Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #31 of 207
Quote:
MH1C -> Good sounding dynamic budget IEM = 25$ "HYPE" !!
GR07  -> Good sounding dynamic Head-Fi established IEM = 150$ TOTALLY LEGIT, DUH

Obviously I know nothing, a peasant among the seasoned audiophile connoisseurs with their technically superior hexa BA driver CIEM's deeply sorry to offend your highlyness, but my laymans ears honestly found the performances comparable. Please forgive me.

5 dollars? Well then the GR07 sounds like 5,50 at the most.

Maybe we can agree on it's all subjective and not everyone has to seek a highly detailed, high resolution IEM in order to be considered good. Maybe some of us go for different signatures. And because of that a 150$ IEM can sometimes be a bigger disappointment than the 25$ IEM.

Maybe the threads could be merged if some find it so intrusive.

so wait. you have the gr07?
if you do. mind pm-ing me a good comparison of the two?

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #32 of 207
Quote:
I have a lot of experience with headphones and IEMs. I've easily listened to over 50 models of IEM alone in the past 3 years. Without getting into the intricacies of how this hype came about, if you asked me how much I think the MH1C is "worth", how much it sounds like, where it could be priced and out-sell most but not all current-day competitors, I would say...

About $89.

Take that however you like.

+1

If the OP doesnt like the hype on this things, dont read those threads. Simple........... 

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #33 of 207
If the OP doesnt like the hype on this things, dont read those threads. Simple........... 

I never said the MH1Cs were junk or not worth it's value or anything of the sort, I just want to know where it would stand for it's performance since it received a lot of attention (a.k.a. hype), let it be comparable to $60 headphones like the Gr06s, $100 headphones like the B2s, $200 headphones like the Triple.Fi 10s, or just peoples' first IEMs they have purchased as upgrades from Apple earbuds. I just want to know where they perform and if they are really the true bang for the buck since I am planning to purchase them (a few to be exact). Seems like most people take the word "hype" in the wrong context; perhaps I should use the word "attention" instead.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #34 of 207
I just had my MH1C delivered, and let me put in my reactions on the sound quality.

I have been listening to Sennheiser CX400-II for 2.5 years and one thing which i clearly noticed is that the music just sounds more natural in these. I recently got a Cowon Z2 which is supposedly one of the best PMPs around. I listened to some songs in it and when i switched back to my CX400s i was quite taken back. The CX400 suddenly sounded to me like its mechanical and dull. The CX400-II are very crystal clear in the low range IEM but these just sound more natural and make the music more enjoyable for sure. But, these are lacking clarity for sure, dunno whats the problem. AT first, i thought these were better than my CX400-II but now i really don't feel so. I will check again after some burn-in i guess :\

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #35 of 207
Quote:
I have a lot of experience with headphones and IEMs. I've easily listened to over 50 models of IEM alone in the past 3 years. Without getting into the intricacies of how this hype came about, if you asked me how much I think the MH1C is "worth", how much it sounds like, where it could be priced and out-sell most but not all current-day competitors, I would say...

About $89.

Take that however you like.

That's how much it costs here in Australia, $89.95

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #36 of 207
Quote:
I never said the MH1Cs were junk or not worth it's value or anything of the sort, I just want to know where it would stand for it's performance since it received a lot of attention (a.k.a. hype), let it be comparable to $60 headphones like the Gr06s, $100 headphones like the B2s, $200 headphones like the Triple.Fi 10s, or just peoples' first IEMs they have purchased as upgrades from Apple earbuds. I just want to know where they perform and if they are really the true bang for the buck since I am planning to purchase them (a few to be exact). Seems like most people take the word "hype" in the wrong context; perhaps I should use the word "attention" instead.

You obviously havent looked at the comparision thread :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-redgiant-a00-malleus-and-a03-ossicle-added-nov-22nd-2012#post_7297558

I do agree with clieos, I really find them that much good. They are really not like too far in SQ when compared to Triple fi 10 on a general scale for my liking. Instead of wasting time thinking its a hype, get em and experience it.

