SONY MDR-XB700 HEADPHONES, any reviews?
Oct 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #76 of 145
I have the Beats by Dre and the Sony MDR-XB700 and let my just say that the Sony get way more head time than the Beats. However the Beats get taken out more simply because they look nicer. If I can find a better portable set for outside use I will most likely give my Beats to one of my family members. Got them for 120$ so was wondering if the Senns HD 238 for 36$ would be it.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #77 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-xb700-417226/

Well, it looks like these are the right headphones for me! I think I'll keep the XB300's for when I want to go out in public, and use the XB700's for when I'm at home (which is most of the time). Now, I need to find the best price available in Italy, which seems to be 119€ (180$). Maybe I should try to get them online from a european website, I could probably find them for less.

Not having any good amps (my home stereo system is pretty old and not too good), I think I should just go for something simple, and these headphones look like they can be driven by pretty much any portable music device.

Thanks for the help, if anyone has more advice go ahead and let me know, I check the forum every day!
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #78 of 145
They finally arrived, got them for 95€ shipped from amazon.co.uk.

They sound better than the XB300's for sure, I'm trying to figure out how much of it is because the XB300's are on ear and how much of it is because the driver on the 700's is bigger. For now I'm liking them, but I need more time to test them
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #79 of 145
I can't decide between XB300 and XB700.
If i knew XB700 would sound better on my equipment then ofc the choise would be simple: XB700.
But, i will basically only use the headphones with my PC, and i have no amp at all, i only have a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard, so would XB700 just get "sufficated" because it doesn't get enough "juice"? While the XB300 would sound better because it does get enough juice?

I hope somebody can help me to decide..

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #80 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird_CaD_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't decide between XB300 and XB700.
If i knew XB700 would sound better on my equipment then ofc the choise would be simple: XB700.
But, i will basically only use the headphones with my PC, and i have no amp at all, i only have a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard, so would XB700 just get "sufficated" because it doesn't get enough "juice"? While the XB300 would sound better because it does get enough juice?

I hope somebody can help me to decide..

I think your soundcart will give enough 'juice' to the high sensitive XB700.
In my opinion you should invest in the better XB700.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #81 of 145
Quote:

I think your soundcart will give enough 'juice' to the high sensitive XB700.
In my opinion you should invest in the better XB700.

Ok, but what about the bass, does the XB700 have stronger bass than XB300? I really like bass..
And the impedance on XB300 and XB700 is the same: 24 ohm, does that mean they are equally "easy to power"?
And it's weird that the XB500 have a impedance of 40 ohm, that means it's most hard to give XB500 enough juice?

Thanks for the fast reply by the way, keep the replies coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #82 of 145
I have both of them and if I were you I'd go for the XB700's, especially if you will be using them with your pc. They are great for that kind of use, the XB300's aren't bad but they aren't as comfy and they are on hear, not closed. I use my XB300's when I'm out because the XB700's are huge (and a bit heavy too) and I don't want to be walking around with them on.

If you have any other questions go ahead and ask, I'll try to asnwer you as best as I can!

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #83 of 145
Quote:

Ok, but what about the bass, does the XB700 have stronger bass than XB300? I really like bass..
And the impedance on XB300 and XB700 is the same: 24 ohm, does that mean they are equally "easy to power"?
And it's weird that the XB500 have a impedance of 40 ohm, that means it's most hard to give XB500 enough juice?

Thanks for the fast reply by the way, keep the replies coming
smily_headphones1.gif

I never heard the XB300, but from what I've read, the bass is worse and more overpowering. So the XB700 will have a better quality bass.
Impedance from 24 to 40 ohm won't have any different impact.
The sensitivity of the headphones is more important.
When I had the XB700, they were easily driven by the headphone out of a pre-amp.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #84 of 145
Quote:

I never heard the XB300, but from what I've read, the bass is worse and more overpowering. So the XB700 will have a better quality bass.
Impedance from 24 to 40 ohm won't have any different impact.
The sensitivity of the headphones is more important.
When I had the XB700, they were easily driven by the headphone out of a pre-amp.

I think that one of the main difference between the bass quality is the fact that the XB300's are on ear, and the XB700's are closed. The closed earpads really help!
L3000.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #85 of 145
Ok hehe, i like this forum =)

This reminds me of the Sennheiser CX series in-ear headphones: CX300 have more bass than CX400 but the bass on CX400 have better quality ^^

Hmm, i like bass so maybe overpowered is a good thing for me? hehe..

tehblizz: so are you saying that the XB300 doesn't have that much more bass than XB700?

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #86 of 145
Quote:

Ok hehe, i like this forum =)

This reminds me of the Sennheiser CX series in-ear headphones: CX300 have more bass than CX400 but the bass on CX400 have better quality ^^

Hmm, i like bass so maybe overpowered is a good thing for me? hehe..

tehblizz: so are you saying that the XB300 doesn't have that much more bass than XB700?

There isn't a HUGE difference, but there is one and you can notice it. If you will be using them with your pc (games, music, movies) I'd go for the XB700's without a doubt. Just keep in mind that they are pretty big and a bit heavy, so I don't recommend you buying these if you plan on going around with them (that's why I bought the XB300's).

The 300's surprised me, I got them for only 35$ and so I was very happy! But if I were you I'd go for the 700's, you won't be disappointed and if you ever happen to try a pair of 300's you'll hear the difference.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #87 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehblizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't a HUGE difference, but there is one and you can notice it. If you will be using them with your pc (games, music, movies) I'd go for the XB700's without a doubt. Just keep in mind that they are pretty big and a bit heavy, so I don't recommend you buying these if you plan on going around with them (that's why I bought the XB300's).

The 300's surprised me, I got them for only 35$ and so I was very happy! But if I were you I'd go for the 700's, you won't be disappointed and if you ever happen to try a pair of 300's you'll hear the difference.

Ok i will buy the XB700 then =)
Also i saw that XB700 have a little bit bigger sensitivity than XB300, so maybe it's actually easier for my soundcard to power the XB700 than the XB300?
regular_smile .gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #88 of 145
Quote:

Ok i will buy the XB700 then =)
Also i saw that XB700 have a little bit bigger sensitivity than XB300, so maybe it's actually easier for my soundcard to power the XB700 than the XB300?
regular_smile .gif

Both pairs are easy to drive, don't worry, your computer will do a good job!
bigsmile_face.gif
For these prices, the XB line are a good choice if you are looking for something that will work well with pre-amps!
atsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #89 of 145
Saw a little problem with these XB headphones.. the cord is extremely short.
The cord wont even reach my PC which is right next to me, so i have to buy a extension cord somewhere..
Why did they make the cord this short, i don't understand..

But a extension cord which is like 1,8 m long doesn't affect the sound quality, right?
Hehe sry if it's a stupid question, i'm a newbie at this stuff..

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #90 of 145
I actually love the cord. It's flat, short and doesn't get tangled up in anything! I don't know about the sound quality with an extension cord, it might loose a bit but I don't think it will make a big difference. Let's see is someone more experienced can answer that question!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back