SONY MDR-XB700 HEADPHONES, any reviews?
Jun 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #61 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good point! but I'll find a way to fit them
dt880smile.png

lol Win ! Skylab should take a gander at these.

More importantly, how is the sound ? I have beyer leather pads in wait for my next D770s but these look very very interesting. I'd imagine they'd make the sound more bassy.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #62 of 145
well more bass, yes! but I'd need Pro forks to counterbalance the crazy thickness...trying to get a hold of these
smily_headphones1.gif

the Manufaktur genuine leather pads inner diameter is larger than on these, but after a while the Manufaktur tend to clamp the back of my ears too much...these one don't seem to.

but they're pleather, and it gets hot quicker than leather..and I can't angle them, I'm an angling drivers whore
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #63 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well more bass, yes! but I'd need Pro forks to counterbalance the crazy thickness...trying to get a hold of these
smily_headphones1.gif

the Manufaktur genuine leather pads inner diameter is larger than on these, but after a while the Manufaktur tend to clamp the back of my ears too much...these one don't seem to.

but they're pleather, and it gets hot quicker than leather..and I can't angle them, I'm an angling drivers whore
smily_headphones1.gif

Tempted to pick up the XB700 if I can find it below $60 or so. Been looking for some interim closed back headphones when I parted ways with my 770s. At the very least I will have pillow cases for my future Beyers
icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #64 of 145
hurm if you do that way, u have to change the headband, which you did, if not, the regular ultrasone heaband clamping force plus the extra thickness of the pad will crush your skull into pancake. Is there no way to just use the XB700 case? I mean transfer the driver? The XB700 driver is 50mm and pro750 is 40mm if i'm not mistaken, same with my hfi780.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #65 of 145
btw, can you give us pictures how you take off the xb700 pads and how the pads stick? thanks

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #67 of 145
So I got my XB700.
Despite that they are big and deep, the earpads are not wide enough for my ears.
On top of that, the headphone clamps a lot, pressing the legs of my glasses against my head. The pleather is sticky.
They are not comfortable at all. I keep them shifting on my head.

As for sound, on my headphone amp they sounded awful. Probably a impedance mismatch.
On the Denon pre-amp, they sounded actually quite good.
The bass is well controlled, and not overwhelming. Sort of a Denon D2000 bass, but better.
Mids and soundstage are okay. They lack a bit in de the highs, detail good be better, but they are also not sibilant. The latter being a virtue.
All in all, comfort is disappointing, sound is surprisingly good.
I will return them.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #68 of 145
This morning I listened to the new A Camp album "Colonia" through the XB700s and my Sonett amplifier on the Low setting. Bass is strong and deep. Vocals aren't as clear and pure as beyer DT880 or DT931 but still alright. On occasion I heard some sibilance which is probably in the recording and not ear piercing.

I find them very comfortable to wear and use.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #70 of 145
I've had Sony MDR-7506 headphones for years, even before I got into audiophile headphones and amps for fun. I love them. They just sound good. I've always joked that it's hard to tell which I prefer: my Grados / Ultrasones / Denons / Beyers through my PPA, using an NAD CD player and diamondback cables.....or my Sony 7506's through my Discman, with the Mega-Bass on 1.
happy_face1.gif

Usually the fancy rig wins in overall clarity and soundstage.

These new Sony headphones sound very tempting...I listen to rock almost exclusively. I bet I'd like the XB0700s a lot.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #72 of 145
Question: Can the DT770 ear pads fit the XB700's? I have the XB700's and the pads suck, but I love the SQ. Any help would really be appreciated, thanks!!!!

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #73 of 145
All I can say is WOW. I tried many different headphones from bestbuy around the same price range, and nothing else compares. The bass is clean, crisp, and dead-on accurate. The highs and mids do not get drowned out almost at all. I'm sure after a couple weeks they'll sound even better as headphones need some time to break in and bring out their true quality.

IMHO the bottom line is these are the best headphones you could get in this price range, and at $80 (no tax + free shipping) they're a steal. Now I just need an extension cord
L3000.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #74 of 145
I bought the XB300's about 3 weeks ago at a Sony Store in an outlet mall, all headphone were 30% off so I got them for around 35$ including tax. I wasn't really looking for headphones that day, so the 30% off promotion kind of caught me unprepared, and so I didn't have time to think things over.

I'm pretty happy with the XB300's, especially because of the price (that's like 25€ for me, and in Italy, where I live, these headphone are selling for 50€, about 75$). I have some money set aside, and I was wondering if I should keep these for outdoor use and buy me a set of XB700's for when I'm at the computer. I'm a basshead, and although I listen to many different types of music, I only use my ipod/Sony Ericsson walkman phone / Computer integrated amps, and so I think it might be a bit useless to buy a real good pair of headphones (I was looking at something like Senn HD595 or HD238).

Is there a real huge difference in performance when it comes to bass between the XB300's and the XB700's? I was looking at the frequency charts on HeadRoom and the X700's just amaze me, and it seems that I would be getting a lot more bass from them, and a better overall experience compared to the XB300's.

What do you think? Thanks for the help

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #75 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehblizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a real huge difference in performance when it comes to bass between the XB300's and the XB700's? I was looking at the frequency charts on HeadRoom and the X700's just amaze me, and it seems that I would be getting a lot more bass from them, and a better overall experience compared to the XB300's.

What do you think? Thanks for the help

See this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-xb700-417226/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back