Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #61 of 207
I don't believe in burn in either mate, the thing is i have two pairs of MH1C beside me that tell me otherwise. One is unused the other has ~50 hours on it and they sound very different. I am not talking about mental burn in, they actually do sound different. The burned in pair has allot less bass quantity, a tighter bass, better instrument separation, more pronounced mids, and more detailed treble.

I tend to change between phones as well, and my initial reaction was similar to yours (what where they smoking basically :wink:), but now they actually sound respectable (actually amazing for their price) when i go back to them from a 150-200$ IEM. 

Manufacturing defect maybe? Is one missing the filters?

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #62 of 207
I don't believe in burn in either mate, the thing is i have two pairs of MH1C beside me that tell me otherwise. One is unused the other has ~50 hours on it and they sound very different. I am not talking about mental burn in, they actually do sound different. The burned in pair has allot less bass quantity, a tighter bass, better instrument separation, more pronounced mids, and more detailed treble.

I tend to change between phones as well, and my initial reaction was similar to yours (what where they smoking basically :wink:), but now they actually sound respectable (actually amazing for their price) when i go back to them from a 150-200$ IEM. 

More power to you then :) If you can enjoy something for cheap, what's not to like.

These are just not my cup of tea however, especially the burn in with BAs makes no sense to me ( I believe they are BA? Correct me if I'm wrong)

Edit: NVM they are dynamic, my opinion still stands

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #63 of 207
Quote:
mulberry outlet Mulberry is a worldwide famous brand for leather made goods. It is situated in England and was established in 1971. mulberry factory outlet Mulberry bag is one of them. This high quality bag makes you enjoy the fine workmanship and luxury feeling here. These bags are made up of natural leather and are comfortable to use.Mulberry features fashionable bags. They are perfectly functioned which makes it easy to use for everyone. To have super cool style in many occasions, you must take a Mulberry bag. Beautifully crafted Mulberry bags are available in USA and also in online shops. They are unique in design and finishing. It helps you to carry different things because it has plenty of space. Also they are decent. mulberry outlet uk When we think to go for a tour it’s important to take flexible but stylish suitcase. To stay in style wherever you go, you should take a Mulberry bag. Now time has become so important, people are always remains in hurry. In this case Mulberry bag will help you use your time properly. It has comfortable handle so that it is easy to carry.Owing a suitable and fashionable bag is often a dream of most females as well as some present day. Also owning a quite personal a luxurious bag at a reduced selling price is the most ideal one. Online shopping is very popular during these years because the low prices as well as the first class quality like the original goods. When you decide to buy online, you have to choose the professional online store and our Mulberry outlet store is your ideal choice. Seeing that there could be a price reduction for most mulberry bags within our store, you might make your dream come appropriate satisfactorily. Welcome to buy Mulberry bags in our store.For the present year Mulberry released 5 brand new plans in its 2010 Spring/Summer grouping. Alexa might be a challenge Bayswater excellent while Hayden has a significant number of from handbag, tote to the voyagers and in dark, chalk and peony pink accentuated with metal. mulberry outlet store

ORDERED!!

IT WILL MAKE A GREAT BAG FOR MY MH1C!!!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR SPAM!!!

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #64 of 207
Nov 27, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #65 of 207
my set actually spent 3 weeks in the postal system, so I think it might be possible due to different weather for people to receive their headphones in various temperature state, if you get what I mean... so they take a first listen and think What.  Then they sleep on it with the music blasting and it warms up in the morning and psychology takes over the rest.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #66 of 207
Quote:
Manufacturing defect maybe? Is one missing the filters?

Nope, i opened a third (don't ask :p) unused pair to confirm, they just benefit from burn in. What causes most of the changes is the settling down of the bass. Out of the box it's a mess, excessive in quantity, boomy, and no control what so ever. It drowns everything else. Btw, all pairs come from the same batch.

