Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG
Sep 19, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #451 of 505
Sounds like an amazing headphone.  I might just have to splurge and buy it.  I would love a comparison between these and the D2000

Quote:
The bass is unlike anything I've ever heard in headphones, it really goes all the way down in the frequency. I would say its not bloated or overemphasized, its tight and it makes its presence felt. I say its not overemphasized because it doesn't make you tired of listening. They are very comfortable. I cannot compare them to the XB 500/700, so I cannot say if it is worth the extra $$, but if you want to get the best in bass, you probably want this.

What I like most about these headphones is that unlike most bassy headphones the highs aren't too pronounced. My DT 990 600 ohms had great bass, but I could hardly turn the volume up or listen for extended periods of time because the high frequencies would bother my ears (keep in mind I am 21 years old, I think people who don't notice this or aren't bothered by it are usually older). These make you want to turn the volume up. WAY up. They sound great loud (E7 + E9) but as others have mentioned, you have to keep in mind you might be hurting your ears if you keep the volume up for a long time. However, it really does feel like you are in the middle of a professionally tuned dance floor (like DJ amtrax said) when you're "inside" of these headphones. They are so big and sound so good loud that it really feels like you are in there.

Amazing for electronica, superb for dubstep. Rock can sound pretty good cause you really feel the drums kick, but obviously if you're considering these headphones this can't be the genre you are most concerned about. It seems to be like the vocals are a bit recessed, but I don't think any headphones focused on bass are different. Besides its not bad enough that it takes away from the music (Regina Spektor still sounds great). It just takes the attention away from the singer and drives it towards the drums and bass guitar.

I would say that if you like bass but you don't like headphones that sound too sharp, this choice is perfect for you, especially if electronica is your thing.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #452 of 505
@Croozer I need help from a fellow Denon fanboy! 
tongue_smile.gif

Any comparisons to the Denon you'd like to share?

I finally got a chance to run my XB's side by side with my Denon D7K, as expected the D7K's excel in all areas, they do everything the XB's do but with more refinement and a better overall sound.

The XB 1000 is a great set of cans for its intended usage and for its price range, It would be interesting to see someone do a A/B comparo with the Denon D2K.

I believe Sony designed these as 'Beats' killers.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #454 of 505
If anybody is interested, I am selling a pair for $250obo...it is just too much bass for me =p  Please feel free to shoot me some offers 

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #456 of 505
The Pro900s produce less bass in my opinion, and yes it is true that you can get them for $200 new...but that is from a really shady website that has been known not to even ship the item.  Plus they are always out of stock.  Therefore I feel that $250 shipped ($240 base price) is a fair deal.  

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #457 of 505

Quote:
Sounds like an amazing headphone.  I might just have to splurge and buy it.  I would love a comparison between these and the D2000

I've owned the D2000s, and now I own the D7000s. I have to be honest, the XB1000s were not close to as awesome as I heard head'fi'erz rave about here (at least to my ears). They are without a doubt much better than the XB700s and 500s (which I have also owned), but they are not a overall better headphone than the D2000s (they don't come close to the D7000s, not even a fair comparison so I'll leave that out).

As far as bass, in my experience it has a unique bass in that its not loud or thumping like the XB500s or even the Denons, but it creates a suction cup like feeling on your ear drum and pulls it in and out... Its def a weird feeling (kinda cool) but not cool enough to merit the expensive price tag on the XB1000s and beyond their bass their clarity really doesn't match up to other headphones in the price range. I posted somewhere else if they were being sold for $200 I would consider keeping it, but I paid $350 and they were not worth it, there are so many other headphones that can be purchased for that price that would blow the XB1000s out of the water, even for dub-step/electronic/hip hop music (namely ultrasone pro line, sen hd650s, any Denon Dx000).

