SONY MDR-XB700 HEADPHONES, any reviews?
May 30, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #31 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone finds a store other than futureshop or sonystyle with an actual storefront in Canada that sells the xb700's please let me know.

I got a gift card for future shop and i really wanna get these, using their lowest price guarantee -- the thing is they only price match with canadian stores, and not online retailers.

Actually, with the wonderful world of Futureshop, it's really YMMV--all depends on the manager or the associate you talk to. I remember reading about this before, they're supposed to pricematch any price including online retailers. The only caveat is that if the store online isn't in the local neighborhood or in stock out of town, they will match item price + next day shipping to you. At least that's how they're supposed to. If these come back in stock, you could get a print out of the quote and try some other places. Check out RFD for people's experiences.

May 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #32 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so how did you talk them into selling you these cans for less?
I live in QC and people don't think the same way they do in the English provinces.
I want to buy this model...

Basically, it went like this:

I went to one of the representatives there (Actually, it's best to go to those who are desperate to sell you anything) and I told him. "I want to buy these headphones" (they had the XB700 right there in store).

Then I said, "The problem is that I found the same exact product from an online Canadian retailer that sells them for much cheaper but I'd like to buy them from this store since I'm already here."

The representative then told me to show him the site on one of the laptops. I typed in "frontierpc.com", searched for XB700, and showed it to him. He checked to see how much shipping would be. Luckily, he didn't see they were out of stock.

He then went to talk to the manager, came back and said, "If I give them to you for $140, will you buy them right now?" I said, "Yep" and I went on my merry way.

I was actually quite shocked since last year when I bought my laptop, I wanted them to price match since the laptop was on sale at Best Buy (I think I said Future Shop earlier but it was in fact Best Buy). They wouldn't even budge after showing them online and the flier. Their loss, I got the laptop cheaper and a free printer from Best Buy.

May 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #33 of 145
is it possible to buy the ear pads somewhere?
ksc75smile.gif

so the 500 carry the same exact pads, but not the 300?

May 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #34 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it possible to buy the ear pads somewhere?
ksc75smile.gif

so the 500 carry the same exact pads, but not the 300?

700 pads are bigger than the 500
Well, the 300 are more like supra-aural.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #35 of 145
i wish sony would sell the xb700 pads... i'm sure it will be a good mod for someone with huge size ears... not me...^^

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #37 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm digging through several sources to obtain them
tongue.gif

But why do you think they will be more comfortable then your Beyer leather pads?

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #39 of 145
I just got a pair. Future shop pricematched with this site even though it's out of stock:
shopRBC.com]http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/produ...30]shopRBC.com ($108 CAD, with storefront)

and I paid only $101. If they weren't gonna do that one I had some other stores...

$103 CAD, online only: Agile Electronics - Buy Mfgs Part-#:MDRXB700 online in Canada

$120 CAD,with storefront: MDRXB700 MDR-XB700 Sony Full Size / Over-Ear - at TechDepotCanada.Com

As far as sound goes, the bass sounds great, and the mids/highs sound good but not as good as my Shure SE110's. Mind you, I don't have a headphone amp, and these haven't been "burned in" yet... if that's a real phenomenon.

Bottom line: they're uber comfy, look kinda silly on my head but i don't care, and they are very solidly built. Well worth the money.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #40 of 145
ahhhhhhhhhhh, uber comfy
smily_headphones1.gif

SONY doesn't sell the pads separately, and it can be had for 80 EUR on ebay...is it worth it for the pads only? how do they fit in the cans btw? compatible w/ the DT770 by any chance?

hah, the cable is only 4 ft...that's friggin's short!

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #41 of 145
Ive auditioned all 3 of these at the local sony style store here and I would say that they are good headphones for the market they are going for.

I had my ES7s to compare with while i was there. Overall all the cans are comfy, the 700 and the 300 more so than the 500 because my ears felt a bit confined.

The pads are indeed for lack of a better word, squishy. But i could imagine myself falling asleep with them on.

To cut to the point, The 300s sound much less muddy than the other cans but the sound is a bit muddy over the whole spectrum for all the cans, at least compared to the es7, which should be expected. The bass impact is also lacking. At lower volumes the bass is alot less muddy but you begin to hear outside noise with out the bass to cancel it out.

The sound differences between the 700 and 500 are very very subtle but overall its just a slight difference in sound stage, with the 700 having a tad more separation over the 500.

They are all "fun" cans and they look good. Maybe I would recommend them as decent airplane cans, especially for long flights.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #42 of 145
Having played with the EQ and plugging them into a proper amplifier I completely change what I said before... these sound absolutely incredible. Amazing bass as well as treble.

Take it for what it's worth -- the most reliable reviews probably don't come from someone who just bought the product. And i concede that i haven't listened to more expensive headphones, sennheisers, etc, before. But these definitely don't lack bass impact.

leeperry: My instruction book says the pads are available direct from sony, if that helps at all. It's a pretty new product so maybe they're temporarily lying though.. who knows.

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #45 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by limin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you're they're inferior to headphones that cost double as much and are comparable to headphones in their price range. I guess sony accepts your apology

I know my post sounded very negative but reality is that I LOVE these headphones for portable use.

They are better than HD485 and K81DJ in every way. I can't really compare them to MS1 because they sound totally different. If you really like bass you'd go for XB700. I get equal enjoyment out of MS1 and XB700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back