SONY MDR-XB700 HEADPHONES, any reviews?
Dec 28, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 145
Some great photos of the XB700 here. The specs look like Sony, very technical, but who knows if they sound great also?

Sony Unveils 5 New Headphone and Earphone Models : Akihabara News .com

Good Gear Guide wrote this. XB700 is made for the bass lover, if you love explosive bass from the inconsiderate immature brats with their subwoofers shaking their little cars so you can hear them rattle by, you will love the XB700. I took some liberty in my description of the brats. I'm thinking Sony designed the headphones to attract the morons looking for cool. Continues on to say the pads are comfy, but heavy, your neck may feel fatigue. The treble and mids seem good, except the Bass will romp all over them.

Sounds like you might as well just buy a Bose Triport which are cheaper probably and hell lot more comfortable, your neck won't be fatigued.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some great photos of the XB700 here. The specs look like Sony, very technical, but who knows if they sound great also?

Sony Unveils 5 New Headphone and Earphone Models : Akihabara News .com

Good Gear Guide wrote this. XB700 is made for the bass lover, if you love explosive bass from the inconsiderate immature brats with their subwoofers shaking their little cars so you can hear them rattle by, you will love the XB700. I took some liberty in my description of the brats. I'm thinking Sony designed the headphones to attract the morons looking for cool. Continues on to say the pads are comfy, but heavy, your neck may feel fatigue. The treble and mids seem good, except the Bass will romp all over them.

Sounds like you might as well just buy a Bose Triport which are cheaper probably and hell lot more comfortable, your neck won't be fatigued.

The XBstands for extra bass..PC world gave them 3 1/2 stars..Biggest plus..Bass never distorts, even at very high volume.. The bad, the bass with drowned out the midrange with bass heavy music.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 145
I' ve read a short review of the xb700 that seems rather positive.
It seems that sony tried to make some involving headphones rather than trying to make them with neutral sound, here is a quick translation.

Quote:

I was doubtful when I came to test this headphone....

But those impressively large earpads(there is 30mm of earpad between you and the drivers) actually had a nice feeling and were actually very comfortable.
The cable look as if it was a flat lan cable. Quite a change from the usual cables. They certainly are easy to handle and don't twine easily, this may actually be a good idea.

At the part hidden by the headband there is an opening which allows sound to leak so it doesn’t have great isolation.

About the sound.

The bass are certainly impressive.
But contrary to what I expected the impression of sound balance isn't bad.
Around 2khz (the top of the usual vocal band) feels elevated to keep the balance.

I don't think there is much problem with vocals but around 800 there is a slight recession which might make it sound a little bit unnatural depending on the musics.

The highs are unexpectedly not bad but maybe due to the large side of the pad there might be a feeling of resonnance.

They should be very suited for pop, rock, techno etc..
It also has much power for the orchestra but due to the resonnance symbals might have a problem.
It has character and I think that they should continue this serie.
And with the actual street price of around 10000 yen this is very good.

img218mz4.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 145
I posted about them earlier. I'm enjoying them as a more relaxed, less analytical set of cans. I was looking at them primarily as a potential replacement to my aging Eggos and have been pretty happy with them thus far.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 145
I think XB700 is great for the price.
I really like them.
The pads are a bit bigger than GS1000's.
My only complain is the cable is too short.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 145
They look nice and well built. Is the cord detachable?

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 145
Feb 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look nice and well built. Is the cord detachable?

No, the cord is not detachable.
The built q/c is very good indeed.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 145
Why all the SPAM, freakmax?

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 145
Damn, imageshack sucks then.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 145
I am listening to these at the moment. I was just playing Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole. This track has insane bassline and its a good test for bassy headphones. Sony claims these headphones were made for music like Drum&Bass, dub, hip hop.

Well I am sorry to say this Sony but bass on 770pro is still better. Its deeper, has better impact and basshead like me still prefers 770pro. Shame on you Sony. Next time when you claim they're made for Drum&Bass make sure the bass is as good or better than 770pro/80 WHEN PLAYING DRUM&BASS. That is all.

I don't think the bass is that much better than K81DJ to be honest.

Now don't get me wrong they are very bassy and I'd say they have 90% 770 bass, but I totally expected better bass than 770pro. Sony marketing ftw.

May 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 145
I dont have a headphone to compare but heard a lot about the old dt770 famous for its bass. How about in terms of quantitiy and quality of the bass in comparison with old dt770? Is the mids recessed at all. Some say the highs has SSSiblance, some say recessed (i dont know how it can be both). I do have atrios however. If i wanted more bass for home usage and comfort, should i buy these??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back