SONY MDR-XB700 HEADPHONES, any reviews?
Sep 3, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #136 of 145
I own both XB700 and XB500 and I personally prefer XB500 for the bass and the slightly more aggressive sound signature and smoother highs. Without EQing I think I'd prefer the highs of XB700 but when both EQd optimally I prefer the XB500 (so it seems XB500 has more EQ potential to me). For me when the XB500 is appropriately EQd (needs quite a boost for highs and slight decrease at especially 125~500Hz) it sounds very natural especially the highs (I don't concider cans like grado or ultrasone natural sounding due to excess brightness in the highs). Now don't get me wrong though I'm not looking for studio flat response curve either cuz I actually dislike the sound of such and XBs aren't such but they are damn fun headphones though for bassheads.

How much I'd love to find an even better sounding headphone according to my preferences (agressive sound signature, BIG bass both punchy and deep, smooth highs and natural full non-recessed sounding mids)  it doesn't seem to exist so I'll go with XB500 for now cuz they are the closest to that description I've tested. :)

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #137 of 145
are the xb500's really better than the xb700's?

I bought my xb700's for 100 dollars off of ebay and they are real.  I live in Canada so its way more expensive to buy headphones here.  If anybody wants to buy these headphones ebay is a good place to buy them, make sure the dealer is good and not from china. almost always if its from china its fake

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #139 of 145

Quote:
XB500 is better for bass. It just has more of it.

XB700 is better for highs. General SQ a bit better.

Here, check out this graph of the two compared:

More bass is not the same as better / high quality bass.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #140 of 145

Quote:
are the xb500's really better than the xb700's?

There's an easy answer to this like many people around here should understand if they already haven't. It's down to personal preference.

I've already stated the difference between XB500 and XB700, XB500 has more impact and punchy bass (which will make it seem bassier because punch & impact to the bass stands out more in songs than very deep sub-bass which XB700 mainly focuses on and most songs doesn't even have <70Hz bass either so). However XB500 is very capable just like XB700 of the deepest bass you can find or hear, but since XB700 has so much less punchy or mid to upper bass the deep soft bass will stand out more on XB700 and on XB500 the mid to upper bass covers more the deep bass in comparision. Both have similar sounding mids which happen to sound a lot better than many even 3x expensier headphones IMO too, no noteworthy difference here. Difference in highs is quite dramatic though like in the bass, XB700 by default will have a lot more sparkle or audible high frequencies while XB500 is very smooth or "muddy" sounding (like some Grado user prolly would say). However IMO it would be wrong to say XB700 has better highs cuz they are more sparkly or boosted than on XB500 because in my ears this isn't really a wanted effect, I don't hear this "sparkling" in reality either when listening to some1 talking, I think XB500 sounded more natural in comparision. Again it's all down to personal preferences, I don't like very bright/sparkling highs but some other people do. In my ears it's just easier to listen to the smoother highs of XB500 (if EQ'd a bit because un-EQd they will be too smooth making it sound too muddy). Due to the smoother highs I find many songs just sounding more "full" or warm or soothing. Overall sound signature is also warmer or more aggressive or in-your-face (I try to use different wording in hoping at least some people will understand what I'm trying to describe :p think Grados or Ultrasone sound signature) and XB700 is a bit more laid back (compare Sennheiser HD-650 or BeyerDynamic DT880 style but not exactly that much laid-back ofc :p). But an important thing to note is that if choosing a XB500 you should only do it if you're using it with a source that has at least a decent equalizer, I'm sure whatever sound signature preferences you have, it's highly likely that you might find them to sound a bit too smooth/muddy unequalized even if you're a person like me that generally prefers a bit smoother highs.

Since we all have our different preferences in sound, it's impossible to say which is better, you need to know what kind of sound YOU prefer. A $1000 headphone doesn't have to sound better for me than my $50 XB500. I'm very aware of what kind of sound I prefer myself now after testing 7 very different closed bassheavy headphones. Unfortunately it's almost the only way to figure out what you like, simply by trying out different headphones and then you'll start to realize what people mean by things like aggressive or laid-back sound etc. and it'll be easier to both recommend headphones for your personal preferences or you should be able to easier dig out the information you need to make the correct purchase.

XB700 is better for people that prefer:

- Lots of deep bass and without lots of mid-upper bass that causes impact or punch
- Laid-back sound signature
- Boosted highs, making them more sparkly/crisp etc.

XB500 is better for people that prefer:

- Lots of bass with both deep bass and mid-upper bass that causes punch & impact to it as well
- Aggressive/warm/in-your-face sound signature
- Smooth highs

Of what I've so far gathered around these forums from different threads it seems XB500 have quite unique sound signature, it doesn't seem to be a common mix with both aggressive sound signature and very smooth highs. Not to mention the big bass quantity and the lovely comfortable cushion pads.

EDIT: Forgot to mention about music genres. If personal preferences are put to side the XB700 sound signature in general tends to fit more well with genres like classical, jazz, blues and instrumental etc. while XB500 is usually more fit for techno, trance, dance, club, hip-hop, pop. Rock is somewhere in the middle, difficult to say which of these handles it better.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #141 of 145
Thank you both for your replies.  I'm not sure if I should have gotten the xb500's since i listen to hip hop, but so far i'm really liking the xb700's.  The comfort of the xb700s is ridiculous.  I have the ath-m50s and i can't put them on anymore because they feel like they are squishing my head.  I never had this problem, but after putting on the xb700's it started.  The heat is not that huge if you are sitting down.  Since the ath-m50s were pressing against my head so hard they actually caused more sweat and heat.  The bass is great on these, i can hear it a lot more than in the ath-m50s.  Great cans for the price

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #142 of 145
I have these. I use my iPad via USB out using the sd reader and fiio e7.

The sound great with opera, jazz, pop, rock, dance, soul, r and b and classical.

Extremely great value for money.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #143 of 145
just go with you instinct.  The xb700 are good headphones and goes with most genre that require bass. I agree with you about the sweat issue.  Although the pad of the xb700 are bigger they don't make you sweat like the M50.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #144 of 145
Just bought a pair of refurbished XB700 for just south of $70 w/ 2day shipping. Excited to try them out once they arrive, all this bass will be a nice change from my HD 580s.  I wonder how my Indeed hybrid amp will handle these low impedance cans.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #145 of 145

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by oohms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- bass overpowers pretty much everything else
- bass isn't super tight (not super flabby either)

That's not my impressions. I was surprised by the good, punchy and definitely not overpowering bass. And I'm not a basshead, for example I hated the bass overload of the Denon AH-D2000 and the Beyer DT770 Pro 80 ohm.

I have to agree with this. I got the XB500 and just ordered a pair of XB700 today. The XB500 bass is unbeleavable, but it does NOT overpower the rest of the frequency spectrum (especially if EQ'ed as I do with ALL my phones). I've just upgraded as I was told the XB700 have better soundstage and sparkly highs (although LESS mid bass impact - but DEEPER bass). I hope I won't miss the UNREAL bass of the XB500, but besides the FUN, I do appreciate very detailed mids and highs (accostumed to IEMs like the UM3X, SM3, etc). I'm relatively new to the headpnone world, but have tried countless top-tier IEMs, so I know what "high-end" means. The XB500 are not up there in terms of treble, but they give me MUCH more fun than any of the IEMs I've owned (and still own). I did not have this fun since the Hippo VB old days, but the XB500 bass can't compare (MUCH more powerful and impactful) and mids and treble are superior. Can't wait for the XB700. Something tells me they are a better buy than the 250€ XB1000's
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back