Sony MDR-V6 Opinions
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #46 of 90
You'll see from my responses what I would advise. It's up to you, of course. Normally the V6 is less expensive (usually somewhere around $65-$70 on Amazon) than any of the alternatives I mentioned earlier, but most of them will be right around the $100 price point. You're the boss. What exactly are you looking for, anyhow? Like, what genres are you into, what will you be using to drive your new headphones, your upper price limit? These things should help direct suggestions. Clue us in. 
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #47 of 90
My sources are my PC, and my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (Both unamped). Also, if you want to give suggestions on phones, make sure they're under 100$. I'd like it if they're around ear (Like the V6s) but that dosen't matter to me too much.

Quote:
^ ^

Depending on your source (I'm assuming an unamped Sansa Clip) they might not reach their full potential. I used to think the difference between an amped and unamped SRH440 was a lot of guff, but I've discovered it's true. They're not terrible straight from my 5G iPod (and they're about as bright as I can stand there), but the bass weight and articulation improves noticeably with some power. Still, I think they make a great portable, provided a full sized (and slightly goofy looking) circumaural form factor isn't an issue (and if you're using the V6, though bigger, the SRH440 isn't a radical departure in that regard). I'm trying not to be an evangelist as I've had mine for less than two weeks, but I find I like them a little more each day.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #48 of 90
The SRH440 is usually between $80 and $99, and I would give them a solid recommendation at this point. The Sennheiser HD4x8 series has been really well received, as well, and the most expensive one (the HD448) is usually available around $100 from what I've seen. I'd really love to hear it. HeadRoom did a comparison of four different closed headphones (the V6, the HD448, the SRH440, and the Denon D1001). Check it out:

http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=460

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #49 of 90

Quote:
You'll see from my responses what I would advise. It's up to you, of course. Normally the V6 is less expensive (usually somewhere around $65-$70 on Amazon) than any of the alternatives I mentioned earlier, but most of them will be right around the $100 price point. You're the boss. What exactly are you looking for, anyhow? Like, what genres are you into, what will you be using to drive your new headphones, your upper price limit? These things should help direct suggestions. Clue us in. 
wink.gif

I mostly listen to rock and alternative, some metal, and some of my of my rock music also has orchestral instruments (Violin, Piano, Cello) so, you could say I listen to Orchestral as well. I'd like them to be closed, and at least a bit portable (Not massive Headphones, maybe some folding capabilities?) I'd also prefer if they isolated a bit. It's quite annoying when I crank my tunes, and people around me tell me to turn it down.
blink.gif
So Closed back is a necessity. I'd prefer a more balanced headphone (maybe leaning a bit towards the bassy side but anything else is good), and that's about it...

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #50 of 90
I still prefer it for my digital piano. I've used it for mixing because of detail But it is cold, cold, cold analytical. If it sounds decent on these it will sound incredible on a musical phone, that's why they have a cult following among recordists. 

Everyone has different hearing response, and to some folks they might be great for pleasure, but I find they are a studio tool, not an enjoyment tool.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #51 of 90
I see... Yeah, I've heard that from other people too. But even after listening to a couple songs with my fake V6s, they sounded just magical. Maybe it's because I don't have so much experience with headphones as you guys do, as this my first step into the world of Full size headphones, but they were AWESOME. Magnificent. And they were FAKE. This makes me want to get the real ones even more.

Also, to Argyris, I took a look at the shootout you showed me, and since I'm also going to use the headphones I get on my Blackberry, I'm leaning more towards the Sonys and the Denons. Which one do you prefer?

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #52 of 90
Unfortunately, I've never heard the Denon ones, so I couldn't really say. I know them by reputation as warm and full-bodied, with deep but slightly uncontrolled bass. They've actually been replaced by the AH-D1100 recently, so the D1001 will likely be on sale as the remaining stock is cleared.

EDIT: I'm actually having trouble finding them at all. Looks like we'll have to chalk this one up to headphone history. A pair might appear in the FS section, or you could also consider the Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!), which actually has the same drivers as the D1001 and reportedly compares favorably.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #53 of 90
Alright, It's come down to these two headphones.

The Sony MDR-V6s, and the Sennheiser HD 448s.

In my opinion, these headphones seem to me like the fiercest competitors. I'll make a thread asking people, and I'll like it to this one. Stay tuned.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #54 of 90
Don´t think about it too much... if you feel like you still want the V6, then go for it. When I began looking for headphones through head fi, the mdr-7506 or V6 was my first choice. I took in cosideration the popularity of the cans among the pros,  Dj Paul Van Dyk uses them as his favorite cans, many metal artists record with these, so I guessed I would be hearing what they heard in the studio.

I loved them to death when I got em....still like their sound, even though I have gone up the ladder and currently enjoying Grado and Sennheisers. They perform well and you can even make them more comfortable by getting the velour pads dt250 from B&H. I think the trick is learning to enjoy different sound signatures, and developing your personal prefferences as you go up the ladder. I will never let the mdr-7506/V6 go....they will remain a part of my collection.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #55 of 90
You know I used to obsess about which one to buy,
and I'd waste hours and hours trying to figure out who to listen to.
That was a waste of time.

The best thing to do is to buy your cans from a retailer with a good return policy.
Order - Listen - Return

Repeat until you find the ones you like. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #56 of 90

Quote:

The best thing to do is to buy your cans from a retailer with a good return policy.
Order - Listen - Return

+1

You might also be able to find a music shop that carries the V6 (or the functionally identical 7506). In the US we have Guitar Center. I'm not sure what the equivalent is in Canada. If not, I agree with sugarkang. I went through quite a few before I settled on my first keeper.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #57 of 90

Quote:

Order - Listen - Return

that is a great privilege that people in the States enjoy, and yes, if you are able to do what sugarkang suggests do it. I live in Mexico and don't have that choice, so I rely on my judgment and fine suggestions from my beloved head fi community
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #58 of 90

Quote:

Quote:

Order - Listen - Return

that is a great privilege that people in the States enjoy, and yes, if you are able to do what sugarkang suggests do it. I live in Mexico and don't have that choice, so I rely on my judgment and fine suggestions from my beloved head fi community
beerchug.gif

*facepalm* Sometimes I forget everybody doesn't live here, or that things are different elsewhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back