Those who havent liked MH1C, try amping em, they are hard to drive and need a lot of juice. They perform a LOT better amped(with FiiO E11) than any of my other IEMs. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #38 of 207
^THIS.
Some people confuse sound signature with technical proficiency. The MH1 has a smooth sound signature and smoothness tends to kill microdetail. Phones with more upfront and energetic treble will sound more detailed, that doesn't really mean they are "better". Still the MH1 treble manages to carry a respectable amount of detail without even a hint of sibilance, that's not an easy achievement. The only real technical misstep of the Sonys is the lack of speed on the bass, and this also is probably a result of the tuning (too much bass quantity tends to produce longer decay times). I would have liked this IEM allot more with a 4-5 db cut in the low region but i have to admit that even as it is, it is comparable to the ~100$ IEMs i've owned or auditioned, even besting some of them in things like dynamic range or instrument separation.

When something is as hyped as much as these, people tend to forget that there is no IEM that can satisfy everyone's sonic preferences. Things that seem trivial to one listener might be a priority to another. The GR07 for example has the sound signature i usually go for, but i haven't gotten a pair yet because they reportedly lack in dynamics and that's a deal breaker for me.

As for the excessive recommendations, i partially agree, hype will do that and head-fi is king at producing hype :wink:. Still, if someone is looking for a pair of bass heavy, dark and smooth IEMs below the 150$ price mark, i don't see were is the harm in recommending these.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 207
I would pay $25 for the stock sleeves of MH1C, as they fit large-caliber IEMs, such as Sony and UE, in my ears nice and deep. The unique double finish(matte/glossy) prevents sleeves from sliding out. Truly the best.

MH1C itself? $5.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #40 of 207
I would pay $25 for the stock sleeves of MH1C, as they fit large-caliber IEMs, such as Sony and UE, in my ears nice and deep. The unique double finish(matte/glossy) prevents sleeves from sliding out. Truly the best.

MH1C itself? $5.

Aside from the comical indifference to what different products are worth, why would you equate the sound of the MH1C with $5? What comparative basis do you have, and what details can you provide to back that up?

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #41 of 207
$5 for such a good sounding pair of IEM? 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #42 of 207
I find my iBuds that came with iPhone 3G less muddy than MH1C, ain't even euphonic as Final Audio Design's products are. Ranked #2 on the worst IEM of 2012 for me, as Heir Audio 3.Ai is the #1.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #43 of 207
I find my iBuds that came with iPhone 3G less muddy than MH1C, ain't even euphonic as Final Audio Design's products are. Ranked #2 on the worst IEM of 2012 for me, as Heir Audio 3.Ai is the #1.

So you find a bass-light earbud model "less muddy" than a bass-adequate isolating in-ear model, and you find a triple BA custom-quality universal IEM to be the worst in-ear released all year? I'm starting to see a pattern...

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #44 of 207

MH1C itself? $5.

I hope you are trolling... :p

Hurts me to see that the MH1Cs beat the B2s, but I find the B2s way to sibilant without major EQ control on my Galaxy S2, so even something like the SE215 (when tested lacked the fullness provided by the B2s) would suffice for me. Reading the review of the MH1Cs, I'm not really getting a huge sense of why it beats or fairs on par with the B2s and Gr07 in terms of sound quality, so I assume overall sound based on it's signature vs benchmarks of similar sounding IEMs.

Still, for <$30, I'm getting it regardless. If it sounds better than the B2s, then it's a win, if it sounds less than expected, only $30. Low risk, high reward, and I can still give them to friends who could use them as a replacement for their Apple earpods. Interesting opinions from everyone, thanks everyone.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #45 of 207
Quote:
So you find a bass-light earbud model "less muddy" than a bass-adequate isolating in-ear model, and you find a triple BA custom-quality universal IEM to be the worst in-ear released all year? I'm starting to see a pattern...

The first example, most muddiness comes from the bass. Therefore, a bass light IEM would be less muddy than an IEM with more bass. Apple earbuds are just seen as the standard since almost everybody has had one and experienced it firsthand. For the second example, I assume he's examining price/performance. A 300 dollar IEM that performs as well as a $100 IEM would still be technically superior than a $50 IEM. However, that would still make it a horrible IEM. 

In regards to the thread question, I'll do what I always do. Disregard the two extremes and focus on people who have, in the past, previously demonstrated the same sound observations/preferences as me. This one is interesting enough for me to get. I'm curious whether these will sound anything like the Miles Davis Tributes. Is the cheapest place to get these Amazon right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back