I want to finish off by saying I really wanted to like the XB1000s, the pictures made them seem rad, the reviews made them seem awesome, but once I finally got them and compared them to my current phones and previous ones I had owned, they just didn't match up. Plus the coolness factor of their huge ear pads gets old really fast.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #458 of 505
Guys i sold my Sennheiser 598 because i want a closed headphones (maybe circumaural).
Now i'm looking for some good pair, and i fallen in love with Sony MDR XB 1000. They look really great (i suppose great it's the best adjective to describe them :D).
But i've two questions.... i listen mainly rock, alternative, psychedelic, metal (Pink Floyd, Metallica, Stone Temple Pilots, Gun's n Roses, Coldplay, ecc) so how good are these ones for me?
And do i need an amp? (i don't have one).

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #459 of 505

Quote:
I've owned the D2000s, and now I own the D7000s. I have to be honest, the XB1000s were not close to as awesome as I heard head'fi'erz rave about here (at least to my ears). They are without a doubt much better than the XB700s and 500s (which I have also owned), but they are not a overall better headphone than the D2000s (they don't come close to the D7000s, not even a fair comparison so I'll leave that out).

As far as bass, in my experience it has a unique bass in that its not loud or thumping like the XB500s or even the Denons, but it creates a suction cup like feeling on your ear drum and pulls it in and out... Its def a weird feeling (kinda cool) but not cool enough to merit the expensive price tag on the XB1000s and beyond their bass their clarity really doesn't match up to other headphones in the price range. I posted somewhere else if they were being sold for $200 I would consider keeping it, but I paid $350 and they were not worth it, there are so many other headphones that can be purchased for that price that would blow the XB1000s out of the water, even for dub-step/electronic/hip hop music (namely ultrasone pro line, sen hd650s, any Denon Dx000).

I want to finish off by saying I really wanted to like the XB1000s, the pictures made them seem rad, the reviews made them seem awesome, but once I finally got them and compared them to my current phones and previous ones I had owned, they just didn't match up. Plus the coolness factor of their huge ear pads gets old really fast.

Thank you for candid views. For multi-genres music, XB1000 really is not the best choice. It really fascinates me for re-creating a big dance club sound. Even I have beloved Denon 5000: I can honestly say, I can't forget about how XB1000 sounds. It's still on top of my toy list.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #460 of 505

Quote:
Thank you for candid views. For multi-genres music, XB1000 really is not the best choice. It really fascinates me for re-creating a big dance club sound. Even I have beloved Denon 5000: I can honestly say, I can't forget about how XB1000 sounds. It's still on top of my toy list.

Sorry this is where I still have to disagree... I listen to dance and electronic music 90% of the time and the reason I even tried these headphones is because reviewers on headfi kept stating how great they are for electronic / techno, but I still hold my ground that the denon d7000 sound the best for electronic music ( from what Ive heard) the XB1000s didn't come close, and I really think that ultrasone pros or and denon D series outdo the XBs both all around and for electronic club music.. The XBs may get loud but they still lack the clarity of ultrasone and the musicality of the denons. But I have to say that the denon 7000s sound way better than the 2000s for electronic, having owned both. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #462 of 505
I lovvvveee mY xb1000 they sound great with the music i like BUT omg do the leak i let my friend use them and i caould hear EVERY WORD in the songs he was playing..but hey dont care bout that if yournaround when i have them on then o well sucks for u. Lol

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #463 of 505
if anybody is interested, i have a pair for sale right now...willing to negotiate sale price too

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #464 of 505
well what make your ears hurt more strong sound of tingling, canny highs and mids or the head hurting, nose bleeding lows? well i like it like it is that the highs arent as pronounced cause prolong using in high volume is irritating, highs i mean, well you get it. just like how i hate hearing those mobile phones radios blurting out transistor like sounds. or those wanna be sound systems on scooters or motor bikes. if your a bass head this is your dream cans. of your looking for something with better highs then dont look this way. and i can safely say XB series is one of  most comfortable cans. and please stop complaining how headphones feel uncomfortable. anything you put on your body for prolonged period of time would be uncomfortable. give anything a break in to match your head. and yes when you walk the streets with these you get more looks than walking around with any other cans. like oh is there a star wars convention somewhere? get ready for the stares, the jokes, the admiration. hell get ready for the attention.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #465 of 505
I still very much would like to see a frequency response graph for these with Sony listing the specs as reaching down to 2 Hz. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back