A30 for all file formats with and without Noise Canceling ON
It has a quick charge feature although charge time still says Approx. 4 hours
AptX support is confirmed
MQA support is confirmed
USB DAC feature confirmed
Apparent improvements to sound quality using an improved circuit board and higher quality solder.

There is no mention of podcast support.

So all that is left is for people to get their hands on the A40 and report the unknown stuff like boot time and whether the lag switching tracks is fixed.

As far as the rumored larger battery perhaps if it is true it was to support improved processing power to improve boot times and fix the track switching lag reported on the A30 series. Looking forward to some hands on impressions!

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #143 of 1,999
I just got back from Tokyo earlier this week and these were available everywhere! Sony are really pushing these, the 16gig version goes for about $240Aussie. I recently got my Echobox Explorer so didn't bother and I have an A15 which has given me 3 years of solid, dependable FLAC audio with great battery life. What put me off these thought it the stupid Sony proprietary usb cable, and no streaming services. They play or encode DSD files as well. Sonically I tried one using the new colour matched Sony over-ear headpones, the sound was more bass heavy and present than my A15s, Sony are definitely giving these a big push.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #144 of 1,999
Now is the time to push them as apple have quietly discontinued the nano and the shuffle, leaving the ipod touch as the sole survivor (for how long?). That leaves a significant but small gap in the market for people who want a decent, cheapish quality sounding player that works. Sounds familar?

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #145 of 1,999
I just got back from Tokyo earlier this week and these were available everywhere! Sony are really pushing these, the 16gig version goes for about $240Aussie. I recently got my Echobox Explorer so didn't bother and I have an A15 which has given me 3 years of solid, dependable FLAC audio with great battery life. What put me off these thought it the stupid Sony proprietary usb cable, and no streaming services. They play or encode DSD files as well. Sonically I tried one using the new colour matched Sony over-ear headpones, the sound was more bass heavy and present than my A15s, Sony are definitely giving these a big push.

Did you happen to notice if there is a Podcast/Audiobook bookmarking/resume function?

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #146 of 1,999
On some websites they say the NW-A40 will be available early 2018.

Maybe it depends on the location. What is about the release in Europe? October or 2018?

Thanks in advance.
In asian region the A40 will be available this year. In the rest it will be early 2018, it was the same with the A30 it was available in asian countries end of 2016 and in all others early 2017

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #148 of 1,999
On some websites they say the NW-A40 will be available early 2018.

Maybe it depends on the location. What is about the release in Europe? October or 2018?

Thanks in advance.

Given that the Consumer Electronics Show is in Las Vegas in January this is where Sony will start their big North American push. I would say sometime in late May or early June next year which is when alot of audio products get released in the US. Then again if it is already available in Asia now who knows maybe Sony will release it earlier here as well (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #149 of 1,999
I was holding out hope that the Fiio X3-III might be an option to waiting for the A45 to be released. But having plowed through the 25 pages in the X3-III thread it is clear to me now that the only DAP worth considering in this price range is the A45.

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #150 of 1,999
For my fellow Canadians

The NW-A45 and ZX300 are now on the Sony Canada website although no pricing as yet. If you go to Electronics/ MP3 Players you will see the new lineup which includes the WM1A/Z, ZX300, A45 and A30 series. If you go to High Resolution Audio/Electronics/Walkman you see the currently available lineup which still includes the ZX100, A20 and yes the A10 series, the A17 can still be found selling for the CDN full retail price believe it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back