More power to you then 
smily_headphones1.gif
 If you can enjoy something for cheap, what's not to like.
These are just not my cup of tea however, especially the burn in with BAs makes no sense to me ( I believe they are BA? Correct me if I'm wrong)
Edit: NVM they are dynamic, my opinion still stands

It's not like there are many options that include a hands free for android users :wink:. Anyway, i'd suggest to give them a couple of hours of burn in before sending them away, you might still not like them but they will sound closer to their intended sound.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #67 of 207
Quote:
Well I don't really believe in burn in, and IMO if the headphones don't sound good to you, doesn't matter how long you listen to them. Your brain may get accustomed to the sound, but that doesn't mean it sounds good. The moment you switch between headphones like I do, and come back to them, they sound bad again.Perhaps my standard was a bit too high since I have the Miracle next to me, but if something tastes bad, no matter how many times you eat it, won't make it taste good, you may get used to the taste, however.

For BA's, they wont change. But dynamics do change in my observation, and I too have 3 pairs of MH1C with different burn-in states and they sound different..The out of the box ones treble really too harsh and one which burned-in the most has most unfatiguing treble..

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #68 of 207
I will suggest that whether you believe in burn in or not, because of the many saying it improved, do this.

Write down all your observations right now.
Do the burn in thing for the next 25 hours or so. And I don't mean psychological burn in. Just leave them continuously playing at a loud volume
Pick them up. Listen to the exact same set of music you used originally and write down your observations.
Do more burn in for another 25 hours or so.
Once more, pick them up and listen to the exact same set of music you used.

Kindly let us know your observations with details please. Don't just say nothing happened.
And don't lie to yourself
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #69 of 207
Tyll over at InnerFidelity has done an extensive experiment on burn in and his conclusion was that it's more of a psychological effect than anything else. That's all I have to say.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #70 of 207
Better yet, get two pairs of these. Leave one unburned and  burn the other for 100 hours or so on bass and treble tracks at fairly high volume.  Now if you tell me nothing changed then there might be something wrong with your ears. I have two of these by the way and did as stated. The differences are very distinct.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #71 of 207
Quote:
Tyll over at InnerFidelity has done an extensive experiment on burn in and his conclusion was that it's more of a psychological effect than anything else. That's all I have to say.

Well, I have the same opinion to all of my other gear, had no noticeable improvement after burnin for several hundreds of hours. But this one changes a lot with burn-in. I still have 2 different burned in states of MH1C, A/Bing with same song, same source, same tips, there is a difference, not a really drastic one, but a noticeable one still.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #72 of 207
I've been doing a bit of reading on random interweb links and it seems like it's well acknowledged that the brain is remarkable at adapting to new headphones within minutes.  First impressions however are glaringly inaccurate and your memory even more so after listening to it for a while.  I've also read some slides that says their studies show equal loudness contour for people vary greatly (to the point of significant difference on chart) so it's not necessarily that what sounds good will sound good to someone else even after adaptation.  

What if our silicon tips get softer over time and achieve better fit etc?  Either way even if it is psychological, if it makes you think it sounds better (for free!) then that's awesome.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #73 of 207
I've been doing a bit of reading on random interweb links and it seems like it's well acknowledged that the brain is remarkable at adapting to new headphones within minutes.  First impressions however are glaringly inaccurate and your memory even more so after listening to it for a while.  I've also read some slides that says their studies show equal loudness contour for people vary greatly (to the point of significant difference on chart) so it's not necessarily that what sounds good will sound good to someone else even after adaptation.  

What if our silicon tips get softer over time and achieve better fit etc?  Either way even if it is psychological, if it makes you think it sounds better (for free!) then that's awesome.

The above posts are by people who have 2 sets of mh1c's at different states of burn-in. Seems pretty definitive to me.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #75 of 207
@Han Bao Quan,

Subjective Testing for the Audibility of Break-In Effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxdOEpiCTs

By Tyll by the way...

Interesting considering this article pretty much says otherwise.
Note the video was uploaded in September 2011, the article was written in Jan 2012

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break\
His bottom line is "The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back